NEWS Ben Ikin appointed Head of Football

Solid appointment I think for all of the reasons listed above. I just hope he's not too bitter about missing out to DD and that he's not secretly planning to bring Green in.
Seems to be wearing his big boy pants. DD would have had to have gone to him with the offer.

Love it. Everything he has said about the Broncos while sounding bitter has been bang on. Not going to be a yes man either.

Man Big Dick Dave ain’t fucking around.

Ikin was able to keep Kent under control to an extent on NRL 360.

Now who's going to do that?

Hows the balls on donuts to appoint the man he beat out in a position lower than him at the club. At least Ikin actually has some experience with running clubs and actually would buy into building them club bigger and better with selecting the right plays to recruit and retain.

Well we can put a line through Bennett now. He'll be poaching our players for the SQ Crushers MKII.

Broncos bring in Ikin to help turn last-placed club's fortunes around​

Dan Walsh
NRL.com Reporter
Mon 21 Jun 2021, 04:38 PM

Former premiership-winning five-eighth Ben Ikin has been appointed Broncos' head of football as part of the sweeping changes at the club in the wake of their second successive struggling season.

He will replace recruitment chief Peter Nolan, who was told by Brisbane last week his services would no longer be required. Ikin played alongside current coach Kevin Walters in the halves when Brisbane won the 2000 grand final.

Ikin, who played two Tests for the Kangaroos and 17 Origins for Queensland, suited up 55 times for Brisbane during his 150-game NRL career from 1995-2004 which also included stints at the Gold Coast and North Sydney before knee injuries brought his playing days to a premature end.

He has been a host on Fox Sports NRL 360 for a decade and will leave that role to focus on the Broncos' job.

The Broncos are yet to officially announce his appointment but are expected to do so later on Monday.

Walters signalled after last Thursday's 46-0 trouncing at the hands of South Sydney that the club needed to make significant changes on and off the field to avoid a second straight wooden spoon.

High-profile forwards Tevita Pangai jnr and Matt Lodge have been told they are free to leave despite being under contract beyond this season.

Walters was defending his coaching style in the wake of a NewsCorp report which suggested players were upset with his methods, particularly his communication to them.

"It's a tough gig coaching in the NRL, particularly here at the Broncos. There's no revolt,” he said.

"Communication is one of my great assets as a person and as a rugby league coach. It's one of the key assets. It's a group of people - the players, performance staff, Dave [Donaghy] ... we need the whole club involved. From the 2015 grand final moving forward this club has been on the slide."

More to come

I like the appointment & I liked his chances for the CEO role, prior to DD becoming available.

Now, he's been shooting from the hip on 360, so lets see if he has the balls to walk the talk. He certainly hasn't missed the Broncos since not getting the CEO role.
I dare say this has been happening in the background for sometime, as he seemed to have a fair bit of praise for DD a month or so ago, which I thought was odd at the time.

Active Now

• Brotherdu
  • Strop
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • ell.d33
  • Painin the Haas
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • MrMoore
  • DMZ
  • Gray
  • Skathen
  • Jazza
  • Midean
  • Morkel
  • Volvo Driver
  • Dash
  • bert_lifts
  • ezpz
  • winslow_wong
... and 39 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.