Australia v England 'Gabba Test

Marsh 236 runs at 39. (3 50's)
Maxwell 200 runs at 40. (2 50's)

How has lack of runs cost Maxwell when you say Marsh is in form- 36 runs becomes good form?
Marsh is a safer selection though for reasons that you are already aware of. I'm not saying it is the proper selection but probably the best option considering the sorry state of Aussie domestic cricket.

Paine has been in the Tasmanian system since the age of 19. I don't think he has forgotten how to keep just because he has done it sporadically of late. I've seen fans suggesting Bancroft or Handscomb should wear the gloves which is absolutely laughable. The selection of Paine will pay off.

Even if he's the best keeper we have from a skill standpoint the fact that he's played 3 games in the last 2 years as a keeper hints that he's battling through a chronic injury that will never go away, one wrong hit to the finger at the start of a match and we are in severe trouble. Nevill is also an objectively superior batsman who had the misfortune of batting in some tough series behind Mitch Marsh, aka constantly coming in during a full blown or mini collapses. He was dropped from not scoring runs so went away and scored three first class tons.

Marsh is a safer selection though for reasons that you are already aware of. I'm not saying it is the proper selection but probably the best option considering the sorry state of Aussie domestic cricket.

How is he safe exactly? Marsh has failed big time in Aus against decent sides, and even performed horribly against a very, very average pace attack in the form of India. If anything his test form in Aus, save for one huge knock against the might of the West Indies, proves that he's the opposite of safe.

But how is Marsh a safer option? Is it his rare ability to string together big innings? His ability to totally implode ala India a few years ago? His inability to get through most series before getting injured? His ability to somehow keep getting chances, even in the very much veteran age bracket now, despite there being younger, likely better but definitely not worse options being available?

But how is Marsh a safer option? Is it his rare ability to string together big innings? His ability to totally implode ala India a few years ago? His inability to get through most series before getting injured? His ability to somehow keep getting chances, even in the very much veteran age bracket now, despite there being younger, likely better but definitely not worse options being available?
Safer as in he might perform in a crisis rather than an inconsistent and erratic Maxwell. I am trying to portray what the selectors are thinking. Like I said, I'm a Maxwell fan and you are right, Marsh has had a plethora of chances but unfortunately there is no one in FC cricket demanding selection. Hence the Marsh selection for the umpteenth time.

Safer as in he might perform in a crisis rather than an inconsistent and erratic Maxwell. I am trying to portray what the selectors are thinking. Like I said, I'm a Maxwell fan and you are right, Marsh has had a plethora of chances but unfortunately there is no one in FC cricket demanding selection. Hence the Marsh selection for the umpteenth time.

Let's not forget here that Cartwright averages nearly 50 through a fair sample size of games, Lehmann has hit back-to back centuries one game ago basically and averages in the early-mid 40s. Patterson can't even get discussed and he averages early to mid 40s too. I know you are just trying to justify the selectors thought process but it doesn't change the fact that it is ridiculous, there is no point trying to justify going back to the same option each time, particularly when Marsh is basically on par with the incumbent player he has usurped.

Even if he's the best keeper we have from a skill standpoint the fact that he's played 3 games in the last 2 years as a keeper hints that he's battling through a chronic injury that will never go away, one wrong hit to the finger at the start of a match and we are in severe trouble. Nevill is also an objectively superior batsman who had the misfortune of batting in some tough series behind Mitch Marsh, aka constantly coming in during a full blown or mini collapses. He was dropped from not scoring runs so went away and scored three first class tons.

Paine hasn't kept in three games in two years because of injury. He played five games last year for the 2's and three shield games. He wasn't Marsh's pick as the number one keeper in Tasmania. Marsh was sacked and he played the last three games last season.

This year he's played three Shield games just at first slip. He simply hasn't been Tasmania's first choice keeper for two years.

There are plenty of players having great Shield seasons and scoring runs. They're not getting picked. Last year they did and now we've gone backwards.

Bancroft 442 runs
Weatherald 419 runs
Harris 253 runs
Lehmann 249 runs

All more runs than Marsh. Story is that Stonis was option one and because of the thing going on in his life wasn't considered.

Last edited:
England XI: Alastair Cook, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Joe Root (c), Dawid Malan, Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, Jimmy Anderson, Jake Ball.

Australia XI: David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith (c), Peter Handscomb, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine (wk), Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

Maxwell cover for Warner and or Marsh.

Australia XI: David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith (c), Peter Handscomb, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine (wk), Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

Maxwell cover for Warner and or Marsh.

Marsh injured AGAIN?

Story is that Stonis was option one and because of the thing going on in his life wasn't considered.

Huh, how, what, why? He has been in HORRIBLE FC form the past two years, and sports a 50 bowling average as a medium pacer. How the hell was he the selectors' favorite for the job? What's with WA players getting gifted caps?

Let's go boys!

Hoping we win the toss and have a bat, although I haven't seen the pitch (The last Gabba pitch was green af)

Either way it's going to be a ripping start, we either get to see Warner smashing them and Bancroft on debut, or Starc & Cummins steaming in at 150 km's an hour. Keen!

Ready to go.

Don't bowl, never bowl. It's sunny- first session will be hard work it will move sideways but after that it will be a batting utopia.

Ponting 1335 runs at 63
Clarke 1030 runs at 103
Hayden 901 runs at 60
Slater 675 runs at 84

The 'Gabba is a batting wonderland if you work hard for the first session. Nasser still has nightmares about not batting. We haven't lost here since 1988!

Bancroft will see off the shine and Warner will make runs.

Australia's strength their bowling still has some weakness- Lyon has the best average of any of our bowlers at the 'Gabba. England have a lot of left handers too which given Lyon's great 'Gabba record he will love it come day three.

Hazlewood will be our best bowler at the 'Gabba. One game before today is a bit of a worry but finds his rhythm and England will knick off to him.

England are similar to Australia- they're two seven out of ten teams. Both sides need someone to support their two superstars.

Stoneman is the batsman I like. Gritty and organised.

Ball really isn’t doing much there, the boys will have to work hard.

Meanwhile, get excited!!!! European Curling championships are on today! The drama, the angst, the passion, or while watching supersonic speed sweepers, tune in, you know you want to.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • westy316
  • BroncosAlways
  • winslow_wong
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Skyblues87
  • Culhwch
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Organix
  • Midean
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Browny
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.