BHQ's Best Ever Broncos Team - Centres

The two best centres of all time for the Broncos are...

• Steve Renouf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chris Johns

• Darren Smith

• Tony Currie

• Mick Devere

• Shaun Berrigan

• Chris Walker

• Other

• Total voters
M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
One of the hardest categories yet IMO - pick the TWO best Broncos centres of all time.

For me, one choice was easy - Renouf.

Aside from that I could've made a genuinely good case for Johns, Tate, Hodges and Devere on the next run. Went with Johns in the end, but it was a toss of the coin for sure.

Yeah, same. I went with Hodges because I think he just has that X factor over the other contenders.

Renouf by a mile, and then I went with Smith. Only because he was playing centres during that phenomenal 1997-98 team which was probably the best footy side I've ever seen or will see.

i went for Renouf and Hodges. was an easy choice here

Steve Renouf and Darren Smith, easily the best centre combination I have seen since I saw my first Rugby League match and definitely the best the Broncos have had, as for hodges and Johns, great centres on their day but Renouf and Smith just had that class and consistency about them that gets them over the line.

Renouf and Hodges for me.

A _little_ surprised with Hodges love to be honest. Yes, OK, he's played good footy for the Broncos, but he's not what I'd call a classic centre. I can't remember the last time he actually ran at a gap. He just beats players one on one.

Coxy said:
A _little_ surprised with Hodges love to be honest. Yes, OK, he's played good footy for the Broncos, but he's not what I'd call a classic centre. I can't remember the last time he actually ran at a gap. He just beats players one on one.

Who said we had to choose a 'classic' centre?

Renouf was a simple choice, but then i went with Hodges as my second choice

ningnangnong said:
Coxy said:

Nobody, but again I think Smith had far more impact for the Broncos for longer...but hey, each to their own. I think Hodges is great, but I don't think he holds a patch to Johns or Smith...IMO.

Coxy said:
ningnangnong said:
Coxy said:

Nobody, but again I think Smith had far more impact for the Broncos for longer...but hey, each to their own. I think Hodges is great, but I don't think he holds a patch to Johns or Smith...IMO.

I didn't really get to see Johns or Smith in their prime for the Broncos as i'm not old like you [icon_razz1 , hence my voting for Hodges.
handshake.gif

Renouf is the easily obvious choice. I came really close to picking Chris Johns for 2nd, but I went with Justin, he is an outstanding player.

The Pearl & Smith for me.

Smith was great defensively but also a great finisher. Leading try scorer in the comp in '98 with 23 tries.

Yeh I went with Renouf and Smith as well. The Pearl was a no-brainer, and went for Smith just in front of Hodges.

Easy choice - Steve Renouf and Darren Smith.

Renouf picks himself. one of the most gifted attacking centres the game has ever seen, and had the most brutal and effective fend up until old mate GI came around. his try in the 92 decider was just magic.

Darren Smith was just outstanding. scored a tonne of tries, was our leading try scorer during our dominant years, and you could just not have asked for a better player.

honestly, Justin Hodges has been pretty disappointing for the Broncos overall IMO. he was at his best at the Roosters, and has been far too inconsistent and injured too often to be anywhere near the level that Smith and Renouf were.

Anonymous person said:
honestly, Justin Hodges has been pretty disappointing for the Broncos overall IMO. he was at his best at the Roosters, and has been far too inconsistent and injured too often to be anywhere near the level that Smith and Renouf were.

Finally I agree with you on something.
Thinking back over Hodges' career in maroon and gold, only late 2006 and 2007 stand out. If he applied himself and worked on his game a bit - e.g. hitting the ball at speed rather than flat footed - he could be the best centre in the game bar Inglis.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Socnorb
  • Bucking Beads
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Brotherdu
  • LittleDavey
  • johnny plath
  • Fozz
  • levikaden
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Xzei
  • mieko
  • Skathen
  • Jeza23
  • Lostboy
  • GCBRONCO
  • lynx000
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.