NEWS Brisbane Broncos confirm they are going after Rabbitoh Cody Walker

heartly87

QCup Player
This would be a signing that makes no sense at all. Seibs and the club have all indicated that they are looking to the youth being developed and Seibs has stated Dearden is the future. Milf is not the issue in fact he will be playing his best football for us very soon with Dearden by his side.

The article lists all the young talent we have around us. Also the media has gone on and on about how we have very little cap room to hold onto our youth haha but we have the bank for a play at Moses, Burgess and Walker. Give me a fucking break.

The media wants our youth gone and love the idea of us being shit.

No Seibs will retain the best of our youth that he can and i don't see us breaking the bank on experience. We need to use the Melbs model and fill in our ranks with solid journeyman who will do a job. A club should only be paying top dollar for 3 blokes and really all that money should be spent in the spine.

The only spot that we could spend a bit on is fullback and that money is spent so hopefully Boyd can roll on and put some real form games together.

Maybe the board is just being ruthless and starting to show interest in players we dont actually want. Making other clubs break their banks trying to hold onto players. Its been happening to us for years so about time we give some back.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Just smacks of a troll to me. Stir the pot down at Souths, maybe get them to up the price to keep him...win win.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Just smacks of a troll to me. Stir the pot down at Souths, maybe get them to up the price to keep him...win win.
While making our players aware that no one is safe, training and playing consistently matters.

BroncsFan

NRL Player
He has just recently bought a house in Brisbane. Read into that what you will
Brisbane property is where the money is going nowadays Sydney and Melbourne too high

He's also from northern rivers area isn't he??

Maybe he intends to move to QLD near his relatives after he retires from the rabbitohs 🙂🙂

Last edited:
This is a great point. I think the only top choice he's landed during his tenure was Wayne in 2014. Every other big name we've gone after, player or coach, has been a big no.
We competed to sign Bird, milford, Seibold and Roberts. What BS.. Not even mentioning the 10+ juniors we currently have on our roster that were strongly courted by numerous clubs (eg haas, fifita, dearden)

Last edited:

FaithinHook

NRL Player
‘They need him’: Legend backs Broncos’ pursuit of Souths star

May 12, 2019 8:18pm
Simon Brunsdon, FOX SPORTS

Cody Walker (right) of the Rabbitohs is reportedly being pursuited by seven NRL clubs, including the Broncos.
Cody Walker (right) of the Rabbitohs is reportedly being pursuited by seven NRL clubs, including the Broncos. League legend Geoff Toovey has backed Brisbane’s reported pursuit of South Sydney star Cody Walker.

The Courier Mail reported the Broncos are one of seven NRL clubs who have contacted Walker’s management recently to inquire about the livewire five-eighth.

He is contracted to the Rabbitohs until the end of 2020 and is free to legally negotiate his future from November 1. The Broncos let halfback Kodi Nikorima walk to the Warriors last week, and have replaced him with teenage rookie Tom Dearden.

But Toovey says Brisbane needs a player like Walker if they want to be a premiership contender. “They need him, they need him up there,” Toovey told Controversy Corner. “His wife’s a Queenslander isn’t she?” Walker helped South Sydney tear North Queensland apart on Sunday at Suncorp Stadium, where the Broncos are hoping to call his home.

He’s considered a leading contender to be a NSW half for the State of Origin opener on June 5, which would be his Blues debut. But fellow legend Steve Roach believes Walker will remain at the Rabbitohs under coach Wayne Bennett. “He won’t go, he won’t go. He loves Wayne Bennett,” Roach said.

Controversy Corner panellist Mark Carroll says any player could be tempted with the right amount of money. “If someone dangles $800,000 or a million what are you going to do?” Carroll said.

Last edited:

Stu_9

QCup Player
Don’t think we need him, unless we are getting rid of Milf, and in that case we better have someone ready for when Cody retires in a couple of years.
I’m pretty confident it’s just media beat up anyway.

State of Origin Rep
He has just recently bought a house in Brisbane. Read into that what you will
Sold by one Cameron Cullen to him.
- Merged

Walker didn't play NRL until later, starting at 26 might mean he can play well into his 30's. He might not be a short term investment for a club.

Last edited:

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
****, this just seems like the Broncos responded with a flicker of interest when Walkers manager let all the clubs know he was exploring options. 7 clubs allegedly made enquiries amongst them ours. Why is that our club is being singled out? Most clicks?

I think there's no chance we'll pay him a fortune and he's simply not that good. No doubt he's talented but so are many others. I'd be very very surprised if we table an offer. It seems to me that Walker wants to stay where he is unless a fortune is offered by a SEQ club and this interest will ensure a ton of cash for his last major contract.

Ponga01

QCup Player
If we want a fullback then let's go after a fullback. Ponga over Walker every day of the week.
For the same amount of money you could probably get AJ Brimson, he is only 20, is a Qlder, was born in Brisbane and still can improve a heap

Last edited:

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Wayne Bennett warns Brisbane Broncos over Cody Walker

Written By Sporting News, 13th May 2019

South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett has sent a stern message to the Brisbane Broncos amid reports the club that sacked the veteran coach in December are preparing to make a play for Rabbitohs star Cody Walker.

Walker is contracted at Redfern until the end of the 2020 season but as first reported by The Courier Mail on Sunday, the Broncos have already expressed an interest to the 29-year-old's management.

Under NRL rules, rival clubs are not permitted to begin formal negotiations to poach Walker until November 1. But speaking to News Limited journalist Peter Badel, Bennett declared the brilliant five-eighth irreplaceable, warning, 'I don't plan to lose Cody'.

Bennett almost signed Walker to the Broncos on a three-year deal in 2016 before the Bunnies upped their offer to four seasons at the 11th hour. It is understood several clubs are already interested in the brilliant playmaker, who continues to make up for lost time after making his NRL debut at age 26.

Walker is currently on a reported $600,000 a season but will command close to seven figures on the open market. Bennett understands the Rabbitohs will have to 'pay good money' for Walker's signature and compared the No.6 to recently retired captain Greg Inglis, adding, 'you just don't replace those players'. Walker produced more magic in Sunday's 32-16 victory over North Queensland, scoring a brilliant try to take his season tally to 10 four-pointers in nine games.

"He played with his dinner suit on in the first half - he was probably reading all the stuff you've been writing about him, I don't know," Bennett quipped when asked of Walker's performance in Magic Round. "But he did what only he could do in the second half there when he scored that try - that was incredible stuff."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter