4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green (batsman only)
7. Carey
8. Agar
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Boland

To me, the only real question is the Agar spot. I wouldn't pick him because plain and simply, he just isn't very good but they will pick him because he can bat a bit, even though he will just get ducks most likely. Head is a better bat and better spin bowler and that says all you need to know about Agar. I really would have taken Hardie over and played him or even Neser.

Green doesn’t make the side as batter only (for me) particularly untested in India.

Green doesn’t make the team as a batter only, only in India for mine. Tactically we can’t go in with 2 spinners and 2 quicks with Green at 6. If Green is 6 we are better off just having Head and Labs shoulder the load and have 3 quicks 1 spinner. Or logically a not fully fit Green sits out so we can tactically be the part in a game we are already not full strength.

Worst case scenario is you only need 20 or so rounds done so at least a team can be named for round 1.

Starc averages 50 with the ball in India so I don't think he's ahead of Hazlewood whose average there is 32, regardless of batting.
That surprises me. Starc obviously extremely important with reverse swing later in the innings when we need to vary from spin. But I also believe Starc averages more with the bat than several of our actual batsmen.
Green doesn’t make the team as a batter only, only in India for mine. Tactically we can’t go in with 2 spinners and 2 quicks with Green at 6. If Green is 6 we are better off just having Head and Labs shoulder the load and have 3 quicks 1 spinner. Or logically a not fully fit Green sits out so we can tactically be the part in a game we are already not full strength.
I think Green is a must, especially if he is going to be able to bowl from the 2nd test. The more exposure he has, the better. I'm totally against "picking for the future" in tests, I think you should always pick your best side to win that test, but Green is an absolute exception. Ignoring the fact that his batting is probably good enough to get him in the side by it's own, he is a once in a generation talent and needs as much time in the baggy green as possible. And really, who do you want to drop him for? Handscombe? Renshaw?

I reckon they will go:

1. Warner
2. Khawaja
3. Labushagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green (batsman only)
7. Carey
8. Agar
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Boland

To me, the only real question is the Agar spot. I wouldn't pick him because plain and simply, he just isn't very good but they will pick him because he can bat a bit, even though he will just get ducks most likely. Head is a better bat and better spin bowler and that says all you need to know about Agar. I really would have taken Hardie over and played him or even Neser.
If you are picking Green purely to bat, I would rather go Renshaw. He's got experience in the conditions and has proven he can do well over there.

That said in an ideal world you would just drop Agar all together and have both Renshaw and Green (with bowling). No chance they do that though given Agar is the new S Marsh.

If you are picking Green purely to bat, I would rather go Renshaw. He's got experience in the conditions and has proven he can do well over there.

That said in an ideal world you would just drop Agar all together and have both Renshaw and Green (with bowling). No chance they do that though given Agar is the new S Marsh.

You could go with a deeper line up and play Renshaw and basically use Renshaw + Head + Smith + Labs as your 4th and 5th bowler and play Boland Cummins and Lyon as your front liners. Maybe even see if Green can bowl even 2 or 3 overs. Very very risky but no more risky than playing a very useless Agar.

The only thing going for Agar is he is a left armer. Skill for skill, I think Head is a better bowler.

I wouldnt be picking Green as a batter only. He is really a bowling all rounder not a batting all rounder. Either put Agar up there and run another bowler or just run with someone like Renshaw

I wouldnt be picking Green as a batter only. He is really a bowling all rounder not a batting all rounder. Either put Agar up there and run another bowler or just run with someone like Renshaw
No he is definetly a batting all-rounder he just doesnt have enough versatility to bat at 6 in India if he is injured. If he is batting 5 and Travis gets dropped fine (not that I think that will or should happen) but to bat at 6 with your keeper at 7 and no other all-rounders it becomes a very tough ask for not only the 2 quicks but the 2 spinners if thats the path they take.

I'd pick Green for his batting. He top scored and was MoM in Sri Lanka for his batting on a tough, spinning deck.

Some of this chat about Green's batting is really horrid. Someone actually said he is good enough for 5, but not for 6 because of versatility? What allrounder is going at 6 instead of him?

Some of this chat about Green's batting is really horrid. Someone actually said he is good enough for 5, but not for 6 because of versatility? What allrounder is going at 6 instead of him?

I agree with your point but I’d argue Hardie. However he isn’t there so it is a moot point.

I agree with your point but I’d argue Hardie. However he isn’t there so it is a moot point.
Hardie should have toured. Same with Neser. It looks like Green won't even play the first test at all, so discussion is pointless.

Green can't be in the side as a batter only until he gets a few more scores, he played a great innings in Sri Lanka so there's a bit of hope that he can handle the sub-continental conditions but if you look at his record, it really doesn't warrant a batter only slot.

He gets in as an all-rounder for mine.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncoFan94
  • winslow_wong
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • bb_gun
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Dash
  • Santa
  • cento
  • Lurker
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fatboy
  • Jazza
  • broncos4life
  • matthewransom34@ic
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.