Beer rip off at AFL games at the MCG

Playboy Bunny

Playboy Bunny

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
Scott showed me this earlier so I thought I would post this up. What do you guys think? Is 6ml's that much to cry over?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html
Beer served in undersize cups at the MCG
Article from: Sunday Herald Sun

Fiona Hudson

October 19, 2008 12:00am

EXCLUSIVE: THOUSANDS of beer-drinking footy fans were victims of an under-pour blunder at the MCG this year.

An investigation by the state's consumer watchdog has found catering giant Spotless sold beer at the ground for about a month in cups marked 425ml which held only 419ml.

Spotless signed a court-enforceable undertaking this month agreeing to donate $18,000 to charity to make up for the error, which they have blamed on a manufacturing glitch.

The caterer started using a problem batch of plastic cups at the MCG on June 21 for the Round 13 clash between Hawthorn and the Kangaroos.

Beers from the MCG's 42 public bars were served in the undersized cups for about eight matches until Spotless noticed the manufacturing error on the eve of Round 16. The caterer voluntarily notified Consumer Affairs Victoria of its concerns on July 18 and withdrew the cups.

By then, potentially tens of thousands of fans had received 1.5 per cent less beer than they paid for.

Investigators from the CAV's Trade Measurement unit tested a sample of 20 cups and found all were too small to contain the promised 425ml of amber fluid and held only 419ml on average.

The beer cups were specially manufactured for use at the MCG and were marked with the words Light, Mid, Heavy or Premium.

CAV, Spotless and the supplier of the cups were all unable to identify this week exactly how many patrons had suffered short pours.

But the potential financial loss to consumers was assessed by CAV at $17,989.

Spotless MCG catering manager Mark Owens yesterday said the problem cups had been mixed in with old stock, so not all customers at the eight affected matches would have suffered.

The problem cups were made of a new environmentally friendly plastic and supplied by Closed Loop Environmental Solutions.

Closed Loop, an off-shoot of recycling giant Visy, has supply contracts with the Australian Grand Prix, the Australian Open and Qantas, but says the MCG was the only client affected.

Spotless has undertaken to audit all of its processes to ensure cups used in future contain the correct quantity. CAV commended Spotless for taking immediate action and approaching the watchdog about the inadvertent breaches of the Fair Trading and Trade Measurements Acts.

"Spotless contacted CAV to ensure they complied with their legal requirements for the serving of beer at venues," a spokeswoman said.

"The cups were removed as soon possible and CAV was satisfied with their quick response.

"Spotless . . . is continuing to work closely with CAV to ensure compliance across all other venues."

Closed Loop account manager Mark Norman said the problem cups had been made in Taiwan and the manufacturer would no longer be used.

WHEN DRINKERS WERE RIPPED OFF

ROUND 13

Saturday June 21, Hawthorn v Kangaroos. Sunday June 22, Carlton v Essendon.

ROUND 14

Friday June 27, Hawthorn v West Coast. Saturday June 28, Richmond v Carlton. Sunday June 29, Melbourne v Brisbane Lions.

ROUND 15

Friday July 11, Carlton v St Kilda. Saturday July 12, Collingwood v Adelaide. Sunday July 13, Hawthorn v Sydney.

With the amount you pay for alcohol at sporting events I would like to think I am getting my moneys worth regardless of the amount I could be getting ripped off for. And $17,989... thats a shatload of piss right there.

surely they are too drunk to realise that the amount in the cup is smaller than what it says. Having said that it is false advertising and was dealt with in the correct way

Scotty said:
With the amount you pay for alcohol at sporting events I would like to think I am getting my moneys worth regardless of the amount I could be getting ripped off for. And $17,989... thats a shatload of piss right there.

Only about 50 schooners at Suncorp Stadium really [icon_wink

You spill atleast 30ml on the way back to the seat anyways!!!

Jebadude said:
Scotty said:

[icon_lol1. Good point jeb

I tell ya what I feel a bit ungrateful whinging about the cost of beer when the people who only drink spirits have to pay through the arse

ronnyd said:

Exactly. And most of it on other patrons.

ronnyd said:

Exactly. I dunno how many times I have worn beer down the back (totally disgusting) or seen people stumbling down the stairs trying to find their seat while losing half of the contents. Good entertainment though [icon_lol1.

Haven't you guys had a beer at Broncos games lately? They are made bigger these days so that the cups don't quite fill up and it avoids spillages. Still get the same amount of beer (425ml) but the cups are bigger than that. Obviously if someone takes a little trip they'll spill a bit but they're made a lot better than they used to be.

They should just consider it a tax for following a crap sport. _woohoo_

note: Actually AFL is quite decent to watch live, just crap on tv.

Scotty said:
Jebadude said:
Scotty said:

[icon_lol1. Good point jeb

I tell ya what I feel a bit ungrateful whinging about the cost of beer when the people who only drink spirits have to pay through the arse

Suncorp is a load of shit. I'd rather drink that shitty XXXX Gold crap than pay the money they ask for a rum and coke. Daylight robbery.

Active Now

• Organix
  • Aldo
  • Spoon
  • lynx000
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Foordy
  • Fatboy
  • Lurker
  • TimWhatley
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.