Boyd wants to go out on top

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
DARIUS Boyd says he is yet to decide how many more years he wants to play for the Broncos.
Boyd said talks started last month about his re-signing and he doesn’t want to leave.

But the 29-year-old Broncos and Australian fullback said he was mindful of not playing so long that his standard of play falls “off a cliff’’ in his last season.

The Courier-Mail reported on March 1 that contract talks had started with the new Broncos captain and that his management had advanced to the club the idea of a four-year deal worth as much as $1 million a season.

The super-fit Boyd would turn 34 during the fourth year of such a contract.

“I’m not too sure how many years I’d like it to be,’’ Boyd told The Courier-Mail.

“I want to play as long as I can. I want to play at a higher level as well. I don’t want to fall off a cliff and make up numbers either.

“It’s a really good question and I’ll have a think about it and the club (will consider) as well. Corey Parker did it really well. He left at the top of his game, playing for Australia and that’s something I respect and like to do.

“I definitely want to stay here and sign. I don’t think it’s close. My manager only started talking with them maybe two or three weeks ago. With the salary cap (limit yet to be advised by the NRL) it’s hard for anyone to lock down roster spots.’’

Coach Wayne Bennett said when announcing Boyd as captain last month that he wanted the fullback to be a long-term skipper to break the club’s recent run of one-year captaincies.

Bennett said at the time it was also a consideration for Boyd to follow in 2018 Darren Lockyer’s mid-career conversion from fullback to five-eighth when Ben Hunt’s departure frees up a playmaker role.

Lockyer said it was premature to spend much time debating the advantages of moving Boyd out of a position which the versatile Jordan Kahu, to name on, would grab with both hands.

“But if there are no big name signings coming through, then Darius’s name would come up for discussion — he has the ability,’’ Lockyer said.

“He has a big body and is a good defender. If he was asked to go to No.6, I don’t think he would mix a beat really.’’

Boyd said he hoped the Broncos’ retention campaign kept back-three teammates Kahu and Corey Oates in the fold.

“Oatesy is an Origin player now and has aspirations to move into the backrow,’’ he said.

“Jordie can find fullback, centre and probably five-eighth as well. We don’t want to see young players like them go and hopefully they can be re-signed.

“I think both wingers were great against Cronulla (in the round 1 win last Thursday).’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/d1e7c063b17bffe479e97884ad7c9aa5

if you can't mix beats you can't be in the team.

Would love to see Boyd in the halves later in his career.

Talk of signing Foran or Taylor returning I think is wishful thinking. The chances of it happening are remote.

Boyd would be perfect.

Active Now

• Organix
  • Sproj
  • lynx000
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jazza
  • Allo
  • Astro
  • scobie
  • Stix
  • MTF75
  • Manofoneway
  • cento
  • Xzei
  • YeahNahMate
  • barker
  • Behind enemy lines
  • jd87
  • pennywisealfie
  • Johnny92
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.