International Rep
Staff
🌏
    Featured
  • Staff
Brisbane Broncos could lose David Fifita to mega deal

Brent Read, The Australian
October 21, 2019 10:00pm

Boom Brisbane forward David Fifita is facing a choice between loyalty to the Broncos and the chance to become the game’s next million-dollar man as at least one NRL rival prepares to table a seven-figure salary for the teenager from 2021.

Fifita was already the most coveted player off contract at the end of 2020 but his stocks have soared again after his performance in the World 9s at the weekend.

He was a handful for opponents as Australia won the inaugural event at Bankwest Stadium in Sydney, showcasing his unique mix of speed and power as the Kangaroos cruised through the tournament.

The Broncos were facing a hefty fight to keep him given their tight salary cap, things so restricted they have been unable to further their interest in out-of-favour Melbourne halfback Brodie Croft.

They remain bullish about retaining Fifita — Broncos officials privately insist he is going nowhere — but the 19-year-old is being offered to rival clubs and will have to sacrifice significant money to stay at Brisbane, one club on Monday afternoon confirming he was now a million-dollar proposition as soon as 2021.

Asked how long they would be willing to commit to Fifita, an official from the club responded: “As long as he wants.”

The club, which is unable to table an official offer to Fifita until November 1, is not alone.

A host of rivals are closely watching the situation at the Broncos, where Fifita is one of several emerging stars with only 12 months remaining on their contract.

Brisbane are yet to announce new deals for prop Thomas Flegler and centre Kotoni Staggs, both highly thought of at the Broncos and elsewhere.

Staggs, in particular, is in line for a massive pay rise after breaking into first grade last year and becoming a fixture in the centres this year. Again, the Broncos are confident they are edging towards a deal for the prospective NSW centre but if he is up for grabs on November 1, there will be a stampede.

The squeeze is on at the Broncos after the club extended a handful of players over the course of recent months, among them Matt Lodge, Tevita Pangai Junior and Patrick Carrigan. They are also well down the road on an extension for winger Corey Oates and are fighting to retain captaincy candidate Alex Glenn in the face of a bid from Penrith to entice him to Sydney.

The club had given Jack Bird permission to explore his options in the hope that it would free up some cap space but it is understood he will now remain in Brisbane.

Their greatest challenge could yet be Fifita given the clubs that are queuing up to make him an offer in little more than a week.

Under the game’s contracting guidelines, which are currently under review and likely to be cast asunder in favour of a transfer window system, rival clubs are eligible to table offers to Fifita from November 1.

That leaves the Broncos with little more than a week to get him under lock and key or face the prospect of offers arriving from the length and breadth of the NRL.

At least one club believes Fifita is now worth a seven-figure salary, which would bring him in line with the top earners in the game.

Maybe only 10 players in the NRL have broken the million-dollar ceiling and only a handful of those are forwards — Cameron Smith, Sam Burgess and Jason Taumalolo.

Fifita is currently in camp with the Junior Kangaroos but there is every chance he will come into camp with the full national side in the lead-up to next week’s Test against Tonga in Auckland.

His teammates are in awe of his talent. “It is silly isn’t it,” Kangaroos utility Ben Hunt said.

“There is a bit of a joke getting around the team that it was two-up, give it to Dave and he would do the rest during the nines.

“It sort of worked out for us like that in the final too. He is such a freaky talent. He still has room to grow his game. He is such a big powerful thing and he is only going to get better.”

Source: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/brisbane-broncos-could-lose-david-fifita-to-mega-deal/news-story/47814ecffe068f15ebe1180f9369164a

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
  • Staff
Don't think we can, and certainly shouldn't, match the 7 figure offers.

Still, lol at the Bird part. Just shows how there's no such thing as a "luxury buy".
My favourite part was that we had the choice of chasing him or Moses, and opted to chase him. Imagine how much better our current team composition would be with Moses, who also would've come cheaper than Bird.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
If we can't even get him then we truly are fucked.

I stand by what I said earlier last month, if Seibold dares to name a barely changed side come Round 1, I am not watching a single game until they and he are gone.
We can't even talk to him about joining our club next year. Unless Melbourne give him permission to talk to other clubs, which by the looks of it they aren't, then there is literally jack shit we can do.

Skyblues87

NYC Player
I will watch on fox but wont go to Suncorp unless the shit has been flushed from the squad. Still pretty confident big changes are going to happen. Still early days and some of these journos know about as much as us about what is really going on.

Morepudding

NRL Player
If we can't even get him then we truly are fucked.

I stand by what I said earlier last month, if Seibold dares to name a barely changed side come Round 1, I am not watching a single game until they and he are gone.
To be fair though, I don't think Seibold has much control over it. The things that have cooked us are the signings that Bennett / White made before his arrival. They are the ones that signed Bird, Macca, Boyd, Gillett on the big money, long term deals. It show's how stuffed our salary cap must have been if we are struggling to retain people after releasing McGuire, Kahu, Roberts, Nikorima, Sua as well.

So if we name basically the same squad next year, I blame Bennett / White, not Seibold, because I think he is doing his best to move people on, it is just no one wants Boyd, Macca, Gillett or Bird on anything near their current deals.

If anything, we should be thanking Seibold for moving on the players he did, because they were players who weren't adding to us, and he was able to get rid of all of them without us needing to pay for any of their salary. If those players weren't moved on, we would have literally 0 chance of keeping Fifita, and as it is, that chance seems slim.

I just hope the rumours of Boyd having a contract activation clause for 2021 are true, so that they can make sure he doesn't hit it, and use that money to help bump up Fifita, because we simply cannot lose Fifita.

I'd look to move on Bird, Boyd, Macca, Gillett, Offa, Oates, TPJ, Lodge all before losing Fifita. Fifita will be the best second rower for the next 10 years, and Haas will be the best front rower for the next 10 years. Those are two players you can 100% build a team around.

badyon

QCup Player
Not going to read too much into this, but clearly David Fifita is the greatest rugby league player in the world , and if we lose him I'll be in the front row of the riots teamng down Caxton Street and up to Red Hill.

Battler

NRL Captain
North Brisbane
The fact that we can't even give away Bird, Gillett, Boyd, or Macca without footing a ridiculous amount of their contracts says it all about Bennett/ the club's recruitment decisions of late. If souths, Melbourne, or the rorters somehow sign Fifita I will vomit on the spot and give the game up.

Last edited:

Mustafur

QCup Player
Shitney
100% the Club is Parramatta, they have alot of cap space now, IMO if we can offer around 700k we should still be able to keep him.

Last edited:

Skyblues87

NYC Player
To be fair though, I don't think Seibold has much control over it. The things that have cooked us are the signings that Bennett / White made before his arrival. They are the ones that signed Bird, Macca, Boyd, Gillett on the big money, long term deals. It show's how stuffed our salary cap must have been if we are struggling to retain people after releasing McGuire, Kahu, Roberts, Nikorima, Sua as well.

So if we name basically the same squad next year, I blame Bennett / White, not Seibold, because I think he is doing his best to move people on, it is just no one wants Boyd, Macca, Gillett or Bird on anything near their current deals.

If anything, we should be thanking Seibold for moving on the players he did, because they were players who weren't adding to us, and he was able to get rid of all of them without us needing to pay for any of their salary. If those players weren't moved on, we would have literally 0 chance of keeping Fifita, and as it is, that chance seems slim.

I just hope the rumours of Boyd having a contract activation clause for 2021 are true, so that they can make sure he doesn't hit it, and use that money to help bump up Fifita, because we simply cannot lose Fifita.

I'd look to move on Bird, Boyd, Macca, Gillett, Offa, Oates, TPJ, Lodge all before losing Fifita. Fifita will be the best second rower for the next 10 years, and Haas will be the best front rower for the next 10 years. Those are two players you can 100% build a team around.
Exactly. I would let anyone leave to keep Fifita the only exceptions would be Haas and Isaako.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter