Brisbane Broncos 1988

Wally won the 5/8th of the year in 1988 as well I think. Would probably be the only highlight from his Broncos career as his time with us was a failure.

Wally won the 5/8th of the year in 1988 as well I think. Would probably be the only highlight from his Broncos career as his time with us was a failure.

I strongly disagree with that. Wally achieved plenty of things in his time at the Broncos and he played plenty of good football in '88 and '89. 19 games in '88 for the Broncos first Queensland clean sweep, Harry Sunderland Medal for player of the series against England and was exceptional in a losing side in the third game and captained Australia to a World Cup win.

'89 another clean sweep and again he was great exceptional in the second game, lead Australia to NZ and a clean sweep. 18 games for the Broncos and a play of for fifth.

His Bronco legacy is tainted by 1990, only played 9 games, broke his arm v the Dragons, hammy problems, sacked as captain and then left the club. if he plays 18-19 games leads Queensland and Australia again he retires at the end of '90.

Broncos needed Wally and if they don't sign him in 1987 the club doesn't start, those older guys were only ever a quick fix. Wally was 29 when the Broncos started. He had already played 10 years of first grade, 5 Grand Finals, three premierships, played for Queensland since 1979 at half, bench, lock and 6 and for Australia.

Captaining nearly all those sides; under more pressure than any other footballer had ever experienced.

Did he do everything right? No he was a terrible trainer was set in his ways and wasn't great for younger players at the club but when you buy someone from the 70's what did you expect? Miles turned it around in 90 and 91 but even he got punted too.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Thelmus
  • Mighty Bronx
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Swordfish
  • Porthoz
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Wolfie
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.