Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Turpinj 180708703

Boyd confident Turpin will be fine in the nine

May 7, 2019

New Broncos hooker Jake Turpin is set to get an extended stint in the No.9 jersey with confirmation Andrew McCullough has suffered a medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury.

McCullough went for a scan on Tuesday on the injury suffered at training on Monday and Broncos head of performance Paul Devlin confirmed the Maroons rake had "a fairly decent MCL injury" to his right knee.

The Broncos have not put a time frame on McCullough's recovery date but it is expected he will be out for at least six weeks.

Turpin has been named to start at hooker for Friday night's clash with Manly at Suncorp Stadium after starting this season with Redcliffe in the Intrust Super Cup.

The 22-year-old has played two NRL games for Brisbane after debuting last year and captain Darius Boyd said he had the skill set to do the job with distinction.

"Jake has been a great player for us in the couple of games he played last year and has been doing some good things in the Queensland Cup," Boyd said.

"He works hard, he's got a good motor and is a good defender as well which we are definitely going to need because Macca is our best defender.

"We will miss Macca's experience but if we can hold the ball it will make Jake's job a lot easier because we won't have to make as many tackles.

"We also have a couple of options if Jake can't finish 80 minutes, then Alex Glenn and Kotoni Staggs can move in there and take a bit of pressure off as well."

The Broncos' spine has undergone an overhaul in the past fortnight with half Kodi Nikorima signing with the Warriors and now McCullough's injury.

Turpin and 18-year-old half Tom Dearden will now play together for the first time with five-eighth Anthony Milford and fullback Boyd.

Broncos forward Matt Gillett said McCullough would be "a massive loss".

"He's been our best this year. He's a competitor and does a lot of work through the middle," Gillett said.

"Teams have shown this year that they can cope without key players and hopefully our side can do that.

"I went and saw Macca yesterday in the change rooms and he gets pretty disappointed and angry about those [injuries]. He wasn't too happy with what happened.

"He is a team player and doesn't want to let the team down."

McCullough will see a surgeon later this week to determine the next step in his rehabilitation but Devlin offered hope that he could make a speedy recovery..

"We have seen some guys come back from MCLs in accelerated time now so we will hold some hope for that," Devlin said.

"They tend to heal pretty well, he will go into as brace and we will progress his rehab journey straight away.

"There is no more professional player especially with injuries than Andrew, so if anyone is going to get back really quickly, he will certainly be a candidate for that."

As expected, the Broncos have dropped winger Jamayne Isaako and centre James Roberts and elevated Gehamat Shibasaki and Kotoni Staggs to the starting line-up.

Shibasaki will play right wing and Staggs left centre with Jack Bird reverting to his favoured right centre position.

Source: NRL.com

Can turps handle 80 minutes?

And Gillett thinks McCullough has been our best this year...

I’m a bit disgusted by Boyd doing all these interviews, for the past weeks, all what he do is claiming his good healthy form or saying he never run this fast before and yet make a shit list of awkward show when he’s supposed to make tackles as the last guy of our defense.

I know he’s our captain and he’s role is dealing with social media or speak for the teams. But doesn’t he even feel embarrassed to say these good words for his teammates? Yes, compared to his form, everybody else is doing great this year, but are they?

He’s been talking Joe deserves Marroon Jersey, that’s a fat lie, this year Joe is quite average, his top performance probably only deserves Broncos a bench seat, not even mention Maroon.

He’s been talking TPJ big impact, but apparently the “million dollar “ boy can only behave once every eight weeks. That’s a fucking miracle if we give this kind of dude one million a season.

At this point, I really don’t care who’s qualified or good enough to be our captain, I just sick of Boyd putting on this kind of crap show every week. Anybody who can lead by action on and off field is better than Boyd.

I got to say it wouldn’t be such a bad idea if the club can sweet Boyd into some kind of deal for seeking early retirement exchanging certain jobs in the clubs. He’s got a politician mouth!

Poor bloke is struggling to handle Q Cup, so I don't think so.
Someone said Cory pair got injured this weekend, but I see him on the list too, got an idea about him can play or not?

"We also have a couple of options if Jake can't finish 80 minutes, then Alex Glenn and Kotoni Staggs can move in there and take a bit of pressure off as well."

Where are all the people that laugh me off the forum for suggesting Glenn or Staggs at hooker?

Where are all the people that laugh me off the forum for suggesting Glenn or Staggs at hooker?

Didn't Glenn play a while back and suck?

They can move in there, and they have in the past, but it doesn't mean they were any good. We also had Gillett playing in the halves a couple of times, he theoretically "can" play there again.

I dunno how Staggs would go with more practice, but I'm sure Glenn has even always made McCullough look like a star there.

It was at the suggestion that Glenn could actually do the job at hooker. Just because someone can cover a position, it does not mean they are any good in that position.

Glenn showed that in his time at hooker. He showed just why he shouldn't be anywhere near there.

It was at the suggestion that Glenn could actually do the job at hooker. Just because someone can cover a position, it does not mean they are any good in that position.

Glenn showed that in his time at hooker. He showed just why he shouldn't be anywhere near there.
I’m with you if we are honeslty considering these two as fill in hookers we have bigger issues.

Turpin is the best option. He'll make Macca look like he was the reserve grade player

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bongo
  • The True King
  • MrTickyMcG
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrMoore
  • Wolfie
  • bert_lifts
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncsgoat
  • kiwibronco
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • Lurker
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morepudding
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.