Australia's World Cup Team

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
I guess there is already a discussion about the Australian train-on squad. but as armchair experts, I'm sure we all think we could do better than the team that the selectors will inevitably pick. This is the team I would like to see going away to Eng-a-land

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Brent Tate
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith
10. Paul Gallen
11. Greg Bird
12. Luke Lewis
13. Corey Parker

14. Anthony Watmough
15. Josh Papalii
16. James Tamou
17. Nate Myles

Extras:
18. Daly Cherry-Evans
19. Robbie Farah
20. Brett Morris
21. Will Chambers
22. Andrew Fifita
23. Ryan Hoffman
24. Sam Thaiday/John Sutton/Wade Graham/Boyd Cordner/anyone but Glenn Stewart

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Michael Jennings
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Mat Scott
9. Cam Smith (c)
10. James Tamou
11. Greg Bird
12. Luke Lewis
13. Paul Gallen

14. Andrew Fifita
15. Nate Myles
16. Sam Thaiday
17. Corey Parker

18. Daly Cherry-Evans
19. Todd Carney
20. Robbie Farah
21. Brent Tate
22. Brett Morris
23. Josh Papalii
24. Anthony Watmough

1: Billy Slater
2: Brett Morris
3: Greg Inglis
4: Josh Morris
5: Jarryd Hayne
6: Daly Cherry Evans
7: Jonathen Thurston
8: Matt Scott
9: Cameron Smith (Captain)
10: James Tamou
11: Greg Bird
12: Ryan Hoffman
13: Paul Gallen

14: Andrew Fifita
15: Anthony Watmough
16: Luke Lewis
17: Trent Merrin

1: Billy Slater
2: Brett Morris
3: Greg Inglis
4: Josh Morris
5: Jarryd Hayne
6: Daly Cherry Evans
7: Jonathen Thurston
8: Matt Scott
9: Cameron Smith (Captain)
10: James Tamou
11: Greg Bird
12: Ryan Hoffman
13: Paul Gallen

14: Andrew Fifita
15: Anthony Watmough
16: Luke Lewis
17: Trent Merrin

Trent Merrin? Ryan Hoffman? No Corey Parker? Come on mate!

I'm assuming Pete is going with what the selectors would pick, so I can see all of that happening.
Though they'd probably do something stupid like moving Gallen to prop to fit Thaiday in the main side and move Bird to lock.

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Brent Tate
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Nate Myles
11. Greg Bird
12. Luke Lewis
13. Paul Gallen

Interchange:
14. Daly Cherry-Evans
15. Andrew Fifita
16. James Tamou
17. Corey Parker

The side would probably be stronger with GI at fullback and Jennings in the centres but Slater deserves to be there. I think Fifita, Tamou and Parker can cause a lot of problems off the bench against a tiring opposition. Myles is better suited to starting. DCE is there only to cover Cronk, Thurston and Smith because if one of them goes down mid game we are in a lot of trouble. Wanted to pick Watmough but Parker has been enormous this year.

I'm assuming Pete is going with what the selectors would pick, so I can see all of that happening.
Though they'd probably do something stupid like moving Gallen to prop to fit Thaiday in the main side and move Bird to lock.

IMO if anyone other than Parker or Gallen starts at lock, it will be an absolute travesty and ridiculous selection, almost proving that the selectors are biased and/or have no clue. Parker should be starting lock, he has been more influential and outplayed Gallen (and other locks for that matter) during the whole season. However, I fully expect Gallen to be lock or Gallen at prop and someone else (Bird or Watmough) at lock.

Not really, although most squads are going to look-alike. I suppose the selection that stands out is Thaiday - I believe he deserves to be there. He's always been very handy for the Kangaroos and can spend time in the middle if need be.

Selectors will throw DCE into the 14 because they 'gusta' and will reward a bunch of players who just so happen to be in the premiership team.

IMO if anyone other than Parker or Gallen starts at lock, it will be an absolute travesty and ridiculous selection, almost proving that the selectors are biased and/or have no clue. Parker should be starting lock, he has been more influential and outplayed Gallen (and other locks for that matter) during the whole season. However, I fully expect Gallen to be lock or Gallen at prop and someone else (Bird or Watmough) at lock.

there are no shortage of really talented locks this year, any of them would be worthy picks in my opinion. both Parker and Watmough have been excellent this year and you know both Gallen and Myles would play tremendously if picked there. I think Parker should be there just because Myles and Gallen can easily play in the front row and Watmough is perfect from the bench.

I just hope Sheens doesn't then go do something silly like picking Bird at lock rather than on the edge

Do you think Thaiday will be picked?

Apart from 1 Origin game this year - he's been solid at best and I think that is being generous. I don't think Thaiday should be picked on reputation anymore.
Not a fan of Jennings but he deserves his spot, esp since Hodges is out. The only Bronco should be Parker.

I know he probably doesn't want to but I'd like to see Jamie Lyon playing for Australia. imagine a centre pairing of Inglis and Lyon ... it would almost be unfair to the rest of the teams

1 Slater
2 Hayne
3 Inglis
4 Tate
5 Boyd
6 JT
7 Cronk
8 Scott
9 Smith
10 Myles
11 Bird
12 Lewis
13 Parker

14 Watmough
15 Merrin
16 Fifita
17 Gallen

IMO gallen has not played as well as parker this year and parker should start ! Having lewis in the side means he can play in halves in needed due to injury and 4 forwards can be picked for the bench.

1. slater
2. Hayne
3. Morris
4. Inglis
5. Boyd/tate/morris/tafua (any one of these will do a job for us)
6. Thurston
7. Cronk (only minute difference in form to dce but has established combinations and no need to rock the boat)
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Gallen (we are full of back rowers but only really have two specific props deserving selection)
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Parker

14. Myles
15. Fifita
16. Taylor or papali (on current form taylor but we'll se how he goes in the pm's 13)
17. ^ the other one or dce or hannant

if 17 is a prop myles doesn't play prop if a second rower he will play mostly prop if dce he can play half and half i guess.

both hoffman and tamou have been average to poor all year long so no way they deserves selection. I don't think watmough should be selected as he has clearly been carrying injuries for a while and it's hurting his performances. Merrin has never done well in a rep jersey. Teo has been very quiet this year (defense has improved but now offers nothing in attack). Obviously thaiday has only had a few good games this year so doesn't deserve selection although he will most likely get that last spot. We all know of gilletts flaws that mean he isn't ready for international rugby.

both hoffman and tamou have been average to poor all year long so no way they deserves selection.

I think Hoffman has actually been really good this year. admittedly I didn't see as much of Melbourne in the last 3 months but for the first half of the season I thought Hoffman was one of the best backrowers in the NRL. I wouldn't like to see Hoffman playing for Australia because he has always been a dud when he isn't playing for Melbourne but I think he has been a whole lot better than average/poor this year

I posted this somewhere else, it won't be picked but it's what I'd go with:

1. Slater (no problem with his form, he's been injured)
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Tate
5. Taufua
6. Thurston
7. DCE
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. Myles
11. Fifita
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Hayne
15. Watmough
16. Parker
17. Lewis

That's a pretty good team there Sproj, would be good for Taufua to get a run, thoroughly deserves it. Though I reckon the look of the team will change after the GF is finished.

I've got a feeling that it will be an all Queensland backline with Morris on one of the wings. Wouldn't mind seeing Tate taking centre ahead of Jennings/Hayne or J-Morris.

I'd say there is zero chance of Tate being picked in the main 13, even though he's still clearly better than Jorris and Jennings.

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • broncsgoat
  • marw
  • Browny
  • LGH
  • GCBRONCO
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.