Bennett halts Ofahengaues debut til 2016

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
At least if things go the way they're currently going...

Coach Wayne Bennett has already suggested to Ofahengaue that he may have to wait until 2016 before he gets that first NRL call-up but like his ancestors before him, Joe is determined to keep working until he makes a name for himself.

"It's a slow process with Wayne, everyone knows that. He said to me 2016 he'd slowly bring me into the NRL but I guess it's just whether I can prove him wrong or not," Ofahengaue said.

https://www.nrl.com/ofahengaue-honours-family-name/tabid/10874/newsid/83357/default.aspx

Good move by Wayne. Joe could have a long career ahead of him, but he's raw and could do with more seasoning in the ISC and NYC systems.

It begs the question, will any of the NYC players make the step up in 2015?

Last edited:
Re: Ofahengaue's Debut Delayed Until 2016

Good move. We already have four props, offa will have to prove he is ready to dethrone one of them through isc form.

While it's always nice to see a new face in the side (sometimes just to give a new point of interest), Offa does need some men opposition. Of course it could be a bit of the ol' 'Bennett test' of motivating players to prove him 'wrong'. But even during Origin I think we'll be fine for prop depth with Dodds, Wallace and probably Molo ahead of him.

My first thought was a Bennett motivational. How he responds will show Bennett what he's made of. Will he look to go elsewhere, bludge for the year, or rip in?

So glad. When I read the thread title, I thought he'd done an ACL.

Same.

Lol same here, for sure thought he had done a bad injury.

Changed the title to something more appropriate.

I'm also glad to hear this.

The young fella has been talked up a lot around the place, but i still think he's a little raw for NRL this year.

Hopefully he digs deep and works hard this year to prove he's worthy for next season.

Wayne Bennett has told Joe Ofahengaue, one of Brisbane’s best emerging talents, he won’t play NRL in 2015

WHEN Wayne Bennett told Brisbane’s best emerging talent Joe Ofahengaue he probably wouldn’t play NRL this year, the teen’s response showed why he could prove the super coach wrong.
Bennett is known for prodding the best out of players by telling them what they need but perhaps do not want to hear.

Some would call it mind games, Bennett would probably call it coaching.

029753-6cfb73a2-ade3-11e4-8de0-9ed87417a9dc.jpg

Brisbane Bronco young guns Joe Ofahengaue and Joseph Forrester. Pic Jono Searle

His blunt message to Ofahengaue this pre-season could be the making of the 19-year-old nephew of ex-Wallabies cult hero Willie.

Bennett’s advice has not deterred the off-contract Ipswich standout as he told The Courier-Mail he will commit to Brisbane regardless of rival offers.

Ofahengaue is a 113 kilogram prop who is one of the fittest players at the club. He was expected to crack the NRL this season and even push for a starting spot.

Then Bennett told him not to get his hopes up high because he believed 2016 would be his debut year.

“I took it personally. I took it like I want to prove him wrong and that I am ready to play this year,” Ofahengaue said.

“It was a challenge to me.

“I have all my trust in Wayne. I know where he wants me to go.

“I have to trust him and wait patiently until the time is right.

“He’s not about rushing me into it.

“It is ultimately up to him. He will write down the 17 that go on the field and if I am not in it then I am not in it.

“But this is my second year at it (being in the NRL squad) so I want this to be it (debut year).

“I had a go at it last year in full time pre-season but didn’t make it.”

Ofahengaue hoped to crack the NRL last year under Anthony Griffin but instead led the club’s under-20’s team to the grand final.

Ofahengaue ran for the most metres in that competition.

He is not the aggressive tackle shredding behemoth his uncle was.

He plays more like Corey Parker than Fuifui Moimoi.

His work rate and maturity is why rival NRL clubs are already lining up to snare him from Red Hill.

They should stop bothering.

“I don’t know what I am doing for the next couple years but it is not really on my mind,”
he said.

“I want to stay here. This is the place for me.

“I didn’t think Sydney was my lifestyle. It is too fast for me.”

Ofahengaue played in the same St Peter Claver high school side as two of his Broncos team mates, Anthony Milford and Brett Greinke.

“It is pretty buzzing ey. To be training in top grade with two of my good mates that I have known since school is real trippy and we just can’t wait to see where it takes us,” he said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...play-nrl-in-2015/story-fniabm4i-1227211030139

Benny throwing down the challenge afaic.

I'm not really sure if this is Bennett throwing down the challenge so much as telling it like it is.

I remember when Thaiday came onto the scene and WB would give him 10 minute stints each game, and sometimes just plain drop him. People on here would advocate for Thaiday to get more game time because he looked good only to see the 10 minute stint repeat. There was no doubt in my mind that Thaiday deserved more game time when he came into the side, and there's no doubt in my mind that WB wasn't going to give it to him until the following season, regardless of performance.

I tend to think Offa is headed for a similar trajectory. Even at the Knights last year, there two best young forwards (Korbin Sims & Joseph Tapine) barely got any minutes. So I don't think this is a challenge so much as the way it is. But happy to be proven wrong.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncorob
  • ivanhungryjak
  • blacknwhite
  • Brocko
  • sooticus
  • NSW stables
  • Financeguy
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • RodF
  • jd87
  • Browny
  • bb_gun
  • Jazza
  • Battler
  • Johnny92
  • Big Del
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.