BHQ Countdown: Most hated players

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
We played the Dragons not long after the 'hot sauce' incident. The fans absolutely have it to him out there on the wing. Was wonderful.

Freddy is just harmless and dumb.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
always thought he was an overrated ****. cooper was better than him imo.

hot sauce, whined about the tazo's, came back on unders (from memory, something was sus with him signing half a season) to coattail to a prem. wanker.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Yep, hated Mark Gasnier and his dumb **** goofball smile. He's a tit.

Never had any hate for Freddy. Like @Nashy said, he's harmless. Always enjoy whenever he's in the commentary box alongside Fatty or someone, because they both just speak their minds, and some of the shit they come up with, well... 😂

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
"King" Gutho, wtf? He's not even the best player in his position in his city, fucked if I know how that garbage came about.

Bog average.
From memory it was when he switched from wing to 6 with Manly out of necessity and he killed it for the rest of that season. They called him King as a gee up because his form was so unexpected

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
The Gutherino is one of the worst things ever. I don't have a massive issue with him tbh, beyond waving his arms everywhere in every play begging for a penalty. If that was my yard stick though, half the comp would be named tbf

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
From memory it was when he switched from wing to 6 with Manly out of necessity and he killed it for the rest of that season. They called him King as a gee up because his form was so unexpected
I thought it was Voss when they started playing at BankWest.

In the first game did he start calling Moses the prince of bankwest (first try scorer and generally had a good game)... and then later in the year Gutherson did something and it was something like "Well if Moses is the prince then that must make Gutho the king of bankwest".... or something like that 🤔🤔

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I thought it was Voss when they started playing at BankWest.

In the first game did he start calling Moses the prince of bankwest (first try scorer and generally had a good game)... and then later in the year Gutherson did something and it was something like "Well if Moses is the prince then that must make Gutho the king of bankwest".... or something like that 🤔🤔
Possibly, I thought it was A Johns, he possibly was playing for Parra already.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Possibly, I thought it was A Johns, he possibly was playing for Parra already.
Looks like it might've been Johns... maybe I'm thinking of it the other way around where Voss was calling Moses Prince or something.

Luckily I have Joey in my hated list as well 👍👍

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
My hate for Brad Fittler stems from him declaring his last origin (perhaps 2002?) and when they lost his last game (or draw?) he cried and unretired the next season. Or something to that effect. Basically he would only retire as a winner, which makes him a total loser.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
42. Russell Packer - I can understand this from the perspective he took a piss on Suncorp. Otherwise he was just one of those hyped forwards coming from the Warriors who peaked in 2011. I can't really remember much about his return beyond him picking up where he left off. He bolstered the Dragons pack, but when he went to the Tigers he was an excess to their needs.

41. Cooper Cronk - Boo! I would have thought the image of him choking Cameron Smith in the 2018 GF would have clensed him in the eyes of fans? Is it the fact he's considered a club legend at two of the most despised clubs in the NRL? I've always had a soft spot to Cooper due to family reasons and he played with plenty of class. He's the best exponent of the cross-field kick I've ever seen and he'd have to be one of the most clutch field goal kickers. I wasn't sold on him being a legend until 2012 when he kicked THAT field goal in Origin and was instrumental in the 2012 GF.

40. Anthony Seibold - Never watched him play, probably the worst things to happen to Brisbane since Lockyer tore his ACL. It was like he studied everything Ivan Henjak did and somehow made it worse. If I was a young fan, I don't think I'd be anywhere near as passionate about the sport if I came up through this era.

39. Josh Dugan - Now we're talking! One of those players that had all the talent to be the next Hayne, Folau, Inglis and in the end he was a slightly better Josh Hoffman, Sam Perrett. He carried on like he was better than he was, could never get his body right and the teams he played for post-Canberra were boring to watch. Every now and then he'd do something impressive, but he'd just as easily come up with a soft option.

38. Ashton Sims - Yeah...that one hurt. To be fair, he wasn't alone that night. Both Moon and Clinton were hooked for their efforts, so it goes to show how bad they were going for Sims to stay on the field. I thought he redeemed himself somewhat in the corresponding game the following year when him and Nick Kenny just battered the Dragons pack but everyone (other than a real one like Morkel) glosses over it. I guess it's just easier to sum up that period by pointing at players like Sims, Clinton, Michaels etc. to explain why the club dipped.

37. Matt King - He was one of my favourite non-Broncos until he scored that hat-trick in Game III 2005. Then he hit JT with a cheap shot the corresponding game the following year and I went off him. Putting that aside, I thought he was one of the best backs in the competition and was disappointed he went to England when he did. NSW in the space of one series went from Matt King to Steve Turner, it was pretty dire stuff.

36. Clinton Gutherson - Fair shout. Personally, I appreciate the effort Gutho puts in and I enjoy just how erratic he is. He'll either have a game out of the top shelf or he'll look like a reserve grade player - I don't think there's a more Parramatta player in history. I think rep coaches have cottoned on that he's just a good club player and I have a soft spot for those fringe rep players.

35. Stephen Crichton
- Spose it makes sense to have some PENRITH representation. I'm mixed on the whole thing because I was on board with the PENRITH philosophy until 2020. Then they just got too high on their supply in an era where clubs were making tremendous sacrifices just to keep the competition afloat. No doubt they'r talented players and I'd like to think Penrith would have enjoyed success, but it just came too easily due to factors beyond their control.

34. Mark Gasnier - As the #1 Brent Tate fan, I used to hate Gaz back in the day. A flat track, one trick, media darling who couldn't get the job done without others holding his hand. Now I'd say I was being too harsh and he was a classy player and one of the best in the mid 00s but at the time I wasn't having it. I had largely moved on when he signed in 2010, but that would have been my smoking gun back in the day. The only way you can win a premiership is when everyone else has built the foundation, the best team is out of the competition and you only have to rock up in the back-end?

And yeah that deal was shady as all hell. A back-ended four year contract where he called time during his second year.

33. Freddy Fittler - Oh captain my captain. He was the Australian skipper when I started watching so he automatically had my respect and was clearly one of the most talented players of all-time. I get it though and not only is he a Roosters great, he's probably the first player most fans think of. Which is apropos considering he's a Panthers junior. On top of that he's the Blues coach and despite being absolutely gifted some series, has the temerity to complain and ref blame when things don't go his way.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
My hate for Brad Fittler stems from him declaring his last origin (perhaps 2002?) and when they lost his last game (or draw?) he cried and unretired the next season. Or something to that effect. Basically he would only retire as a winner, which makes him a total loser.
Alfie spoiled the party in 2001, so in 2004 after a few injuries Gus sent out an SOS to Freddy.

Then Slater spoiled that party, so Gus gave him another shot in Sydney. Despite there being much better players on the night, the only moment that gets replayed is the garbage time charge down try to Freddy which they've enshrined as one of their moments of Origin folklore.

I spose it's better than falling off a horse.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
34. Mark Gasnier
image.png

2000-2011
Clubs: St George Illawarra
Rep Allegiance: NSW (12 games), Australia (15 games)
Highest Vote: 5 (Renegade)

33. Brad Fittler
image.png

1989-2004
Clubs: Penrith, Sydney
Rep Allegiance: NSW (31 games), Australia (38 games)
Highest Vote: 5 (BroncsFan)

The Fittler one for me is him effectively being the smug face of the rorters back in the early 2000's under Ricky Stuart... just absolutely despised that team. The '03 and '04 GF's are right up there for me simply because rorters were the raging hot favourites and lost. And now he's here as an overrated coach of the blues, after the dynasty, being talked up like he's a top shit coach, except he whinges and moans whenever his side loses and he has absolutely no idea what he's doing.

Gasnier is in my list as well... mainly because he's another one of those smug NSW'men that was overhyped by the Sydney centric media, and considered top shit even though he probably wasn't even the best centre in his club team. Hodgo shat on both of them from a great height and yet Gasnier would constantly get picked over him for rep teams, etc. due to NSWRL bias and media hype.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
38. Ashton Sims - Yeah...that one hurt. To be fair, he wasn't alone that night. Both Moon and Clinton were hooked for their efforts, so it goes to show how bad they were going for Sims to stay on the field. I thought he redeemed himself somewhat in the corresponding game the following year when him and Nick Kenny just battered the Dragons pack but everyone (other than a real one like Morkel) glosses over it. I guess it's just easier to sum up that period by pointing at players like Sims, Clinton, Michaels etc. to explain why the club dipped.

Jim-Halpert-Darryl-Philbin-Fist-Bump-The-Office.gif

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
33. Freddy Fittler - Oh captain my captain. He was the Australian skipper when I started watching so he automatically had my respect and was clearly one of the most talented players of all-time. I get it though and not only is he a Roosters great, he's probably the first player most fans think of. Which is apropos considering he's a Panthers junior. On top of that he's the Blues coach and despite being absolutely gifted some series, has the temerity to complain and ref blame when things don't go his way.

Vine Wtf GIF

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • RodF
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • leon.bott
  • Bucking Beads
  • Justwin
  • Allo
  • Xarr
  • Tmac
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Kev_Guz
  • bert_lifts
  • Dash
  • Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
  • Santa
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.