Australia's Tour of India spoilers

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Australia v India always throws up some controversy, let's hope it continues!!!! No doubt we'll see plenty of whinging from the Indians about something!!!

Australia just won the toss for the first game and batting.

If India had managed to win, man of the match would've been Shane Watson. Worst bowling Ikve ever seen in that 49th over.

Agreed. He is crap and always has been crap.

Good game though overall, very exciting finish and good to get the win!

It was a very good finish, though Australia will be disappointed they let India back into it. They had the game won at when Dhoni went at 6/186, with just under 13 overs to go and more than 100 runs needed.

There was some poor bowling to Harbhajan in particular. Far too much wide stuff, overpitched stuff, short stuff. It's times like that Australia really miss Glenn McGrath who used to bore opposition batsmen into submission by relentlessly landing it on a 5c piece just short of a length on off stump.

As I said, that 49th over from Watson was probably the worst display of bowling I've seen from a player trying to close out an innings. 2 wide low full tosses outside off stump with no third man...then a juicy long hop on leg stump...Harby just smashed the shit out of him. LOLZ.

Very surprised Ponting didn't give Lee the final spell from Watson's end. He only bowled 6 overs in the innings. Maybe being rested after the ICC Champions League? Who knows.

Watson's shown some talent with the bat, but quite frankly I think he should give the bowling away. However, with Hopes now injured that can't happen as Australia's short an all rounder now.

Oh, and kudos to Nathan Hauritz. Brilliant spell of off spin bowling against a team that usually picks off spinners to pieces. 9 overs, 1/34...excellent return. Really tightened the screws on them.

Watson has shitloads of potential with the ball. He would never have bowled in that big a moment of an ODI and the pressure just got to him, he has had some high quality spells in both Tests and ODI's it would be stupid to suggest he should give the bowling away due to one poor late effort.

I reckon more often that not when he is given the ball in the dying stages of a very close game, he just serves up those wide, low full tosses that Coxy was talking about. One game in New Zealand sticks out from memory too, we made over 300 and Watson and Shaun Tait doubled together to form the full toss express!! Of course we lost, this time we were lucky the result still went our way!

Then just don't give him the ball in the death of matches. Problem solved.

In 11 tests he has 14 wickets @ 39.07 and when you consider the role he has played in tests thus far that record is about par, he doesn't get the new ball or the ball when it swings back later and has provided some quality tight spells in those middle periods.

In 91 ODI's he has 90 wickets @ 29.86 which for a guy who averages 39 with the bat puts him in the absolute world class realm of ODI players, why the hell would you even entertain the prospect of not bowling this guy when the stats clearly show he has been doing a good job particularly in ODI's where he gets a chance with a newer ball.

He also has chronic problems with stress fractures and hamstring strains due to owling. Give it away and he might go more than 6 months without injury.

I had to double check that it was actually Watson bowling and not Mick Lewis.

Major JW Hochstetter said:
I had to double check that it was actually Watson bowling and not Mick Lewis.

Oooh EPIC burn icon_thumbs_u

I think even Mick Lewis would be upset with Watson's figures tonight. 5 overs, 0 for 47!!!

Watson's a great bowler though Jeb. No, really.

I think Lee was injured? I could be wrong though.

Clarke's on the sidelines as well, along with James Hopes and now Tim Paine.

Sunshine finally learns how to bowl at the death. Series 2-2

Where be the Watto haters now? This guy if he stays fit could become one of the great allrounders the game has seen in both forms of the game.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.