Blues snub a boost for Broncos

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
ANTHONY Mundine cannot believe it, nor can Benji Marshall.

Why was James Roberts on the Wayne Plane to Auckland with the Broncos on Thursday instead of preparing to line up alongside the Hayne Plane in a Blues jersey?

Roberts was overlooked for a maiden State of Origin call-up despite his sizzling start to the season that has reaped eight tries in 10 matches.

Blues coach Laurie Daley stuck solid with Kangaroos right centre Josh Dugan despite him being on restricted training duties as he recovers from a fractured cheekbone.

Roberts’ Origin snubbing saw his uncle, Mundine, take to social media to slam Daley’s decision.

Fill-in Broncos five-eighth Marshall feels the same way, but has seen the silver lining ahead of Saturday’s clash against the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium.

“I cannot believe that,” Marshall said.

“I thought he was very stiff to not make that side. He’s been the form player of the comp out of all the centres.

“We’ve seen time and again he breaks the game open. He could have added a bit of spark there. He’ll get his opportunity.

“It’s pretty good for us. He’s definitely our strike player on the edges. We’ll be looking to get the ball to him a bit.”

Dugan himself feels a touch of fortune in retaining his Blues jersey.

He has been playing fullback for the Dragons this year, but his nine previous Origin appearances earned him the nod.

“(Roberts) is playing good footy,” Dugan admitted.

“He’s chomping at the bit to get there. It’s probably lucky I’ve been here before.”

Wayne Bennett’s Broncos will be missing seven regulars — Maroons stars Darius Boyd, Matt Gillett, Sam Thaiday, Josh McGuire, Corey Oates and Anthony Milford, along with hooker Andrew McCullough (concussion).

The omissions threaten to end Brisbane’s six-game winning streak, but Marshall believes the Broncos have the cattle to get the job done against a woeful Warriors side.

“They are obviously in a bit of a tough patch at the moment,” Marshall said.

“On paper we still think we’ve got a fair enough team to win the game. That’s the way I feel.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/3accbcba67e6fde4ff96aef4db09d3d3

I wish they would stop talking about him. If we beat them in Origin I they will call him up for II. Dugan is bound to break a nail or something in the next couple of weeks again so they will be looking for a replacement.

If they don't want him maybe we could have him ala Inglis? They are cousins and from the same area aren't they?

Wayne plane vs the Hayne plane. Amazing journalism

If they don't want him maybe we could have him ala Inglis? They are cousins and from the same area aren't they?

Maroon suits him better anyway

Just hope the snubbing doesn't set him back mentally. We all know it was a goal of his, he's worked bloody hard and couldn't possibly have done more this year except missing a short time because of injury.

Agreed and hope it doesn't set him back... unfortunately he's not the prototypical outside back that NSW love so he would have to be absolutely killing it to get a look in... or just play for the roosters

**** I hope he scores the match winner against the charity fuckers today so I can lol@NSFails.

Don't understand by Roberts has been snubbed at this stage. He's just back from injury and is not incumbent. If he keeps tearing it up like he has been then we need to ask questions... having said that if he was a Queenslander would have preferred him to O'Neil even coming back from injury.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.