Best Underdog QLD win?

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
For me it's game 1 2001, running with a lock in Hooker a centre in 6 and second rower in centre we managed to win against a dominant blues team at the time, Lockyer was massive in this game and our only elite spine player at the time as well as being the main kicker at Fullback and it started right from the time he first touched the ball, I think what made this game soo good also was it was the last game at the old Lang Park before the rebuild, no one ***** with us at Lang.

Also what a legend Carl Webb was, such a shame the MND he is dealing with such a legend.

Ofcourse I'm too young to look into the 80s and early 90s games so if anyone has different explain it here.

That first try setup by Lockyer looks almost looks the same as what Walsh did against the cowboys in round 2 lol.

I absolutely loved both wins in 2001. I actually prefer them both to my answer to this question but...

The answer undoubtedly is all 3 games of the 1995 series. NSW had 10 internationals, we had players that barely played first grade with fucking Fatty Vautin as the coach. They all played like their lives were on the line.

I absolutely loved both wins in 2001. I actually prefer them both to my answer to this question but...

The answer undoubtedly is all 3 games of the 1995 series. NSW had 10 internationals, we had players that barely played first grade with fucking Fatty Vautin as the coach. They all played like their lives were on the line.
Soo many examples to prove NSW doesn't get origin, we just give more *****. rarely do we have the same player quality to use.

I was pretty young but I remember the build up to game 1 2001 and the atmosphere on the night being insane. Even though they got smashed the year before you could feel they were gonna do something special. And Lockyer putting Lote away off the kick return after 90 seconds is one of my all time favorite plays.

Its pretty hard to go past the 95 series...when Fatty was coach.
One of the greatest underdog stories in the history of the world.

I've gotta say the Covid year really surprised me. I gave them exactly NO CHANCE to win that. I mean Corey Allen, The Lee cousins, Capewell in the centres. Our team was a shitshow.

It easily is the closest to rival 1995.

I've gotta say the Covid year really surprised me. I gave them exactly NO CHANCE to win that. I mean Corey Allen, The Lee cousins, Capewell in the centres. Our team was a shitshow.

It easily is the closest to rival 1995.
Agreed, that was a Bennett special.

It's a toss up between 1995 and 2020. No Super League aligned players were available in '95 and Qld were forced to select household names such as Tony Hearn, Craig Teevan and a 17 yo kid named Ben Ikin. Whereas NSW basically had a full strength squad as teams like Manly, Newcastle and Easts remained with the ARL fold. Qld won the first game 2-0 and ended up sweeping the series. Stunning upset and proof that players grow an extra leg when donning the Maroon jersey.

2020 certainly qualifies as well. Massive injury toll after a chaotic COVID influenced season. WB had to call on the likes of Brenko and Edrick Lee and a debutant in Lindsay Collins. They all performed magically as well as their team mates and the rest is history. They were dubbed as the "worst Qld team ever" before the series started. Any team coached by Bennett is always a threat and 2020 proved that.

Just to toss up a few other contenders.

1980 - Not only were Queensland rank outsiders but the whole concept was considered a waste of time. This had a similar perception as the All-Stars and City/Country game and came across as a desperate attempt to keep the Interstate concept relevant. 79 in particular was a horrible year for Queensland and they were smashed in every game. The 1980 Interstate played out even worse for Queensland, but even so when they got to the Origin game, they drew a fantastic crowd at Suncorp, the players bought in and even Artie Beetson in the twilight of his career had a huge game to pass the torch on. It was a huge moment for the sport and set a tone.

1981 - Despite the result in 1980, there were still a lot of scepticism around the concept. There was this narrative that the Blues were ambushed and went into it expecting a friendly only to be overwhelmed by the Maroons on the night. So come to 1981, the Blues led 15-0 and were just completely on top of the Maroons with Eric Grothe Sr just carving the Maroons up with every touch of the ball. Then the Maroons showed their grit, turned it around in the second half with Wally Lewis leading the way. 80 got the concept off the ground, but there were no excuses after 81.

1982 - First series win and had to come back from a fairly convincing loss in Game I. The scores look close, but that was only because Mal had one of the all-time great solo efforts.

1987 - NSW had gotten the swing of things and had won the last two series. The pendulum was beginning to turn and the Maroons greatest hope was this blonde hair #7 who looked like he should be running the water. Despite losing the opening game, Allan Langer was the best player on the field that night and it became one of the all-time great Origin series. Nobody who first laid eyes on Alfie thought he'd have the career he did.

Game II 1989 - The Maroons ended up winning with 12 men after five players came off with injury. They lost Mal, Alfie and Fatty early with Lidner staying on the field with a fractured ankle before eventually coming off in the final five minutes. It was one of the most remarkable victories in Origin history.

Weren’t we always under dogs even during our 10 year dynasty lol

Weren’t we always under dogs even during our 10 year dynasty lol

Hmmm...... you mean "really"

The media certainly painted us as such (ie underdogs)......considering our winning streak,
we were always touted to lose.

Interesting to know the odds/betting market last 15 yrs.,...?

2020 is the best in recent history in terms of ‘underdog’ status. I think that really set the tone for the dynasty that we are about to witness ….

Seriously though, our team is going to be very good for a long time.

Grant, Walsh, Ponga, Cobbo, Carrigan, Hammer, Taulangi, Fifita, Flegler, Tino, Gilbert and Cotter are all under 25

2020 is the best in recent history in terms of ‘underdog’ status. I think that really set the tone for the dynasty that we are about to witness ….

Seriously though, our team is going to be very good for a long time.

Grant, Walsh, Ponga, Cobbo, Carrigan, Hammer, Taulangi, Fifita, Flegler, Tino, Gilbert and Cotter are all under 25

The issues will be as they always are centre and halfback. Hammer looks like he’s solved one centre problem though. Maybe J Fifita will come good at the other one because there isn’t anyone else looking promising there unless Cobbo makes the switch which solve that problem easily.

Queensland went in massive favourites for this one but it was what happened during the game that was truly amazing. As pointed out by Big Pete Queensland overcame a huge injury toll to win the series and the NSW crowd even applauded the Queensland side for it.
Will never forget the amazing try Lewis scored thanks to one of the hardest tackles ever made in the game from Trevor Gillmeister.

The issues will be as they always are centre and halfback. Hammer looks like he’s solved one centre problem though. Maybe J Fifita will come good at the other one because there isn’t anyone else looking promising there unless Cobbo makes the switch which solve that problem easily.
Dearden will likely be our 7 moving forward. Sam Young Rooter doesn’t look like he has the goods to me, but time could change that Perspective

Dearden will likely be our 7 moving forward. Sam Young Rooter doesn’t look like he has the goods to me, but time could change that Perspective

What about this for gen next (25 and under):
1. Walsh/Ponga/Savage/Chester/Campbell
2. Taulagi/Coates/Savage/Khan-Pereira
3. Hammer/Howarth/Tass
4. Cobbo/Sami/J.Fifita/Howarth
5. Cobbo/Sami/J.Fifita
6. Mam/Drysdale
7. Dresden/Walker
8. Tino
9. Grant
10. Cotter
11. Fifita/Su'A
12. Luki/Nanai
13. Carrigan

14. Mahoney/Mozer/Simpkin/Chester
15. Horsbrough/Hopgood
16. Flegler
17. Gilbert

The forwards have an embarrassment of riches at the moment, even the backs, there is a lot to work with, even if out of position. The issue really is halves.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • bb_gun
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • sooticus
  • Mustafur
  • Browny
  • Spoon
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • davidp
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Cavalo
  • Organix
  • Bish
  • lynx000
  • Wolfie
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.