Betting Syndicate

Yep and sports taking on betting agencies as sponsors really ties their hands as to how much they can/will do to take action involving gambling

I can see some heads rolling big time over this. I think the roosters will be looked at also

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Guys can we please be extra careful with this one, ie. no clues that make it obvious who is being talked about. If the media aren't willing to name names then we sure as hell aren't going to get involved.

Bucking Beads said:
I can see some heads rolling big time over this. I think the roosters will be looked at also

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
I heard the rumour mill last year going absolute rank that the Roosters betting scandal was going to break and heads will roll etc etc, something to do with the brothel thing. Never happenned, the powers that be chickened out (like the pun)

do you know that edited posts still show up in the google search. strange.

Well this thread can only go to a good place from here... lolz.

Coxy said:
Beachy said:
mrslong said:
Gambling is a blight on the game and it should be ceased immediately imho. Maybe you can have a win/lose type punt available, but anything more than that just is just asking for trouble.

Absolute cobblers

No it's not. As soon as you put gambling around a sport you open it up to corruption.

So banning gambling on sport will stop that from happening?

Beachy said:
Coxy said:
Beachy said:
mrslong said:
Gambling is a blight on the game and it should be ceased immediately imho. Maybe you can have a win/lose type punt available, but anything more than that just is just asking for trouble.

Absolute cobblers

No it's not. As soon as you put gambling around a sport you open it up to corruption.

Unfortunately, if you stop sports betting, it will go underground which will make scandals like this more difficult to detect.

Jazza said:
Beachy said:
Coxy said:
Beachy said:
mrslong said:

Absolute cobblers

Unfortunately, if you stop sports betting, it will go underground which will make scandals like this more difficult to detect.

Spot on icon_thumbs_u

Beachy said:
Coxy said:
Beachy said:
mrslong said:

Absolute cobblers

I'm not saying that, but I think it's time the NRL bans clubs from being sponsored by betting agencies, and forbids third party sponsorship arrangements with individual players and betting agencies (surely the latter is the case already).

What Coxy said, 100%.

I love a bet as much as the next person, but it's obvious the betting agencies are getting too much control over the product.

Another thing I find interesting is that I think it might mess with players heads. I've seen a certain renowned first try scorer bomb certain tries by not passing the ball over the past season - and I am NOT implying in any way that he is involved in match fixing, but I do wonder whether all the pressure to be the first try scorer get's in the heads of these guys. Especially when they know their brother, mother, father has $50 on em every week to score first? (Of course he could just be a greedy try pig)

I think that once these investigations are through, if any players are implicated, the NRL must come down hard on them and de-register them. Regardless of their profile. This is the only way to discourage other players with a dishonest streak from taking the risk.

Unfortunately (if the current rumours are indeed true) I can see there being some scapegoats in this scandal while others may come out with clean hands.

mrslong said:
What Coxy said, 100%.

I love a bet as much as the next person, but it's obvious the betting agencies are getting too much control over the product.

Another thing I find interesting is that I think it might mess with players heads. I've seen a certain renowned first try scorer bomb certain tries by not passing the ball over the past season - and I am NOT implying in any way that he is involved in match fixing, but I do wonder whether all the pressure to be the first try scorer get's in the heads of these guys. Especially when they know their brother, mother, father has $50 on em every week to score first? (Of course he could just be a greedy try pig)
Let me guess, does *edit* sound familiar? Because I've also thought about that this year as well.

Coxy said:
I'm not saying that, but I think it's time the NRL bans clubs from being sponsored by betting agencies, and forbids third party sponsorship arrangements with individual players and betting agencies (surely the latter is the case already).

Well the NRL itself will also need to say no to any form of sponsorship from betting agencies as well if they are going to stop teams from it.

But we all know that nothing short of a Federal Law banning it (ala the ban on cigarette companies sponsoring sport) will see this happen. Although banning sponsorship by betting agencies won't stop these issues in any case. The only thing that might stop it (as mrs long already said) is to ban "exotic" (weird term, but anyway) bets like FTS, LTS, First to Score, How they Will Score etc etc etc etc. It is a lot easier to "fix" or "cheat" small parts of the game like this than it is to "fix" an entire match. But again - stopping these kinds of bets will also never happen, or just send them underground.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bish
  • Jedhead
  • Old Mate
  • Aldo
  • HVbronco
  • Xzei
  • HarryAllan7
  • Broncorob
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.