Benjamin Cummings

Still, all in all, for Cummings standard, it was a pretty good game.

And that is the sad part of it all, it is all rubbish, just a nicer looking pile of rubbish.

Speaking of which, wan an 'example' made of the video ref in the Nene McDonald 'try'?

Re the Niko no-try.

It should have been reversed.

Ball had to hit the line.

Anyway it proves that the ref shouldn’t have to make a call.

If that goes up without a call it’s called a try every day of the week

Not touching the ball with your foot when playing it

Oh the refs have already given up on that one, there's 50 PTB's per game where the foot doesn't touch the ball now, they only policed it for the first month.

We got away with one of these too. Sims if memory serves me.
Sims ran back 5m and dropped to the ground. I think he more ran into his own player as well rather than behind the player.

Cook ran directly behind George who had taken a player out that was in the process of tackling Cook. Cook then proceeded to attack the line and even offloaded from memory.

The penalty is typically blown if the attacking team gain an advantage from the shepherd. Sims succumbing to the tackle is typically allowed as it is deemed no advantage.

Cook's was definitely advantage taken and should've been blown absolutely ridiculous that it wasn't.

It makes the NRL reek of an orchestrated WWE affair designed to inspire "thrilling finishes" and headline producing moments instead of actually conducting a fair and honest sporting competition. If the refs had actually reffed to the rules and not to the desire to take it to the wire, we would have won comfortably instead of clinging to a 4 point lead for the last 5 minutes and making us look worse than we actually were.

I said this earlier in the year and I stand by it: Ben Cummins is easily the worst referee in the NRL. He is gutless at the very best. I'd love for someone not as lazy as I to break down how many times he points to the spot instead of sending it upstairs and making it the Bunker's problem.

Oh the refs have already given up on that one, there's 50 PTB's per game where the foot doesn't touch the ball now, they only policed it for the first month.

That was never the crackdown. It was make an attempt, they only have to attempt it. It was to stop douchebags like JT barely getting up, or playing the ball in the act of falling over, or sideways etc.

I'm far more concerned about the penalties that weren't blown against the Rabbitohs, than the penalties blown against us.

Running behind your own players
Forward passes
Not touching the ball with your foot when playing it
Ref letting them get away with being offside

It's just weird how they can pick and choose when a penalty it necessary

The contemporary issue as highlighted by the smarter commentators is referees using their discretion and not so much the quantity of penalties but the quality of them. One team getting 5x penalties on the 1st and 2nd tackle is worth less than a team who makes it to their 40m line and gets a penalty on the 5th for something that could have been penalised 10,20,30 times in the game already, that’s what leaves the fan feeling shafted and calling it a stitch up.

Re the Niko no-try.

The new system is just like the old BOTD rule masked behind the support of technology, the onfield ref is just making a BOTD call on the field and handicapping the video ref.

The new system is just like the old BOTD rule masked behind the support of technology, the onfield ref is just making a BOTD call on the field and handicapping the video ref.
The issue that has been created from it is the vid ref not overruling the onfield call. Case in point was Nene's try, which got sent up as a try... video shows him losing control and it looks nothing like a try yet the vid ref does everything he can to prove the onfield ref correct and then scratches up a reason to blow it up.

There are times when the ref can't see what's happened yet he's got to make a call, which the vid ref then tries his hardest to confirm.

I can't see why the vid ref and the onfield ref can't have a chat about decisions when the footage is shown. At the moment the vid ref takes all onus of the decision once it's sent up and the onfield ref has no say whatsoever.

A simple chat between the vid ref and ref would clear so many decisions and make it so much better. Knik's try for example, the onfield may have called no try because he caught vision after the initial grounding when he was well and truly held up, he could explain that to the vid ref and let him know that he has no decision on the initial grounding or that he definitely grounded initially but he thought it was short of the goal line, etc.

Re the Niko no-try.

Don’t mind a soft signal that influences 50/50 or 60/40 calls or if vid refs don’t have a shot, prefer onfield ref getting 1 vote of 3 (1 vid ref, 1 vid ex player). But burden of proof is ridiculously high especially if they just don’t know or make a howler but can’t be proved beyond doubt.

The problem I have with the Niko no try ruling is that Cummins had no idea of whether he had got it down or not. I believe in those circumstances the benefit of the doubt should be given to the attacking side and it should be sent up as a try. That way, it can only be overturned if there is conclusive evidence.

Does anyone know why they got rid of the BOTD system?

The issue that has been created from it is the vid ref not overruling the onfield call. Case in point was Nene's try, which got sent up as a try... video shows him losing control and it looks nothing like a try yet the vid ref does everything he can to prove the onfield ref correct and then scratches up a reason to blow it up.

There are times when the ref can't see what's happened yet he's got to make a call, which the vid ref then tries his hardest to confirm.

I can't see why the vid ref and the onfield ref can't have a chat about decisions when the footage is shown. At the moment the vid ref takes all onus of the decision once it's sent up and the onfield ref has no say whatsoever.

A simple chat between the vid ref and ref would clear so many decisions and make it so much better. Knik's try for example, the onfield may have called no try because he caught vision after the initial grounding when he was well and truly held up, he could explain that to the vid ref and let him know that he has no decision on the initial grounding or that he definitely grounded initially but he thought it was short of the goal line, etc.

Just described the rugby union system, the onfield ref can even ask for specific footage to help him make a call.

Does anyone know why they got rid of the BOTD system?

Overwhelming media pressure due to the ref just making a pure guess. It’s why I say the current system is just the onfield ref using the old BOTD rule with the superficial backing of the bunker.

Just described the rugby union system, the onfield ref can even ask for specific footage to help him make a call.
The less video ref the better. The reduction of interchange has been completely destroyed and is now useless due to the long breaks with the video ref and the manipulation of the hia.

Also, is anyone surprised that the storms sudden form increase (that has been conviently purely attributed to a halfback that had no go forward from his pack) has coincided with the drop in the penalty crack down?

I thought it might've been. There's calls in the media to have more people in the bunker but you've got two between the ref and vid ref that can discuss the situation. the video ref should be there to assist the onfield ref not take all responsibility on the try's

I mean how many poor video ref decisions are pulled up in union and dragged through the media. The scrutiny probably isn't as high but if the wallabies, all blacks, etc. were hard done by then it would still be all over Fox News, but I can't recall any off the top of my head.

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Johnny92
  • Santa
  • Footy Fanatic
  • davidp
  • dasherhalo
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Broncosgirl
  • bert_lifts
  • Broncones
  • Culhwch
  • phoenix
  • Robboi_321
  • Skyblues87
  • Old Mate
  • Tim K
  • johnny plath
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.