BHQ Gambling Association

Re: BHQ Gambling Association - DO NOT LINK TO BETTING WEBSITES

Yep, tough day alright. NZ Horses will be worth looking at. Best of luck to you Mieko!

Thanks mate. Yeah bit of a mixed bag on the weekend, had an all up for 110 going into last leg (Black Cash) for a place and bloody thing is still running!!!

still got up on Jacquetta and Rudy though so all smiles. Hope you had a win.

of course both the plays I happened to post up on here this weekend were losers, lol ...

will try to right the ship next weekend .. fwiw I don't usually post my plays on forums as most of are placed very close to game time to take advantage of any late line moves ect. Also to ensure I'm not siding with too many other punters - as 'popular' bets are generally not the ones you want to be on.

After years of trial & error and lessons learnt the hard way I've found the select few sports / leagues that I believe I have a consistent edge on and I limit my betting to only these. Some will probably be surprised at the obscurity of theses sports / leagues but that is exactly why I bet them - because they're not mainstream, so the chances of finding an edge / value are much greater imo.

What are these obscure sports you have a dig on? You been watching the Curling haven't you

What are these obscure sports you have a dig on? You been watching the Curling haven't you

WNBL, NBL & Netball (ANZ c'ship & internationals) have been my mainstays for the past three or so years .. I also bet the NRL but sparingly, when a strong situational play presents itself.

I'm basically limited to two books with these sports - one offshore and one Australian. They're about the only two left that allow longterm winners to stay with them. Did my dash with most of the 'mickey mouse' books that advertise heavily on tv (not sure if we're allowed to mention them in this thread?) a few years ago - the fuckery they put you through when they mark you as a 'sharp' (ie a winner) is disgraceful.

Well without naming names, what kind of fuckery do they put you through when you manage consistent wins? How do they justify telling you to go away?

It all seemed to begin around 2009 / 2010 .. or at least that's when I personally first noticed it .. I'd had an account with a very popular sports book (hint - naming right sponsor for a western sydney NRL stadium) since 2006 .. Over that time I'd grown that account from $250 to over 40k and had been allowed to get on any sport at any time for any amount I wanted ... Then suddenly when I went to place a bet (usually between $500-$1000) it would take several minutes to process and then I'd get a message that they'd only accept a max of $200 on it .. Or they'd just flat out reject the bet .. Then within seconds they'd move the line I'd tried to bet on a couple of points, even though they hadn't accepted my money on it. It was just ridiculous.

Same thing happened pretty quickly at two other popular commercial books I moved to after that ... basically it was their way of saying '**** off, we don't want you'

Anyway, the two books I'm with now are completely different ..

Seems there's been a few stories in the media about this stuff lately, here's a link to one below ..

Betting ban: bookmakers pick and choose punters - Today Tonight

That's poor form. They make it hard for winners and embrace losers. Have you ever bothered to take it further? I can imagine you'd be fucking furious with their behaviour.

That's poor form. They make it hard for winners and embrace losers. Have you ever bothered to take it further? I can imagine you'd be fucking furious with their behaviour.

yeah it was extremely frustrating and a bit scary initially not knowing where to turn to find a book that wasn't going to do this ..

Well it's a good thing you've found a couple of reliable bookies now. I guess it's no different from other industries, you always get businesses that are difficult to deal with.

WNBL, NBL & Netball (ANZ c'ship & internationals) have been my mainstays for the past three or so years .. I also bet the NRL but sparingly, when a strong situational play presents itself.

I'm basically limited to two books with these sports - one offshore and one Australian. They're about the only two left that allow longterm winners to stay with them. Did my dash with most of the 'mickey mouse' books that advertise heavily on tv (not sure if we're allowed to mention them in this thread?) a few years ago - the fuckery they put you through when they mark you as a 'sharp' (ie a winner) is disgraceful.

Fair enough mate. Wouldn't think many people would bet on wnbl or the netball.

why don't you just bet with the local TAB to avoid the bookies and their hard stance on continual winners?

I Feel your pain Bullshark.......I've been banned by 5 companies with the pommie ones being the worst (even got banned for losing once). They are bottom feeders.............Will take you bets if your a loser but as soon as you show signs of winning, you'll get banned. It's a Farce!

Bloody hell Bull Shark, you sure know how to gamble successfully! I'm more small time and I have done pretty well in that I have gone from $150 to about $1300, but as soon as I start to get on a small losing run, I just pull all my winnings. Mind you, I have only been mucking around with some strategies around horses. The obscure markets make sense though.

nothing at wrong with being small time mate, the number of horror stories I've seen on various betting forums where young blokes with no idea about what they're doing get in over their heads and start writing suicidal stuff after going on tilt and losing thousands of dollars is pretty awful.

The thing that enabled me to really learn the ropes with it was having a shit load of time on my hands when I was a single bloke and pouring over discussion / writeups / systems / philosophies / angles / methods ect that some really shrewd punters posted on various forums.

Even then, locking in on the money management / dicipline side of it takes a lot of time too ...

I'm getting pretty close to pulling up stumps (although I've said that a few times over the last couple of years) ... I've made more money from it that I ever thought possible and the demands of life / family and other pursuits mean time for research ect seems to be getting less and less. And once you start trying to take short cuts with it, it'll bite you on the ass.

No matter how successful you are at it, there are plenty of seriously gut wrenching times that will test every last fibre of your mental and emotional strength. I could write a book about the bad luck beats I've copped over the years, particularly when I used to bet on the NBA.

It's very much a matter of hanging tough during those difficult periods and trusting your methods.

Last edited:

I Feel your pain Bullshark.......I've been banned by 5 companies with the pommie ones being the worst (even got banned for losing once). They are bottom feeders.............Will take you bets if your a loser but as soon as you show signs of winning, you'll get banned. It's a Farce!

yeah mate, from what I've heard some of those English books have either bought into or taken total ownership of some of our local commercial books in recent years and that is why the switch suddenly flicked with regards to winners not being tolerated.

It really is disgusting business from those books because they trot out ridiculous tv ads that are clearly aimed at oung blokes in their 20's who have plenty of disposable income ..they show these glorified images of guys dancing to the ticket window or winning big online when in reality they're just setting these people up for a fall.

Great day for racing in Brissy today. Here's a few I like,

BR2 no6 General Exhibit
BR6 no4 Hampden
BR7 - great race with some old favourites in Phelan Ready, Steel Zip and Audacious Spirit all with value. The best of these I would take Steel Zip, does fly home hard. Though my winner will be with Morning Captain.

Good luck all

$20 on Gallen having a whinge if he loses tonight.

What can I say, I like a safe bet.

Magic Millions day tomorrow and of course I'll be having a small punt so here are a few numbers I like

R3, no 3 Anna Lizzie
R4, no 3 Steel Zip (the old fav) for value
R7, no 3 Club Command with no 8 close behind

the big one, race 6. 2yr olds so anything can happen so value comes into it for me. I like no 4 Celestial Dragon and no 13 Stroak, again good value. Jackpot first 4 on this so will take these with a few other value bets in the hope to jag 20 / 25% of a big payout.

Good luck.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.