BHQ RL Poll Results - Players

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Still keeping the Broncos version of the poll open until we get knocked out but voting is now closed for the NRL surveys. For all of these questions, I asked respondents to only base their views on performances going back 2013 as I am interested in the best going around, rather than those with the most decorated careers. I'll keep a list of the winners in this initial post and fill them in after the results are revealed.

BEST PROP

33 votes were tallied for this category and we had a majority winner! With 20 votes BHQ's best prop in the game is...

Matt_Scott_729-620x349.jpg

Matt Scott

Other Votes
Andrew Fifita, George Burgess - 3
James Graham, Josh McGuire - 2
Kasiano, Bromwich, JWH - 1

My Verdict: Probably a fair enough result but I'm somewhat surprised by the margin of victory. Think there's a little bit of bias in the voting, particularly with McGuire polling 2 votes. Surprised George Burgess didn't poll higher as I thought he's been excellent the past 2 years.

My WTF were they smoking vote: Sam Kasiano getting a vote.

Last edited:
For now I'll only post one result per day so as not to dilute discussion. I'll try and mix it up and post the most appropriate for this week's games, and with us playing the Cows I thought this was a good one to start with. Hopefully he fails to live up to his tag this weekend.

Sounds good Ari.

I voted for Bromwich. As far as form is concerned, I don't think there has been a more consistent prop this year and I believe he adds a bit more to the mix with his offloading ability. No shame losing to Scott who has produced some amazing performances this year but I gave Jesse the edge based on his performance in the ANZAC Test.

Kasiano? Was that Fourex?

Matt Scott is clearly the best, at least when Gallen doesn't play front row.

Fifita has had 1 good year?

BEST FIVE-EIGHT

Again 33 votes for this one. Somehow 2 people didn't vote for our winner, who of course was

255990-johnathan-thurston.jpg

Johnathan Thurston

Other Votes
Kieran Foran, Gareth Widdop - 1

My Verdict: The only real question about this one to include JT as a five eight or halfback. However, with all his recent rep honours at 6 and having played most of the year at 6 for the Cowboys I think it's safe to call him a 6 in today's game. He's clearly the number 1 five eight in our game though he still has yet to lead the Cowboys to a premiership. He gets another chance this Friday.

My WTF were they smoking vote: Gareth Widdop. Promising player but no way he's better than Kieran Foran, let alone JT.

Last edited:
BEST GOAL-KICKER

Only 25 responses for this one as it was part of a different survey. This was a close contest for the #1 spot, which ultimately went to...

558938-thurston.gif

Johnathan Thurston (8 Votes)

Other Votes
Pat Richards - 7
Adam Reynolds, Aidan Sezer -3
Trent Hodkinson - 2
James Maloney, Jarrod Croker 1

My Verdict: QLD bias much?

My WTF were they smoking vote: JT. His liftetime career percentage (78.64%) is below Sezer, Croker, Richards, Hodkinson, Maloney and Adam Reynolds. His kicking might be more fun to watch because of the way he bends it but if I needed someone to kick a goal to save my life JT would not be my first choice. You could maybe overlook a lower career percentage if someone always came up in the clutch but JT's kicking performance in Origin 1 was anything but. Even if you were considering only 2013 and 2014 like I asked for the positional surveys his success rate over that period is only 75%.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I voted for Reynolds as best kicker but I honestly can't remember.

Fifita has had 1 good year?

Voted for him, I just love the amount of work he gets through even when he plays 60+ minutes. Can break the line and set up tries too.

As for JT's kicking, there's games where he's just 'on' and doesn't look like missing and I'd back him over anyone for pressure kicks.

Fifita had a great 2013, could make the argument he was the best prop in the game then and there but still had the odd mistake in him which hurt.

Also was the king of getting away with knock-ons. Origin III was ridiculous in that regard.

With that said, I thought his 2012 was underrated, he was very handy off the bench and reminded me a lot of Tamou circa 2011 in that there was certainly potential for him to step up and become a rep.

Don't remind me about his injury run this year. Was my 2nd draft pick in the SVRL and I barely saw him.

I'm pretty sure I voted for JT, but if you had have asked me last year, my vote may have been different. I actually think JT's been given a free run for a long time at club level and he's been behind others in that regard. It really is a testament to his rep form that he's held in such high esteem.

Goal-kicking...I'm pretty sure I went Richards. Some of the kicks he's produced this season have been ridiculous. He's basically El Masri/Halligan v 2.0 to that extent.

BEST LOCK

33 votes for this one. Only 3 players received votes and our winner got 24 of them. As you can see, he was delighted with the news...

913426-parker.jpg

COREY PARKER

Other Votes
Sam Burgess - 7
ASADA cheat - 2

My Verdict: The right result but the margin of victory I don't think does justice to the narrow gap that I believe exists between Parker and Burgess. I voted for Parker in all honesty as a result of some bias and because I perceived Sam Burgess to give away too many silly penalties. But make no mistake, there's very little between the two, despite their different style. Burgess does have the benefit of a better coached and better structured team around him though.

My WTF were they smoking vote: None. ASADA cheat wasn't confirmed as such until after voting was done so can't really criticize too much.

2mplmc4.jpg

Sam is a much more of an attacking weapon, but makes a heap more errors which is to be expected.

It'd be nice to have Sam in our pack but we don't have the team to keep up with his style of play, Parker is the heart of our team and you can rely on him to do his job week in week out.

Last edited:
Sam Burger is one of those players that the refs just don't call half the penalties they should on. I dunno why either, it's like "Oh that Sam :)". Still one of the best forwards in the world, pretty much half the reason for the Souffs packs dominance.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Maroon4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.