• Total voters
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
image.scale.thumbnail.200.300.jpg

Junior Club: Toowoomba Brothers
Position: Halfback

He's leading the NYC Pointscorers tally and playing some supreme football so the question has to be asked, 'Should Ash Taylor Be Promoted To First Grade ASAP?'

Last edited:
Re: Should Ashley Taylor Be Promoted

YES!

Milford is the worst performing player in the side. Should be dropped.

The only problem is in the place of who realistically ?

Ashley Taylor is a quality talent who I believe will play NRL at some point.

However he won't be a regular in 2015, nor should he be.

I think it's important the Broncos develop him cautiously because I feel there are still areas of his game that he needs to address where he would be better off fixing them in the NYC and ISC than learning on the fly in the NRL. I believe other clubs have made the mistake of throwing their best in the deep end and not quite getting the most out of those players and I question how Taylor would go in a far more intense and physically oriented environment.

Watching the NYC compared to the NRL, it's like watching a game of OzTag compared to the real thing, the defence is a lot softer, there's more room and teams are very generous with their mistakes.

It would be an extraordinary change from Bennett to completely change the team around to fit in a rookie mid-way through the year. The ramifications of such a move would have a flow on effect and I doubt it will all be positive as the team has to make adjustments right as other teams are establishing and using combinations. Long term, it maybe the right move but I also believe timing is crucial too and right now, the time is to build on what the Broncos have, not tear the page out and move on.

And I believe that's the best in everybody's interests.

How can Taylor get a spot with Hunt and Milford being our long term halves options?

When his contract expires, or is bought out, he will carve up at another club. We of course will have Boyd carving up at FB which for mine is the only reason Milf is at 5/8 and Taylor won't get a go in the Broncos halves.

I know what I would have preferred, but that is now a pipe dream, but as others have said, it's good to dream.

Absolutely not. There is no place for him in the team and there is no rush

Pete's not necessarily wrong when he says it might be beneficial to Taylor for him to develop more, but I don't think it benefits us. Hunt is our main half. Everyone can get on board with that. I don't think anyone is expecting Taylor to find a way to force Ben Hunt out of the team.

The player who would have to move for Taylor is Milford. The guy who has shown more at fullback than five eight but is a master of neither position. The longer Milford plays five eight the less time he's spending time developing as a fullback.

If Milford is going to be the long term five eight for us no matter what, then what's it matter what Taylor does? And if we are open to moving Milford, it's potentially damaging to his development to have him develop as a five eight a little bit and then put him back to fullback.

So to answer the question, yes, because I think it's the only chance we have of having a strong Taylor, Milford and Hunt in the same side. But that said, it's not happening.

You can't rule out the possibility of Bennett using the 2015/16 pre-season to go with...

1. Anthony Milford
2. Darius Boyd
6. Ben Hunt
7. Ashley Taylor

Provided Taylor continues to dominate and improve in the reserves.

I wouldn't want a half who's happened to dominate a couple of NYC games to disrupt the development.

However, the NYC Player of the Year who's lead his team to Premiership Success and is the real deal? That could sway me and should sway Wayne.

It'd be very risky coaching to move a very experienced, proven fullback to wing to accomodate an unproven half. If Milf couldn't dislodge Boyd, Taylor isn't about to.

It's now (2015) or never imo.
The alternative is simply losing him to another team... which is exactly what will happen, because Wayne has his mind set on Milford at 5/8 and Boyd at fullback. Milford is too good a player to fail in the position, so there will be "no reason" to dislodge him from the halves, which is the only place Taylor can play.

Yes, the NRL is a whole different level to the NRL, and I don't advocate throwing a player in the deep end without taking measures, like giving him time from the bench first to adapt and understand the added difficulty. Make sure you have tactics and a strategy to protect the player, as well as to give him the best chance to succeed.

The conservative view that a rookie from the NYC will drown in the NRL has been proven wrong many times... some make it and thrive, others need more time, and the rest simply don't have it.

The only problem is in the place of who realistically ?

I don't see the problem

1. Milford
2. Boyd (moving to center when Hodges retire/is injured)
6. Hunt
7. Taylor

thats no problem, and a stronger side than what we have now IMHO. It is also a spine that could dominate for the next 5-10 and rival Manlys spine of Stewart, Foran, DCE.

not going to happen, and i dread that we will lose Taylor and have him come back to haunt us.

Boyd is a quality player, but for our needs should either be on the wing or at center. will never happen though

I would prefer to see him sent to say Redcliffe who are struggling for a decent half to further his development.

I don't see the urgency at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a cameo at some point this season. I doubt Milford and Hunt will play every single game this season and that would be Tayor's chance to get a taste and possibly grab a bench spot.

That's enough for one year.

The rest can be spent in the lower grades where he can develop into the player he can be ala Daly Cherry-Evans.

We've already seen what happens when you don't develop halves properly, they're stunted and would hate to see the same thing happen again.

He is still signed until 2016, the Broncos still have plenty of time and I believe patience is incredibly important in this circumstance.

I've made my opinion of Milford in the halves pretty clear...pretty much every day. But I think Taylor needs to play some QLD Cup first and prove himself there too.

I don't want to bring this back up but I struggle with some of the opinions here.

Boyd hasn't played a single game for us yet and people want him shifted to the wing to make way for an unproven half. Milford has a great highlight reel from last year but for those who actually watched him play, he wasn't a great deal different to now. You can already see that by the end of this season his highlight reel will be similar. His 4 tries so far would look amazing without context.

If Inglis and Slater got abducted by aliens today Boyd would walk into the Aus and QLD full back position. Milford would be lucky to get a bench spot (even if his selection was only based on last years form). Discussion is the whole point of a forum but I doubt most of you are more informed than Wayne Bennet, and the rep selectors so I don't see why you need to keep death riding Boyd at fb.

Even if our halves get injured I think the safe money would be on Niko filling in before AT. We're on top of the ladder people, relax and enjoy it.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • leon.bott
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bazza
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.