NEWS Assume brace position: coach unveils incoming supersub

So....this must mean, if true, that Turps is the back up half if anything happens to Milf or Croft...

Happy for Jesse though, the kids seized a opportunity and grabbed it...though im thinking his future maybe is a centre, even a fullback....

I don't think he will let anyone down, and his defense is whats keeping Coates out currently id say..
Yep, if Croft goes down we wind back the clock to 2019, minus Matt Gillett.

Hoppa won't be there- I am almost certain you will see Kennedy, Isaako, McCullough and Flegler on the bench.

Kahu hurt his calf yesterday too.
You're basing that Bench on Glenn being passed fit I'm guessing?

Is the Bench honestly something that can be helped at this stage?

If Glenn is fit, it'll be:

Macca
Flegler
Kennedy
Isaako

If Glenn isn't passed fit, presumably TPJ shifts to an edge, Flegler starts, and then another middle would need to come in, presumably Hopoate.

The Bench in the first scenario is fine considering we're already down two regular middle Forwards in Lodge and Offa.

The Bench in the second scenario is obviously worse, but when you take 3 regular, big bodied middle Forwards (TPJ shifts to an edge) off most clubs I'd say most Benches would start to look pretty thin.

I also really don't see the fuss about playing Isaako and not having another Forward given the makeup of our Forward Pack.

Currently you have Haas who can play huge (60-65) minutes and only needs a player to cover at most 20 minutes for him - so Kennedy ticks that box fine.

TPJ needs a little more rest (maybe 50-55 minutes) so Flegler can cover his additional minutes.

Both edge Backrowers in Glenn and Fifita both play 80 minutes, so no issue there.

Then you have Carrigan at Lock who has a massive motor and can probably punch out a full game or close to it (65-80 minutes) with Flegler making up any small difference.

Basically it makes an additional Forward on the Bench obsolete and probably means its far more prudent for us to carry a spare Outside Back as coverage if we can. Isaako may not be ideal, but the strategy to only run two Forwards on the Bench isn't really a problem as I see it.

Last edited:
Is the Bench honestly something that can be helped at this stage?

If Glenn is fit, it'll be:

Macca
Flegler
Kennedy
Isaako

If Glenn isn't passed fit, presumably TPJ shifts to an edge, Flegler starts, and then another middle would need to come in, presumably Hopoate.

The Bench in the first scenario is fine considering we're already down two regular middle Forwards in Lodge and Offa.

The Bench in the second scenario is obviously worse, but when you take 3 regular, big bodied middle Forwards (TPJ shifts to an edge) off most clubs I'd say most Benches would start to look pretty thin.

I also really don't see the fuss about playing Isaako and not having another Forward given the makeup of our Forward Pack.

Currently you have Haas who can play huge (60-65) minutes and only needs a player to cover at most 20 minutes for him - so Kennedy ticks that box fine.

TPJ needs a little more rest (maybe 50-55 minutes) so Flegler can cover his additional minutes.

Both edge Backrowers in Glenn and Fifita both play 80 minutes, so no issue there.

Then you have Carrigan at Lock who has a massive motor and can probably punch out a full game or close to it (65-80 minutes) with Flegler making up any small difference.

Basically it makes an additional Forward on the Bench obsolete and probably means its far more prudent for us to carry a spare Outside Back as coverage if we can. Isaako may not be ideal, but the strategy to only run two Forwards on the Bench isn't really a problem as I see it.
Just because they can play big minutes, it doesn't mean they're effective for all those minutes , have seen haas & TPJ both make bad defensive reads when under fatigue. Throw in flegler aswell and that's a disaster waiting to happen.

This bench would make more sense if Lodge was fit, tpj was in the second row, and Glenn was on the bench instead of Macca. Glenn can cover hooker (if we’re desperate) and centre as well as playing a normal forward role in the case of no injuries.

Last edited:
Just because they can play big minutes, it doesn't mean they're effective for all those minutes , have seen haas & TPJ both make bad defensive reads when under fatigue. Throw in flegler aswell and that's a disaster waiting to happen.
Yeah I'm not suggesting it's ideal, but in the circumstances I'm not sure that Seibold can really be blamed. We're well down on troops all in the same position and that's not something we can really do a great deal about.

Last edited:
This bench would make more sense if Lodge was fit, tpj was in the second row, and Glenn was on the bench instead of Macca. Glenn can cover hooker (if we’re desperate) and centre as well as playing a normal forward role in the case of no injuries.
It's not good enough to have a guy who 'can cover if we're desperate' coming on at Dummy Half when Turpin is going to require a spell literally every single week.

Macca is a necessary evil until either Turpin can play 80, Paix can come up to NRL level off our Bench, or both.

Last edited:
It's not good enough to have a guy who 'can cover if we're desperate' coming on at Dummy Half when Turpin is going to require a spell literally every single week.

Macca is a necessary evil until either Turpin can play 80, Paix can come up to NRL level off our Bench, or both.

God help us

Why Isaako as a utility, dead set. Chuck in the fact that Boyd and Macca will be in the 17.
I wouldn't be surprised to see 2020 start as 2019 ended.

Why Isaako as a utility, dead set. Chuck in the fact that Boyd and Macca will be in the 17.
I wouldn't be surprised to see 2020 start as 2019 ended.

If you want to have a back/utility on the bench, Oates makes far more sense.

I'd do this:

1. Bird
2. Farnworth
3. Staggs
4. Arthars
5. Coates/Isaako
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Flegler
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Dearden/Paix
15. TPJ
16. Kennedy
17. Oates

Yes, it isn't a great side but it is better for not having Boyd or Macca in it AND it gives the kids a chance to shine.

If you want to have a back/utility on the bench, Oates makes far more sense.

I'd do this:

1. Bird
2. Farnworth
3. Staggs
4. Arthars
5. Coates/Isaako
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Flegler
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Dearden/Paix
15. TPJ
16. Kennedy
17. Oates

Yes, it isn't a great side but it is better for not having Boyd or Macca in it AND it gives the kids a chance to shine.
Playing Dearden in a cameo role of the bench is an absolutely dreadful idea. For a club like Brisbane who has history killing careers with cameo roles that drag on for too long off the bench, you'd think we'd have learnt our lesson by now.

If Dearden isn't our starting Half, he should be playing 80 minutes of Queensland Cup, nothing else.

I should've mentioned that:

"likely bench of Isaako, Hopoate, Andrew McCullough and Rhys Kennedy"

Good grief.
What the absolute **** is this.

Gotta be a smokescreen or something surely.

My question is why potentially Macca? Turpin with 2 full pre seasons and a solid season in 1st grade should be capable of managing 80mins.

If Turpin and Mccullough are both going to be on the field together I assume Turpin will be the one playing lock, at least he can run.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Swordfish
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fozz
  • Santa
  • Kev_Guz
  • broncsgoat
  • johnny plath
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • Clintos
  • Midean
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • leon.bott
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.