Big man a big winner from Kahu injury

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
A FORMER Bulldogs bulldozer could be the big winner from Jordan Kahu’s bad luck with Herman Ese’ese to audition for a Broncos call-up on Sunday.

The versatile Kahu is facing up to a month on the sidelines after suffering a thigh injury in Brisbane’s season-opening 17-4 win over Parramatta.

English Test centre Jack Reed will be given every opportunity to prove his fitness for next Friday’s clash against the Warriors at Suncorp Stadium to replace Kahu at left centre.

But if he is ruled out by medical staff, it’s likely coach Wayne Bennett will opt for Alex Glenn to provide a stopgap on the edge.

The experienced Glenn is more than capable of playing the position, showing his talent by setting up Corey Oates for a classy try against the Eels.

If Bennett goes down that path, Sam Thaiday would start in the back-row in place of Glenn, opening up a berth on the bench.

The 21-year-old Ese’ese joined the Broncos after being released by Des Hasler in the off-season.

He impressed Bennett so much in Brisbane’s trial win against the Cowboys he was taken to England as injury cover but didn’t play against Wigan.

Ese’ese will play for Souths-Logan against PNG in the first round of the Intrust Super Cup and a solid performance could see him earn a call-up for his second NRL appearance.

Other potential replacements include young gun Jai Arrow and Francis Molo who will play for Norths against Ipswich today.

Bennett said Reed would not play reserve grade this weekend and he wouldn’t be rushing him back from a shoulder reconstruction.

“You can’t rush him back. No one’s getting rushed back,” Bennett said.

“If Jack’s not fit next week he won’t be playing.

“That’s pretty much on the medical side of things right now. They’ll tell me when he’s ready to play.

“There’s no pressure from me to bring him back.”

Glenn has been a Mr Fix It for the Broncos in many of his 165 NRL appearances.

“We always feel comfortable with him in the centres,” Bennett said.

“He’s filled in a number of times for us last year. He does a good job so that helps.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...y/news-story/49ccc4c6e9e6c8c029828899a6f868ec

I thought Glenn went fairly well in the centres last night. Then again, he wasn't exactly up against quality either.

I thought Glenn went fairly well in the centres last night. Then again, he wasn't exactly up against quality either.

He did really well to poke his head through and set up Oates down the touchline; that's my main memory of him lastnight, though I did note also he seemed to be running with more purpose and 'oomph'. I'd back him in the centres, especially against the Warriors next week, the extra size could be useful.

Would rather Reed at centre than Glenn

Surely we can go with Opacic or someone? I like the looks of Ese'Ese, but rip our edge defence if Glenn is on the side of the field against a competent centre.

Good thing he won't be going up against any competent centres in the next couple of weeks. Well, not any centres that are going to concern us much.

Yeah, there is a chance he will be marking up against Konrad next week.. But that's about as good as it's going to get for the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Good thing he won't be going up against any competent centres in the next couple of weeks. Well, not any centres that are going to concern us much.

Yeah, there is a chance he will be marking up against Konrad next week.. But that's about as good as it's going to get for the next couple of weeks.
Best make sure his chin stays above lower rib cage level then...

Glenn would be ideal to stop konrad i think, plus he already has a good combination with milf on that edge and it would be nice to see thaiday and milf link up on the left

Would rather Reed at centre than Glenn

I have the exact opposite thought. Maybe it's my Reed-hate reaching new (perhaps irrational) heights, but Thaiday, Glenn, Oates is so much better than Glenn, Reed, Oates.

Glenn used to play centre so it's not entirely foreign to him, I'd wager he's faster then Reed still too. He's still small/agile enough to play out there so he shouldn't be caught out by any opposition, at least not any worse than Reed often is.

Also not opposed to a rookie like Opacic getting a run. Our backline tends to break fairly regularly so we need some experience into the second-stringers because chances are we'll need them. Also because they'll be firsts in the next couple of seasons

It's Glenn for mine if Reed isn't back. He seems
even more mobile this year and the way you put Oates in was as good as you will see from any centre

I'm gutted for Kahu. I'm not on the Reed hate train as much as some but I rate Kahu so highly. He is solid in defence and is close to Hodges level (close by mortal standards) when it comes to giving his winger good ball. I want to be able to watch his freakish tap ons each week.

With Jack being out this was really his chance to earn a permanent spot in the centres. He has had such a bad run with injuries and I actually think this might have been his last real chance to be the amazing full time centre that I think he's capable of. At least at the Broncos.

I'm gutted for Kahu. I'm not on the Reed hate train as much as some but I rate Kahu so highly. He is solid in defence and is close to Hodges level (close by mortal standards) when it comes to giving his winger good ball. I want to be able to watch his freakish tap ons each week.

With Jack being out this was really his chance to earn a permanent spot in the centres. He has had such a bad run with injuries and I actually think this might have been his last real chance to be the amazing full time centre that I think he's capable of. At least at the Broncos.

This wasn't his last chance. No offense mate but I think you are being a bit over the top

This wasn't his last chance. No offense mate but I think you are being a bit over the top
Haha nah I didn't meant to sound like that. I just mean if Reed comes back and plays decent, Jordy will be stuck on the wing, excluding injuries in the centres. I think he's a better centre than Reed but Reed is good enough and Kahu is a solid enough winger, to justify him staying out there.

I have the exact opposite thought. Maybe it's my Reed-hate reaching new (perhaps irrational) heights, but Thaiday, Glenn, Oates is so much better than Glenn, Reed, Oates.

Glenn used to play centre so it's not entirely foreign to him, I'd wager he's faster then Reed still too. He's still small/agile enough to play out there so he shouldn't be caught out by any opposition, at least not any worse than Reed often is.

Also not opposed to a rookie like Opacic getting a run. Our backline tends to break fairly regularly so we need some experience into the second-stringers because chances are we'll need them. Also because they'll be firsts in the next couple of seasons

AMEN brother

What a conundrum. .

With glenn going to centre, who plays back row now? ?

Thaiday would be the obvious choice. . But with all the ramp up of "experienced forward on the bench" they'll look rather silly if they start Thaiday and have Ese’ese on the bench.

If they are serious about it, Ese’ese will start

Active Now

• marw
  • Midean
  • Brotherdu
  • Fatboy
  • Pablo
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Spike
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.