Blaming Sims - a disgrace

Where was Locky or Hunt to call for dummy half runs in the last minute. The easiest way to avoid big collisions is dummy half running. Melb would not have wrestled as they wanted quick play the balls at the time so we could have rolled down to the 40 mtr line no problem and had them going backwards on the kick.

Ther were just so many chances to lock the game up prior to that, not taking the penalty, Ennis getting stripped after we took the tap was a big big moment, even dropping the ball just B4 halftime when I am sure we were setting for a field goal.

What about Moon getting chewed up and blowing our interchange plan, not to mention letting in the first try.
How about 3 players under the high ball and watching Slater catch it.

And the biggest mistake of the game IMO was the video ref not giving Boyd benefit of the doubt, I will never be convinced that he could say conclusively that a blade of grass didn't touch the ball. Even when he tipped the ref Harrigan said it looks held up but he can't say for sure, bingo, thats benefit of the doubt.

Dexter: I think the vid ref was right to say Refs Call on that one. On all angles, the view of the ball got impeded by other players, meaning there wasn't enough evidence to rule try, benefit of the doubt, or no try.

So it was left to Hayne to trust his own view (and no doubt having looked at the big screen repeatedly too - that's a pet hate of mine, if the vid ref can refer it back, he should not have the benefit of the big screen to make the decision, it should be his and his touchies' call based on their vision at the time).

Dexter said:
What about Moon getting chewed up and blowing our interchange plan, not to mention letting in the first try.
How about 3 players under the high ball and watching Slater catch it.

Very valid points. The defence on that kick was woeful. And add to Moon Clinton's dissappearance. With Thaiday gone we were down to a one man bench late, weren't we? Surely Moon could have slotted into lock or second row, and Clinton could have come back on to relieve tired forwards. I'm still wondering what Bennett was thinking, honestly.

Honestly I think Bennett knows better than anyone that the Storm target and capitalise on players low on confidence. And no doubt Moon and Clinton were that.

Coxy said:
Dexter: I think the vid ref was right to say Refs Call on that one. On all angles, the view of the ball got impeded by other players, meaning there wasn't enough evidence to rule try, benefit of the doubt, or no try.

So it was left to Hayne to trust his own view (and no doubt having looked at the big screen repeatedly too - that's a pet hate of mine, if the vid ref can refer it back, he should not have the benefit of the big screen to make the decision, it should be his and his touchies' call based on their vision at the time).

Yeah, but Harrigan had 2 bob each way, he couldn't make a decision so he refers it back, fair enough, but he referred it back and said it looks held up but I can't really tell. To me if he refers it back he says nothing at all.

I would hate to lose a game on a benefit of the doubt call like that one but there was doubt therefore it goes to the attacking side until the rule is changed.

Coxy said:
Honestly I think Bennett knows better than anyone that the Storm target and capitalise on players low on confidence. And no doubt Moon and Clinton were that.

I'd have still prefered fresher legs (and hands) versus the possibility of a mistake or a missed tackle. It's neither here nor there, now, though. I wonder if we'll get more transparency from Henjak, or if he'll be just as reserved as Benny always was? I could handle a coach who gives a bit more of an idea of what he is thinking.

Henjak has been quite refreshing all season with his interviews. Fairly forthcoming and up front.

Anyway, all this dissection is making me depressed again. We lost. It sucked. Can we please forget it now?

blaming aston is a joke but slater try minuts earlier was more of a joke, he out jumped 3 broncos who didnt even jump for the ball !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gave them the motivation to look for anather

rod78 said:
blaming aston is a joke but slater try minuts earlier was more of a joke, he out jumped 3 broncos who didnt even jump for the ball !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gave them the motivation to look for anather

That's those bloody Storm players for you [icon_thumbs_do [icon_non

Always....WINNING! [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

Hammo said:
rod78 said:

Yeah always winning, like in 2006? [icon_lol1.

GCBRONCO said:
Hammo said:
rod78 said:

:oops: Yeah, they lost that. Oh well, I guess you're only as good as your last game..........

Hammo said:
GCBRONCO said:
Hammo said:
rod78 said:

:oops: Yeah, they lost that. Oh well, I guess you're only as good as your last game..........
or your 7 Grand final appearances and shock horror 7 wins? Storm teams always win Premierships when they make it right? Especially against the Broncos?

I think the Broncos as a team cost the game. You shouldn't let your entire season hang by 2 points with 2 minutes to go.

I have waited quite a while before I decided to comment on this and like everyone I was just gutted. I agree pretty much in principle with what everyone is saying here and I do agree with what Mal and Coxy said, and to paraphrase it wasn't totally Sims fault we lost the game. "However", my only point is “despite†all of the dropped balls, failed attempts at try scoring and poor decision making throughout the game we were still in front with tackles up our sleeve with less then a minute to go. Should have been in front by more, Lockyer should have not tried an impossible pass, should have kicked for 2 right in front, etc, etc, should have, didn’t, doesn’t change where we were 45 seconds from full time. The reality was that Sims has always had a suspect hold on the ball (point up) and this was highlighted many times throughout the season, and his only job in his last carry up was to HOLD THE BALL, he didn’t, and well history tells the tale. Is he to blame for the loss? Yes and no. What he did do was take the opportunity for the win away from our control and gave it to the Storm. Should he be vilified for the rest of his career? No. I just hope it makes him a better player. I hope he finally changes his style of ball carrying and I hope it haunts him for the rest of his career so that he realises that every carry, regardless of what time of year or what time is on the clock is important, and that one mistake can and does have an effect on more then just him, then maybe, just maybe its worth the pain. Sometimes you have to experience the pain before you truly appreciate the joy and success.

Active Now

• Thelmus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.