Ashes Discussion

If Cummins isn't deemed suitable for captaining then they made a bad call making him VC. He shouldn't be the vice captain.

You have to pick your vice with the view that he could be captain at one stage- short term or long term.

I don't buy this fast bowlers can't be captain thing. Planning is nearly all done before a Test, in fact Test matches are planned to the millisecond, and as vice captain Cummins would be part of that too and know what the plan is and why.

If he's fielding away from the action, then the new VC can be someone close who can be around the action.

I think it'd be great for Smith to be vice captain, get back in the leadership role, help Cummins.

Let's not forget Smith is a guy that cracked Greg Chappell like under leadership and was stressed and exhausted. the deputy role would be a good starting point to see how he goes again.

Going from one scandalised captain to the scandalised captain from before doesn't make a lot of sense.
I agree with this but still no Vice Captain for Smith he can help for sure.
All the best captains use all resources at their disposal(just not the illegal ones).

No it’s been used to show the double standards that occur and your lack of judgement to others characters with the same cheating issues and there vastly different positions and situations as opposed to our players who suffered significantly mentally, judicially (suspension) and financially from there actions. On top of this they have been shamed and embarrassed for years in the most public and ruthless way possible. What they did was 100% wrong you and me can both agree with that. However they have suffered 700% more pain than other culprits have and still have to face further consequences today. I admire those 3 quite honestly for accepting there mistakes and taking it on the chin in a way that very few could. For all 3 of them to still stand here today playing cricket after all there struggles is quite impressive especially without a word of complaint. In my honest opinion Smith is the most qualified player for the job and we are in a position where his previous indiscretions should not stop him from captaining this side even if it is just for this series until they can forgive there shit out.
Honestly that just means there’s a wider problem. It’s a good thing aca set a proper standard imo.

No it’s been used to show the double standards that occur and your lack of judgement to others characters with the same cheating issues and there vastly different positions and situations as opposed to our players who suffered significantly mentally, judicially (suspension) and financially from there actions. On top of this they have been shamed and embarrassed for years in the most public and ruthless way possible. What they did was 100% wrong you and me can both agree with that. However they have suffered 700% more pain than other culprits have and still have to face further consequences today. I admire those 3 quite honestly for accepting there mistakes and taking it on the chin in a way that very few could. For all 3 of them to still stand here today playing cricket after all there struggles is quite impressive especially without a word of complaint. In my honest opinion Smith is the most qualified player for the job and we are in a position where his previous indiscretions should not stop him from captaining this side even if it is just for this series until they can forgive there shit out.
Well I think it is good we hold ourselves to higher standards then others.
That press conference they had with all those crocodile tears made me laugh though.
Anyway if they did choose to reinstate Smith as captain or vice captain though I would not agree I would support him as I have with Paine.

As Cummins was the Vice Captain he should be given first shot at Captain.

I don’t disagree I am happy that we put our foot down to stop it from happening again (on such a large scale). However when you choose to punish so severely and the tarnished rep, bank accounts and integrity all outweighs the crime. I believe it gets to the point where if they take it on the chin like they have than all should be forgiven after 3 almost 4 years. We should move on without being in-humane towards them (cough** cough** ENGLAND) and taking away further opportunities for them to accomplish in there lives. Whilst I do not think Pat should be the captain at all. Likewise I will support him. However where we significantly disagree is I believe Smith should be given first shot. To be honest I’d feel much better knowing Cummins has been under Smiths wing for a while before he gets captain. Cummins in my opinion is not ready and needs some time to get his head around captaincy. A crucial Ashes on home soil is not that time. So why don’t we just agree to disagree and cut the argument there.

I don’t disagree I am happy that we put our foot down to stop it from happening again (on such a large scale). However when you choose to punish so severely and the tarnished rep, bank accounts and integrity all outweighs the crime. I believe it gets to the point where if they take it on the chin like they have than all should be forgiven after 3 almost 4 years. We should move on without being in-humane towards them (cough** cough** ENGLAND) and taking away further opportunities for them to accomplish in there lives. Whilst I do not think Pat should be the captain at all. Likewise I will support him. However where we significantly disagree is I believe Smith should be given first shot. To be honest I’d feel much better knowing Cummins has been under Smiths wing for a while before he gets captain. Cummins in my opinion is not ready and needs some time to get his head around captaincy. A crucial Ashes on home soil is not that time. So why don’t we just agree to disagree and cut the argument there.
I thought we already had...
Yes, we can do it officially now.

I would have Labuschagne as Vice Captain if they choose Cummins.

The only problem I have with Cummins is he shares a name with that anal tick of a referee!

Yeah probably not. I am getting you are very against Smith but he has to be the one in Cummins ear at second fiddle if Cummins gets the role.
How about Smith in Labuschagne's ear?
Plus I'm sure he has picked up a thing or two from Smith.

Anyone but Paine would be acceptable.
... correction Lyons is not acceptable.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Labs get it. Let's be honest, the only guys guaranteed a spot at present are Warner (ineligible), Labs (really the only non-tainted / bowling option), Green (too...Green), Smith (tainted), Hazlewood (never been mentioned), Lyon (never been mentioned) and Cummins (the other candidate).

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Labs get it. Let's be honest, the only guys guaranteed a spot at present are Warner (ineligible), Labs (really the only non-tainted / bowling option), Green (too...Green), Smith (tainted), Hazlewood (never been mentioned), Lyon (never been mentioned) and Cummins (the other candidate).
Yeah that was my thinking behind it.

Yeah that was my thinking behind it.
I think it’s definitely those 3 in the running but Smudge will have one of those positions unquestionably with the lack of experience others have. I personally don’t believe Marnus is ready to immature (not in a rude way) in a light hearted but kid way. I think the fact that he is South African born won’t do him any favours.

Labuschagne isn’t an option; too immature and wouldn’t handle the other parts of the job.
Everyone is an option, even Lyons.
Maybe not good a option but a option nonetheless.

I think it’s definitely those 3 in the running but Smudge will have one of those positions unquestionably with the lack of experience others have. I personally don’t believe Marnus is ready to immature (not in a rude way) in a light hearted but kid way. I think the fact that he is South African born won’t do him any favours.
So was Pointing but how did that work out?

Responsibilty thrust upon someone can make them mature quickly.

He might just be a bit joker but that doesn't mean he can't lead.
Anyone heard of Alfred Langer?

So was Pointing but how did that work out?

Responsibilty thrust upon someone can make them mature quickly.

He might just be a bit joker but that doesn't mean he can't lead.
Anyone heard of Alfred Langer?
True… I just think we have 2 better options right now. If this happened 12 months down the track I could see it being a serious conversation but whilst he runs around the field like an over energetic clown (I don’t have a huge problem with it but some definitely do) than he probably doesn’t uphold the class and maturity a test cap probably should

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Broncosgirl
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Santa
  • RolledOates
  • lynx000
  • theshed
  • Skathen
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wild Horse
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.