NEWS Asiata v Taumalolo

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Broncos newchum John Asiata faces his former club in the trials this Saturday night:

“My mindset has been on being in that starting 13. This week, I’m coming off the bench. Does it hurt me? No. It’s a long year and it’s a year that if I’m not there (in the starting squad), it’s not going to change my performance. I came here with the ultimate goal to be there (in the starting side) and I won’t stop until I get there.”

“This forward pack can be the most dominant forward pack in the game. It’s a very young squad. I was speaking to [Thomas] Flegler the other day and he asked when I debuted, which was in 2014, and he said he was only in Grade 9 or 10. For me, it’s about being a leader here and help the young guys out with their game.”

28b4633da4a88097af6b12027b5afd1d

Trendsetter

“I just had a little bit of nerve damage there. I’ve had it throughout my career but one week I probably had it one too many times. (The neck brace) is just precautionary and trying to let it settle down a bit. This week I’ve had it off and in full contact and it’s been good.”

“I just wanted to look like Tatey."

McHunt

Last edited:
I really think having TPJ start is a tactic from kev. I think he is thinking it will be quite a physical game, particularly in the opening stanza, so he wants all his big middles on to soften up the cowboys middle and then let asiata try and take advantage with his ball skills.

I really think having TPJ start is a tactic from kev. I think he is thinking it will be quite a physical game, particularly in the opening stanza, so he wants all his big middles on to soften up the cowboys middle and then let asiata try and take advantage with his ball skills.
Might have thought it would take pressure off of Asiata in the game against his old team.

Asiata will be one of the buys of the season.

If we get into the 8, it will be because of him and Dearden.
Yeah I’m very excited to see what John brings to the team. It’s a very different dimension to what we’re used to in Carrigan and I’ve heard he’s great at organising the forwards.

Listening to this guy he comes across as a real professional and humble guy. I think he could be captain material, hopefully he fits well, reaches his goals and sticks around long term if he delivers.

Yeah I’m very excited to see what John brings to the team. It’s a very different dimension to what we’re used to in Carrigan and I’ve heard he’s great at organising the forwards.

Well, on last night's performance, you're excitement is justified I reckon. It's so so good to have a true leader in the forwards and his presence in that regard really showed until he went off. Buy of the season for mine. Much more useful to us than JT2.

It was interesting how we where using him, it was more like a 3rd playmaker rather then a typical forward(Similar to what Souths where doing with Benji on Thursday), it really livened our attack and made us extremely dangerous on the edges.

It was interesting how we where using him, it was more like a 3rd playmaker rather then a typical forward(Similar to what Souths where doing with Benji on Thursday), it really livened our attack and made us extremely dangerous on the edges.

Spread the ball from the middle so much better. He was probably the biggest loss.

Spread the ball from the middle so much better. He was probably the biggest loss.
I think the loss of Asiata really did **** the rotation up.

Lodge was gone at the 20min mark so that was likely when Asiata was scheduled to come on anyway, and Teo was seemingly holding his own at center. Teo was likely only going to get token 15mins at the end of the game.

However, losing Asiata combined with TPJ being unable to last beyond 20mins in a stint, suddenly meant Carrigan wasn't going to get a break and at some point we would have a middle 3 of Flegler, Bullemor and Carrigan. That is just an extremely young middle 3 coming up against Brown, Paulo and Papalii (who played like a man possessed), not to mention those 3 middles have barely tasted an NRL win in the last 2 years.

So agree with this. And how long has it been since we have had a true leader of, and amongst our forwards?

If he stays fit I reckon he will be instrumental in making us competitive in all our matches.

one of the real shames of that game was seeing him leave the game...

Certainly it appears we are going to use him much better than Paytons use of Tamo up at the Cowboys...

Wishing him a speedy recovery...

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.