Australia v Sri Lanka

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Side named today for two Tests.

They have to get this right but a few things it's a day night Test and the Ashes is getting closer.

Do they rest the bowlers or do they need to bowl and find form? A swing option wouldn't hurt given it's a pink ball and could be used in England.

I think our best bowling back up is Richardson, Pattinson, Tremain or if you wanted a young fast bowler Meredith.

Worrell can swing it but he's always injured but his three games this year have been high quality.

Batting wise I don't think we can change too much, Renshaw, Burns and Patterson maybe if they drop Marsh times two and Handscomb.

I'd like to think Pucovski or Sangha won't come into the conversation but these are strange days.

Last edited:
I just read the Marsh's are set to be dropped, along with Handscomb.

Pucovski is tipped to be named. Burns/Renshaw also in conversation.

If they do pick Pucovski then I just hope they're prepared to be patient and stick with him.

If they do pick Pucovski then I just hope they're prepared to be patient and stick with him.

Gee that would be massive, I'd err on the side of caution. Mentally and physically he needs to play Shield cricket and get through that then you could maybe look at him as the reserve for the Ashes just along for the ride.

Gee that would be massive, I'd err on the side of caution. Mentally and physically he needs to play Shield cricket and get through that then you could maybe look at him as the reserve for the Ashes just along for the ride.
Agreed. I suppose he's older than Renshaw was when he debuted, but he obviously didn't have the same mental health issues Pucovski has publicly admitted to. I see there's already an article that has been released today focusing on him and his mental demons, so I'm going to take that as confirmation that he's in the squad.

I think spending time with the squad would be massively beneficial for him, and I suppose we should really be happy that the selectors for finally picking someone with "runs on the board" - even though it's such a small sample size. It's at least better than trying what doesn't work over and over again.

Agreed. I suppose he's older than Renshaw was when he debuted, but he obviously didn't have the same mental health issues Pucovski has publicly admitted to. I see there's already an article that has been released today focusing on him and his mental demons, so I'm going to take that as confirmation that he's in the squad.

I think spending time with the squad would be massively beneficial for him, and I suppose we should really be happy that the selectors for finally picking someone with "runs on the board" - even though it's such a small sample size. It's at least better than trying what doesn't work over and over again.

It can be the same sort of error, we pick guys averaging 30 in Shield and think they will pump that by 20 against better players- they won't.

Now we are picking guys that physically and mentally are struggling to get through a Shield season and thinking three months away from home will be fine.

It can be the same sort of error, we pick guys averaging 30 in Shield and think they will pump that by 20 against better players- they won't.

Now we are picking guys that physically and mentally are struggling to get through a Shield season and thinking three months away from home will be fine.

A fair point - but at least they are picking him for a small series in Australia first before shipping him off to England I suppose.

It's been confirmed that he's in on cricket.com.au

Australia squad for first Test against Sri Lanka: Tim Paine (c/wk), Josh Hazlewood (vc), Joe Burns, Pat Cummins, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Will Pucovski, Matt Renshaw, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle

Finch, Handscomb, S. Marsh and M. Marsh are out.

Burns, Renshaw and Pucovski are in.

So seven bats and three of them (four if you include Khawaja) are openers. Looking quite ominous for Pucovski. I'd love to see him given the two tests and it is great to see Burns back. I really would have liked to have seen Richardson and Pattinson bought into the side but the selectors LOVE this bowling quartet.

I'd go:

1. Harris
2. Renshaw
3. Khawaja
4. Burns
5. Head/Labamba
6. Pucovski
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

A fair point - but at least they are picking him for a small series in Australia first before shipping him off to England I suppose.

It's head scratching sometimes- Labuschagne was criticised for having four Shield 100's and playing Tests but we potentially replace him with a guy with two.

It's just the late 80's all over again.

Handscomb marginally hard done by again. Feel like he should've remained in the squad. I like the Pucovski inclusion, despite the concussion concerns, he's one of the only guys to make a huge score this summer.

1. Harris
2. Renshaw
3. Khawaja
4. Pucovski
5. Burns
6. Labuschagne
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Would have Marnus play the Gilchrist role, counter-attack and play aggressively, with 2 rocks either side of him (Burns/Paine), he averages 38 with a S/R of 85 in List A games for a reason, he's a naturally aggressive player who's trying too hard to be a Test player, the anti-Renshaw.

It's head scratching sometimes- Labuschagne was criticised for having four Shield 100's and playing Tests but we potentially replace him with a guy with two.

It's just the late 80's all over again.

If he plays, it could really derail his career or make him into a genuine legend. Given the mental health issues, it is VERY risky BUT throwing him in against SL is better than throwing him in against India. He is probably just along for the experience though at this point.

Does this mean Burns is being picked as a reverse Finch? Makes his runs as an opener but will bat in the middle order?

Side named today for two Tests.

They have to get this right but a few things it's a day night Test and the Ashes is getting closer.

Do they rest the bowlers or do they need to bowl and find form? A swing option wouldn't hurt given it's a pink ball and could be used in England.

I think our best bowling back up is Richardson, Pattinson, Tremain or if you wanted a young fast bowler Meredith.

Worrell can swing it but he's always injured but his three games this year have been high quality.

Batting wise I don't think we can change too much, Renshaw, Burns and Patterson maybe if they drop Marsh times two and Handscomb.

I'd like to think Pucovski or Sangha won't come into the conversation but these are strange days.
I like the look of Meredith, has some serious wheels. too early though probably, can he bowl 20 overs in a day. I'd love to see Pattinson back.

Pattinson should've 100% been in the squad over Siddle. No idea how Siddle is still in consideration really, he's been steadily declining for 3 or 4 years.

I feel like the selectors still didn't get it right BUT dare I say it, this is certainly a step in the right direction.

Handscomb can feel a little hard done by, I know he has issues but I do feel he is one of the best 6 bats in Australia, though easy to argue against that.

Patterson is the glaring omission. He should be in the squad and playing.

Labusyringe should never have been picked but he is, so give him the two SL tests to see if he shows improvement.

Pucovski is either a bold or terrible call, time will tell and especially depending on whether he plays or not.

Burns is a no-brainer but where does he bat? Seems he is dropping into the middle order.

Head simply isn't good enough, lacks the required concentration for test level and I would have stuck with Handscomb over him.

The bowlers will simply not be dropped no matter how poorly they do it seems, though I suspect CA might be holding out on Pattinson as a secret trump card for the Ashes provided he can get through the remainder of the Shield season and if so, I think this is a very wise move. You could certainly argue Tremain and /or Richardson should be given a chance against SL and I would not disagree.

Burns, Renshaw, Labuschagne and Pucovski are all paying in a 3 day D/N game against Sri Lanka Jan 17-19 where Burns is captain. I daresay that will be a bat off for the test match.

Cricket Australia XI squad
Joe Burns (c), Kurtis Patterson (vc), Scott Boland, Jake Doran (wk), Jon Holland, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Will Pucovski, Jason Sangha, Matt Renshaw, Chris Tremain

Pattinson should've 100% been in the squad over Siddle. No idea how Siddle is still in consideration really, he's been steadily declining for 3 or 4 years.

Siddle is low maintenance and ready to go, never injured fit and in. What are you going to get with Pattinson? Four SS games this year, none last year, five the year before, four, three, none.

2012/2013- five game and 25 wickets was productive wicket wise.

One game in 2011/2012.

Siddle has three games and 10 wickets this year and Pattinson four games and nine wickets.

I'd go with the ready to go guy.

Active Now

• Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Johnny92
  • Tim K
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Hoof Hearted
  • RolledOates
  • Manifesto
  • leon.bott
  • Brocko
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.