NEWS Boyd’s Brutally Honest Assessment of Hellish Season

Understand your angst mate but we have a saying in racing - ‘you never give up while you have an untried 2 yr old’ or words to that effect.
We have plenty of them at the moment and I for one am looking forward to our next game. A win would be good but a change in players attitude (like v the Roosters) would be enough to float my boat at the minute. Chin up - better and brighter days ahead.
I'm not giving up on the team, but until I'm convinced that the players care about what they do, I won't be shelling out extra money to attend games in person, I'll just buy a non-ticketed membership and watch from home. I put more effort into attending a game than these guys are putting into winning one, and until that changes, I won't bother going.

This will likely offend you all but after having given up on this season I am thoroughly loving the Boyd shitshow and look forward to it every week. He really didn't disappoint last game with those two spectacular howlers and I cannot wait to see what comedy gold awaits against the Sharkies.

"Not a real fan", some will yell at me. Maybe not any more, but I was a fan of the broncos back when they were the broncos. Remember the way Broncos used to be about exciting ad lib football with take-no-shit hard as nails forwards, the team you could never write off even if they were down by 20? When we become the broncos again I'll be back on board, till then I am an amused neutral enjoying the comedy stylings of Darius Boyd.
Lol, whatever it takes to keep your sanity.
I’m approaching this season more like a lawyer gathering evidence against Macca & Boyd. “Ooh look, Macca passed to a forward on the 4th with milf screaming for the ball, and Darius waved his arms at the ref as the other team scored.....put them in the Brief”

The "It's only a game" comment greatly concerns, especially as he has said it multiple times. That may be something he thinks internally or a coping mechanism for him and that is fine but stop fucking saying it. Boyd ad most of his team-mates look like they couldn't give a shit and comments like this just back that assumption up. The fact that he has said it before and the club haven't stopped him from repeating it ***** me off even further, clearly they think the same.

I don't think Boyd should be our fullback as much as the next person.

The biggest problem I see though and I feel for Seibold is that who do we have to even replace him.
Bird, Milford and Isaako are all currently injured or long term outs...
We have no experience in the spine bar Macca (who again, is lack lustre to say the least).
There is no fit for role player to actually come into the team.
We have a multitude of injuries and players out on rep duties.

If we weren't struck down with multiple injuries to our back line this year, I am almost certain that Boyd wouldn't be in the side and that the Broncos fans would still be finding something else to complain about.

1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Boyd/Staggs/Shiba
5. Isaako/Staggs/Coates
6. O'Sullivan
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Joe O
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Haas
14. Sege
15. TPJ
16. Fifita
17. Flegler

Looking at that as a side without injuries, we look so, so much better and would probably be playing much better footy.

Until then, there's only so much we can do.

I can't see Boyd seeing out his contract but again, to force him out of the team right now would be down right crazy IMO.

Last edited:
This guy is kidding himself. If he can't see it somebody else has to pull the trigger.

The this is just a game line disturbs me. It shows he is not hungry at all and has no respect for fans.

Its not just a game to fans you complete asshole. To some its their life to some it all they have to look forward to each year. A sick kids moment to feel happy an old persons reason to catch a train, a divorced dads time with kids. There are so many people connected to Rugby league and Rugby league teams because it can give them happiness, something in a week to keep their minds off life.

Its that simple, turn up and play for your fans.

It's the Wayne Bennett mentality that I thought had left when he exited. I thought he was quoting Wayne when I read the article.

Darius I'm sure you're aware that all over Queensland, indeed Australia there are battlers doing it real tough. Some are on shitty casual hours, some have two or three part time jobs trying to make ends meet, some have no job and are well below the poverty line.

For them a meal in a fancy restaurant is well out of reach. Forget holidays overseas or even interstate. Hell a monthly trip to Maccas is considered a luxury and a special treat for the wee ones. There is not much for them to look forward to and very little highlights in their weekly routine as they struggle to eek out a living.

Some have serious ailments and are house bound, some are fighting mental demons brought on by the depressive state of trying to cope with today's so called 'modernity'.

One thing that costs next to nothing and that really lifts their spirits is watching their favourite team play on the weekend and the little glow of excitement they get watching their boys rip in may be the only positive feeling and ray of sunshine they get through an otherwise hellish week.

For you to say that rugby league "is only a game" is a downright disgrace. Seeing the Broncos run around and doing their thing means the world to so many people. You must know this as you have been on numerous trips to country towns during origin and seen how much the game means to these people.

Saying "it's only a game" was like shitting on every loyal fan that has put their heart, soul and hard earned cash in to supporting you. You really have lost the plot sunshine. You're a disgrace to the jersey, the club and are doing yourself a gross disservice when you sprout this insensitive claptrap.

Every other Broncos captain before you let their actions speak for them. I suggest you zip it, stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. If you can't earn your grossly over payed salary at least try and earn some respect from the Broncos fansbase.

Darius I'm sure you're aware that all over Queensland, indeed Australia there are battlers doing it real tough. Some are on shitty casual hours, some have two or three part time jobs trying to make ends meet, some have no job and are well below the poverty line.

For them a meal in a fancy restaurant is well out of reach. Forget holidays overseas or even interstate. Hell a monthly trip to Maccas is considered a luxury and a special treat for the wee ones. There is not much for them to look forward to and very little highlights in their weekly routine as they struggle to eek out a living.

Some have serious ailments and are house bound, some are fighting mental demons brought on by the depressive state of trying to cope with today's so called 'modernity'.

One thing that costs next to nothing and that really lifts their spirits is watching their favourite team play on the weekend and the little glow of excitement they get watching their boys rip in may be the only positive feeling and ray of sunshine they get through an otherwise hellish week.

For you to say that rugby league "is only a game" is a downright disgrace. Seeing the Broncos run around and doing their thing means the world to so many people. You must know this as you have been on numerous trips to country towns during origin and seen how much the game means to these people.

Saying "it's only a game" was like shitting on every loyal fan that has put their heart, soul and hard earned cash in to supporting you. You really have lost the plot sunshine. You're a disgrace to the jersey, the club and are doing yourself a gross disservice when you sprout this insensitive claptrap.

Every other Broncos captain before you let their actions speak for them. I suggest you zip it, stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. If you can't earn your grossly over payed salary at least try and earn some respect from the Broncos fansbase.
Think you should deliver the run on talk.

On second thought....maybe at half-time.

The only way he comes out of this with a shred of dignity is announce his retirement after the Sharks game for seasons end and just come out and say he isn’t up to the rigours of the week to week grind and just put a stop to the running joke. The relief that would give the disillusioned fan base may actually change their current feelings about Darius.

But if he is going to keep trotting out this “it’s only a game” bullshit and keeps digging his heels in taking his monthly salary which he is barely earning half of and wants to treat the club like a charity, it’s only going to make the fans anger towards him grow week by week.

My feelings towards him has started to grow from disillusioned to just downright hatred now. I don’t know how the rest of you all feel.

Great post.

The other thing he said which I didn't like was how fans shouldn't criticise players (him,obviously) because of mental health problems.

It's the second time this season he has tried to play that card and it reeks of entitlement to being above criticism.

Post of the year.

We're fielding 823 games less experience than the Sharts on Sunday (2151 games to 1328).

Of our 1328 games, 811 belong to Boyd, Glenn & Macca.

I know we're tired of Siebold banging on about it but our squad is seriously inexperienced & particularly with our injury situation I'm not sure dropping Macca + Boyd is the answer this week.

I think many of you are reading far too much into the comment that it's 'only a game'. It is only a game, a game amongst hundreds of others. The fact that people attach such importance to it, and by it I mean winning at something is secondary. I'm certain Boyd wasn't belittling others or being entitled or whatever significance so many are attaching to the comment.

Sure it means a lot to some and none of us like the current situation but so many on here are getting upset about something that wasn't said. They are getting upset about what they attach to the simple statement not having any clue as to that which Boyd intended.

When a close friend was dying in front of me, at that moment rugby league, like so many other games was in fact 'just a game'. It wasn't important, hell it wasn't even close to being worth a thought. I believe Boyd was simply pointing out that it's not life or death and if it disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't change the world one iota. Sure we'd miss it but there are so many other things more important. A couple on here have considered ending their lives and I say that's truly a life and death situation and while they contemplated their future, rugby league wasn't that important in that moment. It was after all, just a game.

I think many of you are reading far too much into the comment that it's 'only a game'. It is only a game, a game amongst hundreds of others. The fact that people attach such importance to it, and by it I mean winning at something is secondary. I'm certain Boyd wasn't belittling others or being entitled or whatever significance so many are attaching to the comment.

Sure it means a lot to some and none of us like the current situation but so many on here are getting upset about something that wasn't said. They are getting upset about what they attach to the simple statement not having any clue as to that which Boyd intended.

When a close friend was dying in front of me, at that moment rugby league, like so many other games was in fact 'just a game'. It wasn't important, hell it wasn't even close to being worth a thought. I believe Boyd was simply pointing out that it's not life or death and if it disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't change the world one iota. Sure we'd miss it but there are so many other things more important. A couple on here have considered ending their lives and I say that's truly a life and death situation and while they contemplated their future, rugby league wasn't that important in that moment. It was after all, just a game.

I still expect better of the captain of my club. And the fans absolutely deserve better.

I wish I could like this a million times.

I still expect better of the captain of my club. And the fans absolutely deserve better.
I believe we deserve better performance, yes. I have no issue with what Boyd was quoted as having said. I wasn't upset and I thought his appraisal was reasonable. Everyone perceives things differently. Boyd has been poor and I believe he knows it.

I wish I could like this a million times.
On the other hand I thought it was emotional rubbish for the most part. A whole load of hand wringing attached to a four word sentence. I thought it was way over the top..oh woe, think of the children, those poor once a month maccas children. Ffs.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.