Best spine

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Was just looking at this article on foxsports http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...-the-2012-season/story-fn2mcuj6-1226246260070

Who do you reckon has the best 1, 6, 7, 9 in the comp? Looking at that there's definitely the haves and the have nots.

For me the obvious stand outs are:
Melbourne, Manly, North Queensland, Warriors

Broncos a little behind those guys imo.

Then you have the likes of:
Parra, Cronulla, Rabbitohs, Penrith - oh dear!

The Storm and Manly have the standout spines IMO.

This is how I rate them:

1- Storm
2- Manly
3- Warriors
4- Cowboys
5- Broncos (very dependent on Macca maintaining form, and how Locky's successor handles the position)
6- Knights
7- Dragons
8- Tigers
9- Titans
10- Bulldogs
11- Eels
12- Raiders
13- Panthers
14- Roosters
15- Sharks
16- 50uff$

The only thing that has me with Storm/Cowboys ahead of Manly/Warriors is how the 2 halves will go in their 2nd season.

With Mullen, Gildey and Boyd the knights easily have a top three spine. If Budsy still has it they go even better. With Wallace average, Norman unproven and Macca with only 10 or so strong games under his belt I think we have at best a middle of the pack spine.

I think Wallace is extremely capable organisationally, which is what we need most if our youngsters play to their talent and ability.
Besides, we can't complain of depth either with Hunt, Beale, Gagai, Kahu and Baptiste all vying for a spot in the spine...

Our spine is down near the bottom IMO. It could be much better than that but we really don't know how it will go. Our strength is definitely our pack and outside backs.

I have the Knights ahead of the Broncos, but slightly behind the top 4 front runners, Mullen returning from serious injury and Bedsy coming back after a couple of years out of the comp (look at Berro). Of course Wayne Bennett is the coach, so they're definitely in the top 8 material.

I would have Broncos on par with the Chooks - Anasta, Pearce, Friend & Mini. Solid, but not spectacular. The thing that gives us the edge is our pack.

Our spine is near the top IMO. It could be much worse than that, but we really don't know how it will go. :finger:

I don't know about the Knights. Individually, none of them are at the top really, and only Boyd is close, but colectively they form a fairly strong spine. Question is how will Buderus go after England... Matt Orful anyone?

Like most teams, it all depends on many variables... Only the Storm has a quality established spine, even Manly could turn to sh!t if their young halves suffer from the club's instability.

Agree with Porthoz.

If it wasn't for the Bennett factor I wouldn't consider the Knights spine all that highly.

Boyd is just about the only player I consider world class and he's 'just' good IMO. Not a great like Billy Slater.

Mullen is the most inconsistent player in the game and has never done anything of note in the big games.

Kidley is OK but was never a really good halfback.

Buderus was past it 4 years ago. He'll do the job, but I expect him to be like Priddis in 2010.

Of course though, they have options. Stigg seemed like a one trick pony but that Tyrone Roberts looked promising to me. Probably a little too young but if he manages to step up and allows Kidley to shift to hooker, the Knights could be in the money.

FWIW my current rankings.

1. Melbourne Storm
2. Manly Sea Eagles
3. Warriors
4. West Tigers
5. North Queensland Cowboys
6. St. George Illawarra Dragons
7. Brisbane Broncos
8. Newcastle Knights
9. Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
10. Canberra Raiders
11. Parramatta Eels
12. Gold Coast Titans
13. Sydney Roosters
14. Cronulla Sharks
15. Penrith Panthers
16. South Sydney Rabbitohs

I think tiers would probably be more appropriate as some of those placings required splitting hairs.

Plus, I expect these to change come the end of the season.

I wouldn't have the Tigers that high. Marshall on his day is good but so inconsistent. Farah the same, usually outplayed if he's the least classy of the 2 hookers on the field. Who'll be playing 1 and 7 for them this year?

I don't rate either too highly myself but it probably says more about the rest of the competition then it does about the Tigers.

Fullback is still undecided but Moltzen is said to be the halfback. Personally, I think that's his best position and he and Marshall had a deadly combo there.

Honestly, other than Manly and Warriors, all teams have an "average" component to their spine.

Storm: Widdop
Tigers: Moltzen and fullback
Dragons: Hornby and who's their fullback?
Broncos: Wallace (solid) Macca (can be great or horrible) Norman/Hunt (unknown)
Titans: no 5/8 or fullback of note, Srama still young
Eels: hooker?
Bulldogs: Hodkinson? Pfft
Canberra: other than that trailer trash rats tail fullback, who have they got?
Cowboys: Payne is past his best IMO, Lui very average
Knights: Mullen meh, Buderus ancient, Kidley can be great but can be horrible
Roosters: did they sack Carney? Lol. They have Pearce and....

Seriously manly with cherry, Foran, Stewart and ballin is the standout, notwithstanding I thought Foran was pedestrian last season.

Warriors with Johnson, Mahoney, Locke and Friend is premiership class.

Honestly, other than Manly and Warriors, all teams have an "average" component to their spine.

Storm: Widdop
Tigers: Moltzen and fullback
Dragons: Hornby and who's their fullback?
Broncos: Wallace (solid) Macca (can be great or horrible) Norman/Hunt (unknown)
Titans: no 5/8 or fullback of note, Srama still young
Eels: hooker?
Bulldogs: Hodkinson? Pfft
Canberra: other than that trailer trash rats tail fullback, who have they got?
Cowboys: Payne is past his best IMO, Lui very average
Knights: Mullen meh, Buderus ancient, Kidley can be great but can be horrible
Roosters: did they sack Carney? Lol. They have Pearce and....

Seriously manly with cherry, Foran, Stewart and ballin is the standout, notwithstanding I thought Foran was pedestrian last season.

Warriors with Johnson, Mahoney, Locke and Friend is premiership class.

I rate Widdop. First full year at five eigth and he was tearing teams apart with his running game. Would consider him above average.

With Parramatta, I actually think Sandow is really talented and could be something with the right mentor but the idea of a Ben Roberts/Chris Sandow sounds like potential suicide.

Canberra have Campese. Going to be a big question if he can get back to peak fitness but when he's on he can basically carry Canberra into the finals.

Roosters have Pearce & Jake Friend. Good little player who made a big difference when he came into their side in 2010 and 2011. One of the dumbest decisions they made last year was playing Piggy over him.

Both Warriors and Manly look really good on paper but I just wonder how good Nathan Friend will be after all the injury troubles he had last season. He's the type of player who has to go flat out to be effective so it will be interesting to see how he performs.

The Storm obviously have the standout spine but i personaly think that Newcaslte arn't that far behind. 1: Boyd, 6: Mullen, 7: Gidley and 9: Beduraus. That is world class and would test out any team in the game today.

Our spine is by far our biggest weakness this year.

Active Now

• Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • theshed
  • MrMoore
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • levikaden
  • Bish
  • LittleDavey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.