OFFICIAL Ashley Taylor to Titans

Should Ash Taylor Be Promoted ASAP

• He's A Dud, Stupid Thread

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Should Ashley Taylor Be Promoted

Well the Storm must've had the same problem for 10 years now, because no halfback, hooker or fullback is ever going to make first grade down there.

This is a good position to be in, not a bad one.

If they want to leave for the first NRL opportunity so be it.

Except Darius Boyd is not Billy Slater. And Macca is not Cam Smith.

To everyone who thinks WB won't move Boyd, I disagree. The fact we are top without him and have got decent returns from Kahu and Maranta without even needing to use Milford there just goes to show that we never needed Boyd. He's here because WB wanted him, not because we needed him. Given this, I don't see him being moved.

We'll never win the game of giving talented juniors a spot so they don't leave. There's always going to be way more talented juniors than we can make room for.

As for being at the top without him, sure, but I still think we're a way off from being serious challengers in the finals without Boyd at fullback. Kahu maybe, Boyd at the very least pushes Maranta or Reed out, and our back line will be better for it.

Well the Storm must've had the same problem for 10 years now, because no halfback, hooker or fullback is ever going to make first grade down there.

This is a good position to be in, not a bad one.

If they want to leave for the first NRL opportunity so be it.
That's BS. The Storm have never been in that position,where they had a youngster knocking hard at the door for a halves or even a spine spot.

Besides, comparing the current Broncos spine to the Storm one, is well... delusional.

Have you even seen Taylor play?

He's said this will be his last coaching stint hasn't he?..

he said he would never coach another club ... not that it would be his last contract

We'll never win the game of giving talented juniors a spot so they don't leave. There's always going to be way more talented juniors than we can make room for.

As for being at the top without him, sure, but I still think we're a way off from being serious challengers in the finals without Boyd at fullback. Kahu maybe, Boyd at the very least pushes Maranta or Reed out, and our back line will be better for it.

That's true.

I rate Kahu every bit as much as I rate Boyd. With either, we are serious challengers this year. We are serious now without either - just look at the ladder.

As I see it, Taylor will only get a spot when Hodges retires and Boyd is moved either to centre or wing, assuming he is still here.

I actually don't know this: how many young halves have been promoted straight into NRL from "juniors".

Also, from memory, and based on many posters here being concerned with Taylor's defence, there was a post here where in '05, Thurston's 1st year in NRL, he missed 8 tackles in his 1st game (and Lockyer 10).

So you teach them to tackle, and assign a defender to assist. Not exactly rocket science and we have some good defenders to mind a young newbie.

For mine, this whole Taylor thing is not about Taylor but about the fact that Bennett has earmarked Boyd for FB and Milford for 5/8 AND when Hodges will retire which is the only way I see Taylor getting a shot as a regular 1st grader ... if he is still here.

Cameron Munster has been banged on about as the next billy Slater by the media for the last 2 years. Ben Hampton was a supposed superstar, a few others who turned to nothing as well.

I'm not comparing spine quality, simple fact is, Milford is better than Taylor, that's why he was in first grade before his 18th birthday (IIRC), Boyd is a proven rep player and premiership winner (two in fact!), Hunt has been one of the form 7s in the competition and has single handedly handled half duties for a while now.

Taylor would sure need a COMPELLING case to justify shuffling the team around to fit him in.

I don't care how Taylor plays in reserves. Luke Capewell was a star in reserve grade, Williams and Cornish were talked up hugely, Brooks was talked about as the next Andrew Johns, the list goes on and on.

Being a star in reserves is not a sure thing to being a NRL star, for starters having the right mentality is just as important as talent, guys like Cronk/Slater/Smith were by all reports not big name juniors and they turned out to be amongst the best ever.

Cameron Munster has been banged on about as the next billy Slater by the media for the last 2 years. Ben Hampton was a supposed superstar, a few others who turned to nothing as well.

I'm not comparing spine quality, simple fact is, Milford is better than Taylor, that's why he was in first grade before his 18th birthday (IIRC), Boyd is a proven rep player and premiership winner (two in fact!), Hunt has been one of the form 7s in the competition and has single handedly handled half duties for a while now.

Taylor would sure need a COMPELLING case to justify shuffling the team around to fit him in.

I don't care how Taylor plays in reserves. Luke Capewell was a star in reserve grade, Williams and Cornish were talked up hugely, Brooks was talked about as the next Andrew Johns, the list goes on and on.

Being a star in reserves is not a sure thing to being a NRL star, for starters having the right mentality is just as important as talent, guys like Cronk/Slater/Smith were by all reports not big name juniors and they turned out to be amongst the best ever.

The only compelling case Taylor can make is to be given the chance to play 1st grade

I would not be looking to play Taylor full time at NRL level until 2017. The odd game before then will do his development just fine. If the NRL decide to bring in a second Brisbane side I could see Hunt or Milford being a prime target for them leaving Taylor to come through at the Broncos as I couldn't see them wanting young unproven halves to start their quest.
Ideally for me in 2017 I would like to see
1. Milford
6. Hunt
7. Taylor
14. J Nikorima

Boyd in the centres and it would not surprise if Kahu partnered him, Byrnes on one wing with ???

Milford is not my ideal choice at fullback but needs to be fitted into the team somewhere

Last edited:

I would like Taylor to be given a game, the problem is our Origin schedule won't allow him to play this year unless Bennett decides to rest players after the Origin or there are injuries.

He is a very talented player and I hope Broncos do every thing they can to keep him at the club.

Brooks is looking the goods though. Great win by the Tigers this weekend.

How do you know that isn't the case?

I don't care about what people say after seeing a few highlights from this or that player (Cornish is exactly one of those), and you won't catch me calling for a player I haven't actually seen playing often enough to have formed an opinion.
How many players have you seen me call for throughout the years here?

I was one of Wallace's staunchest defenders, not because I though he's a great halfback, but because we didn't have anyone breaking the door down to first grade to replace him, including Ben Hunt!
Actually, when I think about it, Boyd is to fullbacks what Wallace is to halfbacks. He is a rep winger, solid and reliable, but not even in the top 8 fullbacks in the NRL.

Of the players you mention, Hampton was never talked up beyond reasonable form in ISC, same thing goes for Capewell or Williams. Munster is showing his wares at the Storm, and although he will eventually take it, he has a mountain to climb to take Slater's spot right now, Brooks still needs to iron out some deficiencies, but is playing FG, and as said before, Cornish is a highlights reel player, but has never demonstrated any ability to control or organise a team.

Turned to nothing? Is their career over?

They're both young and the first players called on if the Storm need them. They're two stupid comparisons to make. Because they're being developed in ISC and playing NRL when they get a chance.

I would like Taylor to be given a game, the problem is our Origin schedule won't allow him to play this year unless Bennett decides to rest players after the Origin or there are injuries.

He is a very talented player and I hope Broncos do every thing they can to keep him at the club.

Not to mention neither Hunt nor Milford will play Origin.

Plus I'd bet on Kodi getting a game in the halves before Taylor.

PS - Jack Bird is younger than Taylor. Only by 3 days mind you, but still.

Guarantee you that if we wait til we're losing to make the suggestion people will say Milford needs time and then proceed to ask where we were with these ideas when we were winning.
QFT

Tbh I'm sick of reading 'guaranteed when this happens this will happen'.

That's all we seem to hear and that's all we heard during the off season. Many of the 'guarantees' haven't come true, yet they just aren't addressed. So basically its "I'll tell you what's going to happen... But when it doesn't lets just ignore that"

Brooks is looking the goods though. Great win by the Tigers this weekend.
Sure, great win this weekend, no argument.

That said, I'd contest your theory that Brooks looks the goods. He's been pretty average by and large.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • MasterWright
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  • Mister Wright
  • Browny
  • BroncosAlways
  • Manofoneway
  • Behind enemy lines
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.