Bennett: We've only just begun

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
WAYNE Bennett says the Broncos have moved on from their heartbreaking grand final loss but have rediscovered the values which originally made them an NRL powerhouse.

It has been a week since Brisbane’s perfect grand final record was dramatically broken in the golden-point thriller against North Queensland. The Broncos were one tackle away from claiming a seventh premiership.

It was a bitter end to a fantastic season, which saw Bennett pilot the Broncos all the way to the finale in his first year back at the club. But the master coach said the Broncos were ready to bounce back in 2016 despite the “pain and grief” they felt at ANZ Stadium.

“I loved the way we handled it. The boys have been great about it and got on with their lives,” he said at the club’s awards presentation on Friday night.

“It was a difficult night for all of us and a difficult few days since. You don’t put so much into something and not feel the pain and grief that goes with the last couple of minutes of the game.

“We’ve moved on ... the new season will start and I want us to be a football club you can be proud of and want to be a part of.”

The Broncos surpassed the expectations of many this season. With Bennett returning after six years at St George-Illawarra and Newcastle, a top eight finish was expected but not a grand final.

Anthony Milford proved he belongs in the No. 6 jersey while Ben Hunt’s development at halfback continued.

Bennett’s recruitment of prop Adam Blair gave the Broncos a hard edge they had lacked in the engine room, and Darius Boyd’s return at fullback has provided stability. And at 33, Corey Parker was crowned player of the year despite being in the twilight of his career.

Bennett said the Broncos were as determined to win as any side he has coached.

“I’ve coached a lot of wonderful teams and we’ve had some great teams at this club,” he said.

“Is this the best team I’ve ever coached here? I can’t answer that question. What I do know is I just love coaching them.

“They were committed and doing their best. They’re great mates. I can trust them. They were consistent. They cared enormously about each other.”

There was a touch of nostalgia as Bennett described how the Broncos had returned to the values that have made them one of the code’s most successful clubs since their foundation in 1988.

“It’s pretty hard for me to talk about the Broncos without talking about the past,” Bennett said.

“What we’ve got today was what we created a long time ago. What we try to live every day is what the founding directors wanted.

“No one would have been more proud of our season than (late co-founder) Paul Morgan.

“When I took the job (in 1988) I asked him what he wanted of me. He said ‘Wayne, I want you to get them to their best every week’.

“He wanted the fans, whether we win, lose or draw, to go home proud of the Broncos and way they’ve handled themselves.

“He couldn’t have been any prouder of the 2015 Broncos because they epitomised what his dream was ... whether we won or lost, we knew these guys played for each other and in the Broncos spirit which we’ve all become accustomed to and expect.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...ys-wayne-bennett/story-e6frf3pc-1227564679391

Last edited:

Active Now

• barker
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fitzy
  • Fozz
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  • Evander
  • levikaden
  • bazza
  • Tmac
  • Alec
  • GCBRONCO
  • thenry
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.