Australian Team

The Rock said:
Just so you guys know, the Australian team isn't picked off 3 measly games of origin per year, it's picked off form from the entire year as well as incumbants. So stop getting your knickers in a knot, if there are 5-6 blues in that team then they bloody well deserve it. Get off your damn high horse people.

Brett Morris deserves a spot. Gallen deserves a spot. Lewis HAS to be on the bench. Lahrs should definitely be on the bench. Watmogh should be there too.

Lewis and Lahrs is being named in, or as a contender, in most people's teams here.

On what possible basis do the others deserve inclusion?

Bird should be there, agreed. hes a grub, a prick of a player, and one of the dirtiest players to ever play our game, but he can also play some good football.

lewis on the bench for sure, lahrs, well im not so sure about him. Morris? pull the other one. that guy gets found out in defence so often its not funny. watmough kinda deserves it, but not before any of the QLD forwards.

*edit: bird, not gallen.

Anonymous person said:
Gallen should be there, agreed. hes a grub, a prick of a player, and one of the dirtiest players to ever play our game, but he can also play some good football.

I keep hearing people say that, but I honestly can't recall anything good he's done. Ever.

Yes we all know the Australian side come October/November will look incredibly different. It doesn't stop us from speculating what the squad would look like it it was picked now.

Come October though, I'd imagine the selections would be largely influenced by the Grand Final.

And say if the Dragons won.

The likes of Boyd, Morris, Gasnier, Soward, Weyman, Creagh and Young will all get a look.

Coxy said:
Anonymous person said:
Gallen should be there, agreed. hes a grub, a prick of a player, and one of the dirtiest players to ever play our game, but he can also play some good football.

I keep hearing people say that, but I honestly can't recall anything good he's done. Ever.
oops my bad, i meant bird. i get the 2 douches confused.

i agree about gallen, he sucks. ill edit my post lol.

The Rock said:
Brett Morris deserves a spot. Gallen deserves a spot. Lewis HAS to be on the bench. Lahrs should definitely be on the bench. Watmogh should be there too.

Sorry, you lost me at "Brett Morris deserves a spot". Seriously, ahead of who? Ahead of Boyd? I don't think so. And he won't be picked over Hayne.

The Rock said:
Why not Morris?? He was great in the Australia team earlier in the year and he's been great all year. Ooohh I'm sorry I forgot, you have to play orsm in origin to be eligible to play for Aus.....Lolz!!!

Watmough has been good all series and good for manly this year and he was in the Aus team earlier in the year. Done nothing to lose his spot. Gallen too. Sure he's a grub and a liability sometimes but **** he's one hell of a worker, one of the most passionate players in the game, he actually hurts in defence unlike Harrison the big girl. How is Harrison a certainty???? Sure he's been great but he's not certainty. I'd have Gallen and Watmough offer way more ban Harrison.

Seriously you lot think that just because you've won 5 straight origin series that the whole Aus teaM should be QLD players! Talk about arrogance. Are you forgetting that there are 26 rounds of footy and 4 weeks worth of finals too? Get your frigging hand off it.

No one is going to take you seriously when you keep suggesting that Morris deserves a place. [icon_lol1.

The Rock said:
he actually hurts in defence unlike Harrison the big girl.
then who was the even bigger girl that harrison absolutely crunched last night, and couldnt get to his feet til about 2 tackles later? eusa_think

The Rock said:
Just so you guys know, the Australian team isn't picked off 3 measly games of origin per year, it's picked off form from the entire year as well as incumbants. So stop getting your knickers in a knot, if there are 5-6 blues in that team then they bloody well deserve it. Get off your damn high horse people.

Spoken like a true New South Welshman.

Origin is the pinnicle of Rugby league. Yes of course the rest of the season counts but if you can perfom in origin then obviously it shows you can handle big pressure in rep games. The NSW players you named are promising and a couple should be there if they maintain consistent form at club level, but not at the expense of most Queensland players providing they can do the same.

1. Slater
2. Hayne
3. Inglis
4. Tonga
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Shillington
9. Smith
10. Civo
11. Thaiday
12. Myles
13. Bird

14. Lewis
15. Scott
16. Hannant
17. Learoyd-Lahrs

Rock, just accept it. Queensland players have most positions covered. It's not arrogance, it's fact. If you can't see that then you're a fool.

The Rock said:
Why not Morris?? He was great in the Australia team earlier in the year and he's been great all year. Ooohh I'm sorry I forgot, you have to play orsm in origin to be eligible to play for Aus.....Lolz!!!
Has nothing to do with him playing badly in origin so before you assume why I've made that opinion, maybe I could actually tell you and you could get your friggin hand off it?

Morris has been good this year, Boyd has been superb. Slater will be at fullback, meaning Boyd should (and deserves to be) on one wing and they will have to find a place for Hayne (not based on form, but they will do it). Tell me who he is going to push out of the team to get a start?

Because Boyd is a better option.

Luke MacDougall could have scored the tries Brett Morris did that night.

Also, do you remember the Four Nations last year? Yes B. Moz top scored but any other winger would have scored at least 3-4 more as he blew a number of opportunities in the exact same fashion as he did last night (and no that wasn't Hayne's fault).

Who is Watmough going to replace? Gallen or Lewis? In no way was he better than Thaiday or Myles.

The Rock said:
What has he done to lose his spot??? He didn't play bad in any origin game, he played great for Aus early in the year and is outstanding once again for his club team.

However, Boyd has been even BETTER at club level, and was outstanding in all 3 Origin games.

He's done enough to knock the incumbent out. IMO.

Hayne actually showed patches of what he is capable of last night. Only some desperate scrambling defence stopped him a couple of times. In broken play he was cutting us to ribbons... well on a few occasions anyway.

I don't have a problem with him being on one wing.

He was NSW best player last year playing on the wing.

Hayne on the wing > Morris on the wing

Scotty said:
Hayne actually showed patches of what he is capable of last night. Only some desperate scrambling defence stopped him a couple of times. In broken play he was cutting us to ribbons... well on a few occasions anyway.

I don't have a problem with him being on one wing.

+1. In fact, that's his best position by far.

Yeah last night he showed why he is a great fullback and why he is a hopeless one, made some great kick returns but also got caught flat footed on bombs and long kicks and took longer than he should have to retrieve. He also isn't good enough positionally alot of the time for short kicks or when the opposition makes a break through the line. He is a great footballer but I am not at all sold on him being a fullback.

The Brizz said:
Yeah last night he showed why he is a great fullback and why he is a hopeless one, made some great kick returns but also got caught flat footed on bombs and long kicks and took longer than he should have to retrieve. He also isn't good enough positionally alot of the time for short kicks or when the opposition makes a break through the line. He is a great footballer but I am not at all sold on him being a fullback.
Agree, it's a bit of a catch 22 with Hayne, in the sense that if he is "hidden" on the wing, he won't be able to put on his big plays, while on the other hand he can be a bit of a defensive liability or look disinterested of the game... [icon_shru

The Brizz said:

He's very good at reading the play when he has the ball. He can pick out a lazy defender very well and can run rings around them.

He isn't good at reading the numbers before he gets the ball (ie, to know where to direct attack); his passing game is not crisp; and positionally he's poor as you've highlighted.

To me he's not a footballer, he's just a gifted broken field runner.

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Organix
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  • thenry
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.