Bennett bags the Broncos CEO and Langer

Burg

Burg

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 52,00.html

Well I guess nobody knows Langer like Bennett, but still nobody needs to know his private thoughts and I think it quite un-Bennett like to be talking about a club legend, true or not. I agree, he does need to leave quietly and without fuss so not to over shadow Henjak and the new coaching team at the Broncos. While I'm more then nervous over how our team will play next year I want to give them time to adjust. Bennett for all of his good points (and he has many, and I was/am a staunch supporter) his reign is over now and another has begun.

Very interesting, I really don't know what to say, cause i like langer alot and same with bennet.
but fack cullen.

Hmm a bit of a beat up I reckon. Everyone knows the Cullen/Bennett relationship was strained at best, but the only thing about Langer was "insinuated". That word sets off my bullshit alarms when it comes to sports journalism.

I've heard a few people tell me that Bennett has a new book coming out in which he really does just dump on everyone he can at the Broncos who he feels deserve it. Don't think it's necessary but he is obviously pretty upset (to put it lightly) about a lot of things that have happened at the club and his treatment by several people (notably Cullen) over the past few years, I can kind of understand him wanting to get it out there - he has often been portrayed as the bad guy in situations and has always just copped it on the chin for the good of the club - I guess he wants people to now know the truth from his perspective.

Interesting that Bruno makes reference to the fact that of the field he has "a very serious job to do as a publicly listed company"; which is true - so why hasn't he concentrated on that which is his job and let Bennett and his coaching staff do their job on the footy field over the past few years? That's where a lot of the bad blood stemmed from - Bennett feeling like Cullen was interfering too much in the footy side of things.

Really not called for IMO but we all know that Cullen is a wank and has to go.. IMO Bennett needs to stop and think about what he is doing to his former club rather than to the CEO.

Poor form by WB IMO, he gains very little by slanging off at Cullen and certainly gains nothing from offering critisim of a legend of the game. If this is going to be the trend for his post Broncos career he will leave a very sour taste in the mouths of other wise loyal fans. WB could have a lot said about him by those in and around the club upon his leaving, but that hasn't happened, so perhaps he should steady up and think a little about what he says. The Sydney Media will eat him alive if he turns into a sour puss after the Saints go poorly next season and he starts his normal grumpy crap. He needs to look forwards and not back, because while his best years as a coach are long behind him, his future is all he has left.

Words taken out of context as usual, though there is probably some reading between the lines there.
I agree about hoping this does not become a continuing trend though, constant little snipes will irritate the most loyal of WB fans.

Well there are a few ex players & probably a few current ones as well from the Broncos that have lost a lot of respect for Bennett

Bennett takes the high moral ground about people being truthful, yet lied about the Roosters job.

Bennett has lowered himself, by commenting.

Flutterby said:
I've heard a few people tell me that Bennett has a new book coming out in which he really does just dump on everyone he can at the Broncos who he feels deserve it. Don't think it's necessary but he is obviously pretty upset (to put it lightly) about a lot of things that have happened at the club and his treatment by several people (notably Cullen) over the past few years.

Maybe things changed when WB lied to their faces & said he hadn't agreed to coach the Chooks.

i cant wait to see the end of the cullen era.

he's a great ceo who has an excellent rapport with staff, who show their love for him with their performances. Just ask him.

If u can't tell Wayne bagged the Broncos CEO and Alfie which in my mind was a very stupid thing to do

LOL I didn't read properly, sorry, I thought you asked what Wayne did

Broncos greats defend Alfie

Wayne Bennett's claim that Allan Langer was not a good leader has been ridiculed as rubbish by Brisbane greats who united in their support of the Broncos' most successful captain.

Bennett's record-breaking 21-year tenure at the Broncos is finishing with a sad and bitter end after the Dragons-bound coach took a public swipe at Langer and Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen at a corporate speaking engagement on Friday.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html

A lot of what Wayne has said seems to be more of an observation than a criticism.

Saying someone likes to be popular and have people around them isn't a criticism at all. The thing about not being a good leader, based on the other comments, suggests that maybe Wayne thinks Alfie is not a single-minded / autocratic type ( Wayne style); he might be more consensus based.

This contrasts significantly with Wayne's style; he likes to make enemies and create an 'us and them' mentality.
Wayne is not Alfie and vice versa.
Wayne is gone and Alfie isn't.

Regarding Cullen, I think we need to balance the ledger. Remember, in the past two seasons Wayne has been involved in several incidents that reflect poorly on the CEO. By the way, the CEO didn't have much to do with it.

Just a brief reminder...
Wayne's mooted signing with the Roosters and the back door payments he ( Wayne) received.
Sneaky in a joint that apparently doesn't tolerate it.

Any fair minded CEO wouldn't be happy with having to deal with that.
I can understand that Bruno wouldn't be too happy with his coach either.

Anyway, Wayne has decided to go and Bruno hasn't.

It's pretty poor form on Wayne's part to have a dig at Alfie and Bruno. No doubt when his book comes out there'll be alot more people coping it! I've heard several insiders at the club say Bennett has always had his own way and obviously the stuff with the Roosters changed the relationship, maybe they weren't giving him the same run of the place as in the past. Very sour grapes to me , especially having a go at Langer even if it was blown up by the media. Reckon Ivan will be the best thing for the club going forward he doesn't seem to take any crap from the players and Dean Benton coming back will be huge as well cause alot of those blokes will be just names on paper to him. Perhaps reality has just set in for Wayne , he's leaving for a club that are a long way off a premiership and nobody in sydney will give too hoots about him. So lets have a jibe at the Broncos and keep in the spotlight for a little longer. Good luck to the man , he's a champion , but I hope he keeps his opinons to himself from now on , bagging the biggest champion of the club is not on!! Big wrap to Alfie too he'd be shattered by the comments but hasn't bought into it .

kymbo said:
I've heard several insiders at the club say Bennett has always had his own way and obviously the stuff with the Roosters changed the relationship, maybe they weren't giving him the same run of the place as in the past.

I don't think he has ever had the run of the whole place, but certainly of the footy team. He has always insisted that he will run the footy team and the CEO will run the business and neither will stick their nose in the other one's domain. It's no secret that Bruno started trying to involve himself in the running of the footy team and that certainly ticked Bennett off to the point where the relationship between the 2 became untenable. The contention though is whether Bruno started "interfering" (in Bennett's eyes) before "Roostergate" (which many believe is one of the reasons Bennett even spoke to the Roosters) or after it (because he felt he couldn't trust Bennett anymore).

kymbo said:
Perhaps reality has just set in for Wayne , he's leaving for a club that are a long way off a premiership and nobody in sydney will give too hoots about him. So lets have a jibe at the Broncos and keep in the spotlight for a little longer.

Are you kidding? St George are one of the great traditional clubs of our game and they have under-performed for a long time now given the playing rosters they have had; people really want to see if Wayne is the super coach many believe him to be and able to turn the Dragon's fortunes around. Not to mention those that really want to see him fail. He's going to get a lot of media attention at the Dragons - attention that he really won't want IMO

Active Now

• Allo
  • Tmac
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Brocko
  • Johnny92
  • Stix
  • FACTHUNT
  • levikaden
  • Foordy
  • Accept
  • cento
  • bert_lifts
  • Santa
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.