Blaming Sims - a disgrace

A

andirect

BRL Player
Sep 14, 2008
I can't believe some of the so-called Broncos fans making groups on Facebook etc. blaming Sims for our loss. As WB said, plenty of other people dropped balls that night. I think initially a lot of us were upset at Ashton for dropping the ball at that time of the game, but it happens in Rugby League.

Ashton copped a lot of criticism throughout the year, but I can't fault his effort and the passion he wore the Broncos jersey with. I just hope all this doesn't have a negative effect on him and he comes out and rips in next season.

Cheer up Ashton, the real fans don't blame individuals for a team loss!

woah woah woah woah woah
woah woah woah woah woah
woah woah woah woah woah
woah woah woah whoa
STOP!
HAMMER TIME

just wanted to get in before this thread gets moved into the other sims threads lol

His dropped ball was the only one that lead to the match winning try though....

Sorry I didn't see the A grade thread...

andirect said:
I can't believe some of the so-called Broncos fans making groups on Facebook etc. blaming Sims for our loss. As WB said, plenty of other people dropped balls that night. I think initially a lot of us were upset at Ashton for dropping the ball at that time of the game, but it happens in Rugby League.

Ashton copped a lot of criticism throughout the year, but I can't fault his effort and the passion he wore the Broncos jersey with. I just hope all this doesn't have a negative effect on him and he comes out and rips in next season.

Cheer up Ashton, the real fans don't blame individuals for a team loss!

Big difference between dropping it a few sets in when you are trying to drive the line hard and get behind the advantage line, than hitting up 3rd tackle with a minute to go, 2 points ahead in your own 20 in a semi final. Sorry, but I'm going to call a spade a spade, he royally fucked it up for the Broncos.

No pussy footing around in my posts.

But in saying that... we all make mistakes, his cost us dearly we need to forgive and forget and move on.

He was without doubt the reason we lost the game, but i'm not going to crucify him for it.

When I saw the late news last night which mentioned the Facebook pages about Ashton Sims I join straight away and told them in no uncertain terms what a bunch of wankers they are and they need to take a cup of shut the f**k up, those individuals who think to target an individual such as this do NOT deserve to be called Broncos Supporters.

The Broncos only scoring 2 points in a half of football, while letting in 16 cost us... not one drop ball.

andirect said:
The Broncos only scoring 2 points in a half of football, while letting in 16 cost us... not one drop ball.

2 points was enough to win the game. Dropping a ball 20m out of your own line with a minute ago was enough to lose it.

BTW, criticising your players, picking out your teams weaknesses and being dissapointed in both team and individual performances as well as being greatful for all the good is the reason why we are fans.

It's the people that can't constructively criticise their team and try to polish turd performances are the ones I have my doubts about. Turning a blind eye to problems within a team is not constructive at all.

Nobody's saying you can't criticise Ashton. We all know he fucked up. Big time. But saying he cost the Broncos the game, or cost them a premiership is TOO harsh.

As I said in the other thread, there were so many incidents that the Broncos could've avoided and potentially scored from which would've meant Sims' dropping the ball there wouldn't have mattered.

It's absolutely unfair and ignorant to claim he alone lost the game for the Broncos.

Coxy said:
Nobody's saying you can't criticise Ashton. We all know he **** up. Big time. But saying he cost the Broncos the game, or cost them a premiership is TOO harsh.

As I said in the other thread, there were so many incidents that the Broncos could've avoided and potentially scored from which would've meant Sims' dropping the ball there wouldn't have mattered.

It's absolutely unfair and ignorant to claim he alone lost the game for the Broncos.

I don't believe he is the sole player entirely responsible for our demise, I honestly don't. We could have put the game away earlier on with several opportunities. But the game (you must admit) was in HIS hands at that time and was there for the taking on that hit-up. Sure we could have put away the game earlier and made silly mistakes but at the time he dropped the ball we were in our best position to win the game, 2 points ahead, 1 minute on the clock, 3rd? tackle. The way he ran that ball back, ball security was the last thing on his mind (when it should have been the first- my biggest issue with it). It was a very stupid mistake and one I hope he learns from.

Sure, Hodges cost us the ability to be more point ahead earlier in the match or Lockyer and Carrolls muckup etc etc. All very bad handling errors. But their mistake wasn't as costly as Sims as far as time and context of the game when they were done- that's all I am saying. Sims needed to take the tackle and hold onto the ball, most of the other mistakes were due to quick passes, quick play the balls trying to score points.

And I am not a Sims hater, far from it. I think he has the potential to be a really good 2nd rower for us, just needs to get some mongrel in him and dare I say it, ball security haha.

I think I'm struggling to express my feelings on the matter, I am just trying to emphasise that holding onto the ball at that stage of the game, when being tackled was the most important thing he should have been doing. He shouldn't have been trying to hit the line as hard as he did with such an exposed ball. Completely different situation compared to when Clinton dropped the ball in their 50 trying his utmost to get over the advantage line.

He didn't need to make metres, he needed to take his time. Argh, am I making any sense? haha

Yeah, and I agree. Sims made a mistake in the way he ran the ball back. I just don't think it's fair or appropriate to say he lost the game for the Broncos. That implies he was THE cause of the defeat.

Sorry, yeah I do not believe he was the main cause of the defeat, we had ample opportunities to put more points on and stop them from scoring 'em (ala Slaters try). I just believe his mistake cost us the most, and it was an extremely unprofessional mistake.

Had Lockyer opeted for the two, Parker would have wound teh clock down, Brisbane would have either had 6 tackles from their own goal line, or the oppertunity to field a short kick off. Either way, a set of 6 with a good kick chase would have won the game. If people are going to blame Simms, blame Lockyer aswell.

I blame Slater. He shouldn't have had his feet under Hannant ffs.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • Financeguy
  • Broncs1459
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.