Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Briers Appointed Development Coach for 2023​

broncos.com.au
Tue 9 Aug 2022, 06:15 PM

Vastly experienced coach and player Lee Briers has been appointed as Development Coach at the Brisbane Broncos for the 2023 season.

Briers will add an international flavour to the Broncos, having spent a quarter-decade stretch at Warrington in the English Super League – 16 years as a player in the halves and a further eight years as part of the Coaching staff to the end of 2021.

He will join the Broncos from the Wigan Warriors where he has been Assistant Coach of the Super League outfit this season as they sit second on the table.

In his playing career, Briers made 425 Super League appearances and was Warrington’s all-time points scorer with 2,586 points.

As a player, he spent five years as club captain and won three Challenge Cups, including the Lance Todd Trophy in 2010.

Retiring from playing in 2013, Briers slotted straight into a coaching role, assisting the U19s and Reserves grades before stepping up as Steve Price’s Assistant Coach in 2018, seeing the Wolves lift the Challenge Cup in 2019.

At International level, Briers made a sole appearance for Great Britain as well as 18 caps for Wales, scoring 77-points for the Dragons and also captaining the side for a small period of time. The Welshman appeared in one World Cup in 2000.

Briers 2

He has seemingly brought quite a bit of success to the teams he’s been an assistant at so he could be a smart pick up.

I’m curious who would’ve recruited him? Ikin, DD, or Kev? Also I’m wondering what this means for Ballin?

@1910

He has seemingly brought quite a bit of success to the teams he’s been an assistant at so he could be a smart pick up.

I’m curious who would’ve recruited him? Ikin, DD, or Kev? Also I’m wondering what this means for Ballin?

@1910
I feel like this would be an Ikin move, I also wonder if this means we will be looking for talent in england.

I feel england has plenty of players who can step up to our league but never got looked at, nearly all the ones that have came over in the last few years have handled it very well.

@1910

Ballin’s gone apparently

Ballin’s gone apparently
Is that you just putting 1 and 2 together or you read/heard that somewhere? I’d be shocked did he is gone already. Maybe Bronx are transitioning him to a cup side to coach there cause from what I’ve seen he has been getting fairly involved in a lot of aspects of club. Development, Senior Squad, Waterboy and even had a bit to do in origin. Reckon he is worth keeping. Hopefully just moving up the chain as an assistant would be ideal. You never know but he may have had an outstanding opportunity elsewhere or maybe just wasn’t up to scratch.

I feel like this would be an Ikin move, I also wonder if this means we will be looking for talent in england.

I feel england has plenty of players who can step up to our league but never got looked at, nearly all the ones that have came over in the last few years have handled it very well.
I was thinking exactly the same, hoping this opens a pathway to identify and recruit English talent.

Yep. Who the hell says "quarter decade" ??? That's bloody 2 1/2 years. Just say that.

That's what made me immediately notice it. Such an unusual way to phrase it.

The author obviously meant to use 'quarter century'.

@1910

Kev picks his staff but everything is researched and considered with consultation from above. Ikin is responsible.

News to Ballin.

just something I saw said elsewhere as isn’t this his current role?

I’m still surprised he’s working for us as he absolutely hated us as a player. Everyone’s a merc these days I guess

Active Now

• leon.bott
  • RolledOates
  • Browny
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Johnny92
  • HarryAllan7
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • davidp
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • BruiserMk1
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Santa
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.