Bennett gives Thaiday the tap on the shoulder

Hodges was the toughest call Bennett made, then Parker was even tougher and now Thaiday is next level tough. Bennett doing his best to give broncos the inspiration for a premiership but he's fast running out of fairy tale finishes so hope this is the year!

Thaiday doesn't have another year in him. He is cooked. Perhaps Bennett is saying this now in the hope Thaiday will retire this year.

No arguments from me - a legend but the right call.

For those wondering why Bennett would bother announcing this so far out from the end of his contact, I'd say he had the following motivations.

1. Ideally he probably wants to get Sam off the cap asap. He's just let every club in the comp know Sam is available.
2. Bennett speaking to the media now means it's not some slimy manager/journo taking the "Bennett pushes Sam out/internal Broncos unrest bullshit".
3. It's motivation to the squad to do it for Sam, and puts everyone on notice, especially in the forwards. Aim up because no one is indispensable if your performances drop.

My feeling is this will likely be Sam's l last season at the Broncos and that this is just the first step of the story.

(I'm back from my hiatus)

I think he should have his farewell in 2018 at Newcastle. Go down there and instill a few good traits while keeping things fun. I think we have his contribution covered in 2018 with the Englishman ( providing he is as good as WB thinks )

I must of misread....I thought this year would be his last, which I think is the right call.

Shame to finish languishing in QCup next year if his form deterioration continues like it has presently.

Motivation seems to have gone and his ability shouldn't be affected by that. If he wants to play well I'm sure he'll be able to. Parker played well the year before his retirement, it can be done.

Feel a bit for Sam, but everything has to come to an end. One of the great Broncos imo. I'm hoping he calls it a day this season and doesnt go on too long.

We've all been saying that Sam is done, even though we love him for what he has done, his time has come

WB not only agrees, but he has done something about it

In Wayne we trust :)

Karl Stefanovic says it's disgusting the way Sam's being treated......Tim Gilbert throwing the boot into WB as well.
http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/07/17/...s-brisbane-disgusting-for-dumping-sam-thaiday

Gilbert is a joke of a sports commentator who knows nothing.

Karl....pffft. He should stick to sharing girly jokes with Lisa Wilkinson. It's about the only thing in which his opinion might matter

Getting told a year and a half out that you won't be getting a new contract is disgusting? He is getting treated very well, he now has that long to negotiate and sign a contract elsewhere, if that's what he wants to do. Maybe Karl should give him his job if he finds it so disgusting.

Thaiday hits back at contract talk

Brisbane second-row forward Sam Thaiday has fired back at reports he will be axed from the club at the end of 2018, telling media on Monday that he was never planning on continuing his playing career at the Broncos after his current contract expires.

Reports emerged this week that Broncos coach Wayne Bennett would not be renewing Thaiday's contract at the end of next year, but Thaiday insisted his current contract was always going to be his last after re-signing with the club in 2015.

Thaiday will be 33 years old at the end of the 2018 NRL season and it will mark 16 years in the top grade and possibly over 300 NRL matches.

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and Thaiday recognised it might be time to move on from the game when his contract expires.

"It's a bit of a funny one. It's been talked about that I'm not going to be offered a contract. I haven't even asked for one," Thaiday said.

"I don't know why it's even a story in the first place. I might just get the paper and use it to start a fire because it's getting a bit cold out in Samford.

"I've got things in place going forward, I know what I'm doing. It's no surprise to me at all. But I'm sure it's a surprise to a lot of fans out there.

"I've had a fantastic run and it just means I've got this year and next year to work really hard and hopefully we can do something as a team here at the Broncos."

Interestingly, the 33-year-old said he is unsure if he will definitely retire at the end of 2018, saying it is a decision he will take plenty of time to make.

"It's hard asking a footballer that question [about retiring] because at the end of the day, none of us want to stop playing the game that we love," he said.

"It's a very, very tough decision that has to be made. But it's not a decision I'm making now or making lightly, either.

"My full focus and full attention is with the Broncos this year and putting ourselves in a fantastic position where we can do something coming to the end of the year."

It may be hard for Broncos fans to imagine Thaiday in another team's jersey, but like Petero Civoniceva before him, it remains an option.

Civoniceva played his last year for the club in 2007, moved on by Bennett to the Penrith Panthers after 215 games for Brisbane.

Civoniceva was turning 32 when told his services would no longer be required, but instead of retiring he proved he had more to give, playing 74 games for Penrith before returning to the Broncos in 2012.

Thaiday is yet to decide whether he will follow in Civoniceva's footsteps and said his family would have a huge influence on this decision.

"I don't know. There's 15 other clubs out there as well. Who knows what will happen," he said.

"I have to sit back and assess and see how the body's feeling. It's more of a discussion now that I'll have with my family and we'll make a decision going forward.

"I've got two young girls now that I have to look after and provide for the rest of my life.

"Whether the body can deal with a bit more banging around is something that I'll assess come this time next year."

http://www.nrl.com/thaiday-hits-back-at-contract-talk/tabid/10874/newsid/110055/default.aspx

The only plausible point of all this is that Wayne is trying to force him out of the club at the end of this year. I can't see any other point.

Active Now

• porouian
  • MrMoore
  • Broncorob
  • johnny plath
  • Manofoneway
  • Cavalo
  • mitch222
  • RolledOates
  • Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • john1420
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.