Ashes Discussion

The legend of ScoBo continues... great work dragging that last over out to ensure it was the last of the day

Could've used a bit of bloody rain tonight... or even whatever slight mist it was that forced the players from the field for 1.5hr last night

That little gem from Scotty means there are three batsmen left to start tomorrow when the ball will be nothing, absolutely quality innings.

I think as long as we give a good effort tomorrow we will win thanks to Scott sticking very tough. I was border line laughing when they selected Scott at the MCG but that man will have my utmost respect as a person and his cricketing ability no matter what is to come in his career. Amazing courage and amazing ability that has consistently put Australia ahead of England.

That little gem from Scotty means there are three batsmen left to start tomorrow when the ball will be nothing, absolutely quality innings.
Just need to get through two sessions tomorrow and the game will be done and dusted.

Are they starting early tomorrow to make up for the mist on day 1?

If so it would be another boost to England if more time is added to the day for us to bat through.

Just need to get through two sessions tomorrow and the game will be done and dusted.

Are they starting early tomorrow to make up for the mist on day 1?

If so it would be another boost to England if more time is added to the day for us to bat through.
Yeah exactly. Smitty, Trav and Greeny they can go big tomorrow in scores not necessarily strike rate and we will be doing good. Carey, Scotty Starcy and Gaz to play supporting roles and realistically we are 150 away from winning cause England would have to do something they haven’t all series and make 300. Anything more than that and we are laughing, however so much time is left that the door will be left open for England to have one last dig at a big innings and a win.

How's the umpire telling the physio to get off the ground before consultation with his player

I’d love to see where everybody’s opinion on the coaching situation is. Obviously Langer has done tremendously results wise since taking over really putting us and India at the forefront of cricket in all formats arguably NZ as well but I think we have proven that India is the only team that should be competing with us at test level. JL fixed the culture and huge issues from when Sandpaper gate happened.

But at the end of the day it seems the players just aren’t quite buying in. We are doing really well at the moment but it’s seems like that enjoyment and ruthless factor isn’t present considering our successes. Our team is so capable but it seems like something just isn’t quite right from a mentality stand point whether that is enjoyment levels or another factor. Obviously JL isn’t there to be there friend and really Australian players need a thicker skin if they are worried about it. Maybe the laissez-faire England setup and losing is what our players so desperately desire.

It’s seriously quite a hard one to wrap my head around. You have reports and speculation and seemingly player opinions of dissatisfaction gracing media platforms through leaks. Yet results would suggest there isn’t an issue with the coach cause usually players struggle to play with any substance or effort when they are no longer in support of a coach. Whilst at times I do see a lack of energy and ruthless-ness from a team that is so clear in front.

From a performance perspective Justin gets a massive tick and it is hard to argue that these discussions should be occurring daily in the media but in the slight chance that players are unhappy at the end of the day their performances is the by-product and if Justin is standing in the way of them going to another level than well he should move aside or be moved aside.

Mentality of this side is so important and obviously you want a great WORKING relationship with your players (I couldn’t give a **** about outside to be honest he’s not there to be friends) but being on the road and in a bubble situation is his intense, intimidating and over controlling style to much for the players to grasp with such little freedom. Through my junior sports I always found that the intense and intimidating coaches always scared you into winning no matter how good of a coach they really were. It may sound silly but that was my experience.

I think the split red ball, white ball duties is a guarantee regardless of what happens with our next coach. I personally am backing JL in the red ball duties he has got success in Test cricket and I would be trying hard to get Trevor Bayliss as the white ball coach both for success and that’s clearly what the players want. I think our white ball team has underperformed significantly since JL even considering a t20 World Cup win but that came as a result of mostly great individual performances towards the back end.

JL survives for now but the question is whether the players opinions of him as a coach is limiting there ability to continue to improve, succeed and become one of the great ruthless sides.

Curious to see everyone else’s thoughts?

Kohli has stood down at Indian captain in Tests, I reckon they gave him the tap and he made it public to avoid the humiliation of getting dropped

It's quite obviously the right call, they're a different team when he's the man in charge, I mean different in a way that makes them less threatening. I don't know what it is but it doesn't look like it'd be a healthy team to be apart of just from watching it on TV with some of his carry on, accusing the host nation's broadcasters of cheating, that's ridiculous

He hasn't scored a 100 or more in over 2 years for the national team across the 3 formats, anyone else did that in any top team they'd be dropped for sure

Robert Craddock is reporting that the boss of English cricket has written to CA asking if England can send their young players to play in the Sheffield Shield, in a bid to stop these one sided Ashes series on Australian soil.

he says England have won just 4 matches in Australia this century. and one of 31 against India, Australia and New Zealand away from home since 2013.

Craddocks suggest that instead of trying to inject the English players in the few SS spots we have in this country (we have 6 states, compared to the 18 English counties), England should consider sending an entire team of youngsters to play in the Sheffield Shield instead of just random players.

he also says that if England really want to bridge the gap, then the should copy what was done in Australia by our high performance manager, Pat Howard, introduced the English Duke ball to the Sheffield Shield to help Australian bowlers master it before the 2019 tour of England, in which Australia retained the Ashes.

the question is would they be prepared to swallow their pride and reverse that by introducing the Kookaburra ball into English County Cricket, given they consider the duke to be the superior ball.

Yep.. just looked up our starts this series.. not pretty : 10,16,4,57,51,12,3,0

about the only real area of concern coming out of this series
True. But the new ball has offered more than any another Australian series I can remember. It’s made it super interesting viewing.

Robert Craddock is reporting that the boss of English cricket has written to CA asking if England can send their young players to play in the Sheffield Shield, in a bid to stop these one sided Ashes series on Australian soil.

he says England have won just 4 matches in Australia this century. and one of 31 against India, Australia and New Zealand away from home since 2013.

Craddocks suggest that instead of trying to inject the English players in the few SS spots we have in this country (we have 6 states, compared to the 18 English counties), England should consider sending an entire team of youngsters to play in the Sheffield Shield instead of just random players.

he also says that if England really want to bridge the gap, then the should copy what was done in Australia by our high performance manager, Pat Howard, introduced the English Duke ball to the Sheffield Shield to help Australian bowlers master it before the 2019 tour of England, in which Australia retained the Ashes.

the question is would they be prepared to swallow their pride and reverse that by introducing the Kookaburra ball into English County Cricket, given they consider the duke to be the superior ball.

Problem is why would the States stifle their own development?

That ignores they’ve nearly all played here before- Leach played at Valleys, Root played in Adelaide, Robinson for St.George, Billings for Sutherland. They’re coming here and spending summers and it hasn’t helped.

We only used the Duke post BBL so the last three rounds. They stopped nearly two years ago because it was harming our spin stocks.

You won’t replicate Australia in England the data shows the Kookaburra moves a lot for five moves- then less for 15 then nothing. A big part of that is our abrasive surfaces, they don’t have that. I wouldn’t be sure it’ll work.

No, the captain doesn't have to take blame in the sides team they field, unless he is part of the recruitment. Travis Head can't control SA having a putrid bowling attack.

So a great tactical captain but so far nothing is his responsibility.

Captain of the Redbacks is an awesome job! Don’t need to win or contribute in any way!

I don't think we should have a full team of International players in the SS. I think it should be left to the states, and who wants to recruit from overseas, but there should be a limit of 2 players in the 11 of non Australian players, because as the end of the day, SS is for creating our test players.

Captain of the Redbacks is an awesome job! Don’t need to win or contribute in any way!

Do you honestly think a captain should be responsible for the quality of players his state recruits, when he has no say in the matter?

If a team isn’t of a standard to compete with other teams, that doesn’t make it A. Your captains fault and B. Make that captain bad.

If a team isn’t of a standard to compete with other teams, that doesn’t make it A. Your captains fault and B. Make that captain bad.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Tmac
  • Bish
  • Waynesaurus
  • Pablo
  • Financeguy
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • Broncorob
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • Nerd
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.