BHQ's Team of the Decade Announced

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Ok, well take my post as a justification for Hunt's spot in the team of the decade.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Anonymous person said:
lets not try go down the 'hunt is better than slater' route again, we all know that doesnt end well for the pro-hunt group ;)

no no in his post he was right, in that department he is light years ahead of slater. One of the reasons Slater will never be anything more then a flashy fullback in a star studded team.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Slater is better at the one on one last line defence and his speed/evasion. There's no question of a doubt Hunt is more skillful with ball in hand and on foot.

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
I agree. Slater should have made the Broncos team of the decade over Hunt

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Coxy said:
Slater is better at the one on one last line defence and his speed/evasion. There's no question of a doubt Hunt is more skillful with ball in hand and on foot.

Hunt also has him for consistency . The only thing Slater is consistent at is being erratic. Hunt eats him for breakfast under pressure. The best players just get better the more pressure they are put under (eg DLock), Slater, unfortunately is not one of these.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
OXY-351 said:

LOLZ. Remember, it was AP who brought him into the discussion for some unknown reason!

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
Coxy said:
OXY-351 said:

LOLZ. Remember, it was AP who brought him into the discussion for some unknown reason!

Yeah, I know. It just seems like whenever the subject of Hunt comes up, Slater seems to be not far behind, regardless of the topic lol

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
hey dont blame me for bringing Slater into it, i didnt start it.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Rock said:
[quote="Anonymous person":2juhgmot][quote="The Rock":2juhgmot]
No they weren't stupid. His kick returns were effective. He'd run straight into the defence in the middle of the park and get a quick play the ball. That allowed our forwards to get back on side quicker to take a hit up.
getting a dominant tackle against you doesnt help your team. thats what he did 9 times out of 10 on the kick return.[/quote:2juhgmot]

I'm not going to repeat myself. My justification of his style of kick return is typed out in the previous page.[/quote:2juhgmot]

Id love to see examples of where we had props taking the 2nd hit up after hunts kick return. Pretty sure for the last decade it was devere, hodges etc doing useless dummy half runs up til about tackle 3 and 4

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Its not just the probs thing either thou it also ment at times he could hit the first line of defence get a quick play the ball and have a winger dart out of dummy half before the other team got in position.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Id agree, that happened SOMETIMES. but alot of the time because he got smashed it was called a dominant tackle, and hence the defence was allowed to hold him down longer. i personally dont see the advantage in it

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Besides, even if Hunt got a dominant tackle against him it's no big deal. In fact it sometimes helps the team get back into the offensive line and reduce the amount of dummy half runs that our wingers and centres have to do while waiting for the forwards.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yep. And it's not always THAT easy to effect a dominant tackle on someone who is running flat chat straight at you. More often than not when it happens it's a shoulder charge from the side and the guy in front just pushes him backwards.

Anyway, the sooner they get rid of this dominant/surrender bullshit and just judge every tackle on its merits (ie, players are visibly trying to get off the tackled player the moment the ref calls held), the better the game will be.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
It would seem harsh if Hunt is not in the team of the decade... ignoring his contributions doesn't seem logical to me. He played 6 full seasons at FB... cmon... and he was very integral 06-09....

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Coxy said:
Yep. And it's not always THAT easy to effect a dominant tackle on someone who is running flat chat straight at you. More often than not when it happens it's a shoulder charge from the side and the guy in front just pushes him backwards.

Anyway, the sooner they get rid of this dominant/surrender bullshit and just judge every tackle on its merits (ie, players are visibly trying to get off the tackled player the moment the ref calls held), the better the game will be.
i agree that they need to get rid of dominant/surrender calls, i hate them.

but i disagree on your first point - these days unless you keep moving forwards pretty significantly after you hit the defence they call it a dominant tackle.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Well yes, but physics dictates that if you're running full pelt one way, and the defender is standing still and bracing for the hit, then you're going to end up moving forwards after the contact. Especially if you're running to either side of them (on their shoulder almost).

It only changes when you're off balance.

In fact, much more likely as a fullback to get dominated if you start arcing your run as you reach the line.

I do think Hunt needed to pick a spot between defenders, rather than running straight at them...if only for self preservation, but still, I disagree he got dominated a LOT. Sometimes yes, but not all the time. In fact, the times he got dominated was when he'd try that ridiculous Benji step AT the line...meaning he was basically off the ground and easy to just smash (no forward momentum).

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
hey his first year Hunt rocked at that step lol

Unread

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jedhead
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Manifesto
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
  • sooticus
  • Waynesaurus
  • IceWorks
  • broncsgoat
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.