Bennett bags the Broncos CEO and Langer

dragons next yr will be the same old dragons, make the 8 flop out same thing brisbane have done in recent yrs. so in reality bennet isnt facing any new challangers. he has to take a team who makes the 8 and flops and get them to the bigne.. same story different colours.

Three words: Massive Beat Up.

Totally agree with Bennett's observation that people who like to be liked will struggle with leadership. End of story.

The Cullen-bagging was to be expected? But Alf??? Coming from a bloke who knows Wayne personally i was very surprised at what he said about Alf. In some respects I get the feeling that back in those days Langer wasn't a sole leader of the Broncos side when he had Lazurus and the Walters boys with him to lead as well.

Dunno, bit odd if you ask me.

congrats to alfie for not coming out and counter attacking wayne or even going to any lengths to defend himself. gotta love alf!

pennywisealfie said:
congrats to alfie for not coming out and counter attacking wayne or even going to any lengths to defend himself. gotta love alf!

Alfie was probably too pissed to notice penny [icon_wink I have heard Alf loves a drink [icon_lol1.

And a punt. And to be liked and be the joker. I think Wayne probably had a point to be honest. Doesn't mean he's not a leader, but it means Alf probably will find it hard to make the tough decisions when he has to, because of his love of being loved.

dazzatsurf said:
Three words: Massive Beat Up.

Totally agree with Bennett's observation that people who like to be liked will struggle with leadership. End of story.

+1, a coach needs to be prepared to be unpopular.

dukey said:
+1, a coach needs to be prepared to be unpopular.

Well he seems to be unpopular with most ex players.

Tallis was bewildered and frustrated at Bennett's comments about Langer.

"What's Alf done to him? Why does he have such sour grapes toward Alf," Tallis told The Daily Telegraph."To get up Alf is just ridiculous. I know Wayne doesn't like me but it seems he doesn't like anybody. It's certainly surprised me.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 66,00.html

I know they were friends when Tallis was at the Broncos, but things seem to change. (unless I just thought they were friends)

Was it because of Roostergate.

Flutterby said:
kymbo said:
Perhaps reality has just set in for Wayne , he's leaving for a club that are a long way off a premiership and nobody in sydney will give too hoots about him. So lets have a jibe at the Broncos and keep in the spotlight for a little longer.

Are you kidding? St George are one of the great traditional clubs of our game and they have under-performed for a long time now given the playing rosters they have had; people really want to see if Wayne is the super coach many believe him to be and able to turn the Dragon's fortunes around. Not to mention those that really want to see him fail. He's going to get a lot of media attention at the Dragons - attention that he really won't want IMO

Well said Flutterby, the Dragons are actually the most popular team in the NRL! He's gonna be under the spotlight even more than up here, believe it or not.

Yep. And if he fails...ZOMg, prepare for criticism Wayne.

I also don't get where people are saying he bagged Langer - he said Langer liked to be popular and surrounded by people - both of which are true. He never said that Langer was a bad leader - the article says "he insinuated", meaning this particular journalist is interpreting it that way.

And as others have said, Langer probably wasn't the greatest leader - very few truly great leaders are popular, at the very least they polarise people's opinions of them. But he was lucky in that he was the public face the Broncos needed and he had a strong leadership group to work with.

He was merely dropping a big name to get a point across, which is what he is paid to do at these functions. If he didn't think Langer was a good leader he woundn't have made him broncos, queensland and australian captain!

A few other things said by Bennett in his speech:

“The Broncos have been blessed with great captains.

“It was more the stability and their presence that they did for their teammates than anything else.

“All the captains we've had here, they all had such a presence with their teammates.

“I know I'm not going to sleep anywhere near as well in my future job as I did here because every time I knew it was one of them, either Gene (Miles) or Wally (Lewis) or Alf (Langer), Kevvie (Kevin Walters), Gordie (Tallis) or Locky (Darren Lockyer) was playing I knew we were a great chance of winning the game because they made those around them play to their ability.â€Â
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html

It's obvious he still has great respect for Alf, even as a captain.

"Insinuated" - :roll:

Media - :roll:

i read little alfie was a little upset about waynes comments

The media is much maligned mr slong but sometimes they do deserve the benefit of the doubt.
Surprisingly it is how we learn that there is a world outside of our street.
Unless we talk to people.
I think Fredie was being friendly.
Off to the room of mirrors.

Active Now

• davidp
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Lostboy
  • dasherhalo
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • Midean
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Dash
  • Old Mate
  • Broncorob
  • lynx000
  • RolledOates
  • Mr Fourex
  • Harry Sack
  • phoenix
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.