Back to Business... How are we traveling????

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Now Origin is over it is time for our club to hit form and get the real prize...

Nice new thread to discuss how we are traveling and how we can improve coming into finals.

DISCUSS

As many have said, have some depth when in the opposition 20. Step 2 would be...just win ffs.

Get Hook to focus on Gillett and mentor or otherwise get some discipline and confidence into him. Get some set plays working in the opposition 20 with Gillett, and use Glenn and T'eo more on the edges.

Work on Thaiday's defence after his Origin performance, get him to offload more (which means support players following when he gets the ball) and yes, add some depth to the attack as well as the flat plays - with decent support runners, especially when Parker has the ball.

Get Hoffman to practise his ball playing, and better timing of his runs into the line. IMO, we really need a lot more 2nd man plays.

Make sure Norman doesn't go MIA, and get him to set up plays a bit more and run at the line a little less.

Return some favours to Wade Graham and Smith next time we play them.

Make sure Norman doesn't go MIA, and get him to set up plays a bit more and run at the line a little less.

lol ...

Plus, really hoping we meet them in the finals... that would be a game to save forever.

In the opp 20 Gillette always looked his best when running big stride in balls back against the ball flow.. even using it as a decoy would potentially open gaps because other teams must be aware of it. Would like to see him do that in the opp 20 and have some confidence back in his stride.

Run Home:
Warriors (H)
Titans (A)
Eels (H)
Raiders (A)
Bulldogs (A)
Storm (H)
Sea Eagles (A)
Panthers (H)

Only 4 gimme games there with the Warriors, Bulldogs, Storm & Sea Eagles posing our biggest challenges.

I think we're a chance against all of them but at this stage I believe anything less than a 5-3 run would be a disappointment.

I believe this is the part of the season we've been playing for. I've excused a lot of crap due to Origin & new combinations but heading into the finals there really aren't anymore excuses. We need to start playing towards our potential if we're going to be a real chance of taking out this premiership.

Same time last year we'd won 11 from 16 with 2 byes. This year we are 1 win short of that. So from that perspective we are pretty much where we want to be.

However, there seems to be less certainty about how we are traveling this time around and the obvious missing ingredient is Lockyer. This young team is showing some great things at this point in time, but it's time for Hoffman, Norman, Wallace, McCullough and Hunt to really stand up. They need to take control of our attack and create more certainty for themselves. McCullough's hopeless 5th tackle options could probably be put down to disorganization within the team. Hunt's passes from dummy half need to hit chest, not ankles. Norman needs to figure out his role. Hoffman needs to get deeper, as does the whole backline for that matter. Wallace needs to remember not to overplay his hand.

I'd also like to see some of our forwards improve as well. In particular Thaiday and Gillett. Very happy with how our front row is going.

Eels, Raiders and Panthers are the least of our problems. Warriors, Titans are the closes outside the 8 so no doubt they'll be desperate and then arguably the 3 best teams in a ROW! I sure hope Norman, Macca and Hoffman are ready.

Thank god we've got a bye this week. Gives us a chance to refresh our rep players and get everything together before the Warriors game.

IMO to win the Premiership we need McCullough to be our best player for the rest of the season. He needs to get our forwards on top and guide our side. Wallace and Norman will put points on if this happens IMO. Need no major injuries as well.

IMO to win the Premiership we need McCullough to be our best player for the rest of the season. He needs to get our forwards on top and guide our side. Wallace and Norman will put points on if this happens IMO. Need no major injuries as well.

Sums it up pretty well. Need our key players fit and on fire. Macca to lift his game (as he was prior to Origin) - and Hunt too for that matter, if he's going to keep coming on to replace him. Forwards to rumble forward, and the rest should take care of itself.

I've been critical of Norman, but there's no point changing it now and if the forwards and Macca are doing their job then Norman's job is a whole lot easier. Still need him to do more, but with a more settled line up that should happen (hopefully).

Norman has loads of upside IMO. Just need our attacking line to get some depth in it and Norman needs to pass the ball more. I think depth in our attacking line would help that immensely. We just need more players in motion when we are attacking the line.

Norman has loads of upside IMO. Just need our attacking line to get some depth in it and Norman needs to pass the ball more. I think depth in our attacking line would help that immensely. We just need more players in motion when we are attacking the line.

Yep, Corey needs to make running himself his shock play. At the moment defences can rush up on him knowing he's highly unlikely to pass it and instead either take the tackle or kick it straight into them.

That was one reason why Locky was so dangerous with the ball. Most times he'd pass (and pass damn well) so defenders had to be conscious of the numbers out wide. But then he could pick when the inside defence was lazy and either look to pass inside, or go himself.

At the moment Norman makes it too easy to defend his side of the field.

One thing I think McCollough really needs to work on is his dummy half running at the line, he does it so often its predictable and the opposition coaches know exactly what is on the cards, I don't mind the odd attempt but its gotten to the stage he just kills the attack and the opposition knows its coming.

I hope we use the forwards more efficiently too.

This is the pack I'd like to see for the rest of the season...

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Hunt
15. Civoniceiva
16. Gillett
17. Te'o

Mmm...'dat' impact.

Only starting forward who should be playing 80 is Parker. Rest should be on around 60 allowing Gillett Te'o & Bulla to receive enough game time.

I don't like Hunt on the bench but I've given up on my preference of having him play half in QCup with Baptiste off the bench. Hook just doesn't appear interested and it seems like it's too late for that to happen.

I'd be happier with Glenn playing the full 80 if we started using him more. He seems to have a hidden ball playing ability that I would love to see utilised more.

I'd like to see Thaiday cut down on his minutes, I think that will help his shoulder.

I don't see any value in moving Petero to the bench. He is a starter. McGuire can still play the big minutes off the bench.

His second stint against tired slower defence tends to always be better than his first.

McGuire deserves to be rewarded for his stellar form.

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • Dash
  • Harry Sack
  • kman
  • Broncorob
  • LittleDavey
  • Bucking Beads
  • KateBroncos1812
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fitzy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncosarethebest
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mr Fourex
  • Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • broncos4life
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.