Auckland Nines Line-Up

I think maybe they were asked to delay it so the Warriors could name theirs first.

Good squad IMO, gives a lot of the fringe/depth players a chance to impress and didn't go overboard with selecting the players likely to make the regular 17. Plenty of trials in the preseason we can field our stronger sides.

Of course the big news out of that is that this will be the first time we'll get to see Anthony Milford in a Brisbane Broncos jersey. Personally, I didn't expect him to debut so early but I'm glad he'll participate and it's a huge boost for the Auckland 9s campaign. To see him, Kodi & Jayden work in tandem could be very entertaining.

Couple of surprise picks there...

McCullough being preferred as captain could be an indication of where he's at in the captaincy stakes. Originally I thought it was going to be Alex Glenn based on the media articles but it appears it was merely wishful thinking. Regardless, it's going to be a big test but if McCullough plays like he did in the last competition, he'll step up.

Joe Boyce is one of those signings I keep forgetting about but when I saw him in the team photo, I thought he'd be included in this tournament.

Didn't consider Maranta. It's a good opportunity to see how good he handles free-flowing football.

Didn't expect to see Molo so early since he had surgery on his shoulder. It will be a good opportunity for him, Adams and Ofahengaue to show their wares.

A little bit disappointed to see Nicholls named ahead of Taylor but that's only because I've seen a lot more of the latter.

Finally the only other surprise was to see Opacic named ahead of Drew. That's a pretty good indication of where Bennett rates Jordan at this point in time. It's a shame too, because I think Drew would fit in a lot better than Opacic who is a no-thrills work-horse wing as opposed to Drew who is a lot more skillful and has great foot-work.

I'm pleased will get a look at how good Eden is.

Did Taylor have any surgery done in the offseason? his had a few injuries so maybe they are delaying his return?

It may be the 9's but boy do I love it when a preseason squad/side is named, reminds me the season is coming :takdir:

Last edited:
Not that I'm aware of.

He was never pictured with the rehab group and no news emerged of any potential injury.

I suspect Nicholls may have been picked for some balance. A lot of young talent in that squad, considering Nicholls has played in several different competitions he may have been given the nod over the inexperienced Taylor.

Injuries could be the reason why Opacic was selected over Drew but it's pretty suspect given the rumours.

All said and done it won't make a difference, Milford and the Nikorima brothers and hopefully Eden will thrive with open space to work with, though I doubt we will go as well as last season.

If this was a touch footy comp we would have it locked up. I'm a little worried about our defense.

Pretty disappointed that me mate Garbutt isn't there.. was hoping for another 50m run away try.

Quite happy with this team. We're not risking too many key players and we'll get a good look at some of our promising juniors. Not thrilled that McC has been named captain but so long as we get to see the Nikorimii and Milford together I'm happy.

excited to see the nikorimas and Milford in this format. Speed overload.

The season feels so close now I'm so excited

Did Taylor have any surgery done in the offseason? his had a few injuries so maybe they are delaying his return?

It may be the 9's but boy do I love it when a preseason squad/side is named, reminds me the season is coming :takdir:

He's fit, was in Emerging Camp on the weekend.

Not that I'm aware of.

He was never pictured with the rehab group and no news emerged of any potential injury.

I suspect Nicholls may have been picked for some balance. A lot of young talent in that squad, considering Nicholls has played in several different competitions he may have been given the nod over the inexperienced Taylor.

Injuries could be the reason why Opacic was selected over Drew but it's pretty suspect given the rumours.

Drew hasn't done enough in the off-season. He's been away.

Had a feeling we would see some of these surprises especially Opacic. From what i have heard the pre season torture camp they had has gone a long way to deciding who Wayne picked. Some talent left out, but if the right attitude isn't there from the players then it doesnt matter how talented they are.

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Maddy
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.