-NEWS- Brisbane Broncos could lose David Fifita to mega deal

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
My favourite part was that we had the choice of chasing him or Moses, and opted to chase him. Imagine how much better our current team composition would be with Moses, who also would've come cheaper than Bird.
Wasn't it more Ash Taylor we chased rather than Moses? We had Bird tied up and still chased Ash for months. We wouldn't have wanted Taylor and Moses.

Dazza 92

NRL Player
Once Fifita is tied up to a long term contract with us, you may find these other guys who apparently are expendable (Bird, Macca etc...) may illicit some enquires. I mean once Fifitas off the table you are into the next tier of available players. I reckon Jack Bird still has admirers down south and im sure Oates does too.

So watch this space in reckon....once a few more snowflakes fall dent be surprised by the ensuing avalanche..

Caniffe

NRL Player
Clickbait.

Looking forward to the Oates and Fifita dual signing announcement before Oct 31.

Morepudding

NRL Player
It is starting to annoy me how no signings have been made... We have lost Seggy, Fensom, Taga and some others. Still have Oates, Glenn and a couple others we expect to renew, and nothing has been done.

kooly87

QCup Player
"Offa will come good" People have been saying that since 2015. Every chance he has ever had to step up by starting or when we have been down on troops, he has been awful.
"Offa will come good" People have been saying that since 2015. Every chance he has ever had to step up by starting or when we have been down on troops, he has been awful.
Why does he need to start? He's been way better coming off the Bench in the middle of games. We have heaps of guys who love to start and Joe is way stronger coming off the Bench to balance that out.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Once Fifita is tied up to a long term contract with us, you may find these other guys who apparently are expendable (Bird, Macca etc...) may illicit some enquires. I mean once Fifitas off the table you are into the next tier of available players. I reckon Jack Bird still has admirers down south and im sure Oates does too.

So watch this space in reckon....once a few more snowflakes fall dent be surprised by the ensuing avalanche..
This reasoning has a lot of merit.

kooly87

QCup Player
It is starting to annoy me how no signings have been made... We have lost Seggy, Fensom, Taga and some others. Still have Oates, Glenn and a couple others we expect to renew, and nothing has been done.
Seggy, Fensom and Taga were all on literally base price deals. Their releases don't do anything to free up cap space at all as we still have to fill those squad positions with guys on the same base contracts at absolute minimum.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Hoffa did come good, made origin and went well. Then got a massive cut that ripped open his knee and struggled, not that surprising really.

He is a good signing and $500k these days really isn’t that big a deal.

Waynesaurus

NRL Player
Springfield
Hoffa did come good, made origin and went well. Then got a massive cut that ripped open his knee and struggled, not that surprising really.

Yeah I hope he comes good again, he has all the physical attributes.

Last edited:

Morepudding

NRL Player

it's a lot when i've been more impressed with Flegler and Carrigan who are both on 300k less per year... 300k would go a long way to getting Fifita to renew.
- Merged

If you look at the storm, they go hard for a few key players, and then get basement buys sub 300k usually. We have too many mid rangers.

Last edited:

Morepudding

NRL Player
Further to that, Haas can play 80, or close to. Lodge comfortable plays 50-60. So we really only need another middle forward or two that can play 20-30 minutes a game. That's why you don't spend 500k there.

Renegade

NRL Captain
I thought we read a while ago that Fifita is flat out leaving Ipswich thanks to mum, let alone another city altogether? Not sure why we're getting worked up about it, if he's close with his family then I don't see him leaving this contract.

kooly87

QCup Player
Further to that, Haas can play 80, or close to. Lodge comfortable plays 50-60. So we really only need another middle forward or two that can play 20-30 minutes a game. That's why you don't spend 500k there.
Haas realistically can't play 80 every week. Even if he could, it doesn't necessarily mean he should.

Lodge too seems to go better when he plays around 50 minutes as a ceiling.

You also point out that Flegler and Carrigan are better, which isn't even really true, but besides that, you're taking them on debut seasons and like a lot of young middle Forwards we may find they struggle to back it up in year two or on a consistent basis.

Joe may not have as many great games as those guys, but he also rarely has too many bad games. He's consistent and he's done his time at the club from reserve grade to State of Origin and was in my opinion fairly entitled to a new contract.

I think you're being way too harsh on him. He's done an excellent job for us off the Bench and seems to really excel in that role and when you weigh up 500k per season over the next 3 years with an increasing salary cap, I think it will honestly prove to be pretty good value.

Last edited:

Dazza 92

NRL Player
I did a post a while back using NRL stats (not that there's a lot available which is shameful..) and Offa is right up there for a few key metric for middle forwards. So from a statistical viewpoint he is definitely doing his job, the thing that started to show however was as the season went on Flegs and Carra started to close the gap as they were afforded more minutes after TPJ suspension...

So for me its pretty obvious that 1 of them will have to be moved on. The gap between the three is starting to narrow so no need for us to carry excess...

kooly87

QCup Player
I did a post a while back using NRL stats (not that there's a lot available which is shameful..) and Offa is right up there for a few key metric for middle forwards. So from a statistical viewpoint he is definitely doing his job, the thing that started to show however was as the season went on Flegs and Carra started to close the gap as they were afforded more minutes after TPJ suspension...

So for me its pretty obvious that 1 of them will have to be moved on. The gap between the three is starting to narrow so no need for us to carry excess...
Why do we need to move one of them on?

Middle Forwards are the most heavily used position in the side. Virtually all teams carry at least 4-5 middle Forwards at all times, and some teams even carry 6 depending on their personnel.

Lodge/ Haas / Ofahengaue/ Flegler / Carrigan gives us a perfect 5 and that's assuming we had zero injuries or suspensions, which is obviously impossible, so we need depth outside that too rather than looking to cut one of them.

If you consider TPJ a middle Forward, then perhaps we'd need to re-evaluate, but at this stage I think he's arguably a worse middle Forward than all 5 of those guys, but he's obviously quite a strong edge Forward.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter