NEWS Brisbane Broncos could lose David Fifita to mega deal

Further to that, Haas can play 80, or close to. Lodge comfortable plays 50-60. So we really only need another middle forward or two that can play 20-30 minutes a game. That's why you don't spend 500k there.

I thought we read a while ago that Fifita is flat out leaving Ipswich thanks to mum, let alone another city altogether? Not sure why we're getting worked up about it, if he's close with his family then I don't see him leaving this contract.

Further to that, Haas can play 80, or close to. Lodge comfortable plays 50-60. So we really only need another middle forward or two that can play 20-30 minutes a game. That's why you don't spend 500k there.
Haas realistically can't play 80 every week. Even if he could, it doesn't necessarily mean he should.

Lodge too seems to go better when he plays around 50 minutes as a ceiling.

You also point out that Flegler and Carrigan are better, which isn't even really true, but besides that, you're taking them on debut seasons and like a lot of young middle Forwards we may find they struggle to back it up in year two or on a consistent basis.

Joe may not have as many great games as those guys, but he also rarely has too many bad games. He's consistent and he's done his time at the club from reserve grade to State of Origin and was in my opinion fairly entitled to a new contract.

I think you're being way too harsh on him. He's done an excellent job for us off the Bench and seems to really excel in that role and when you weigh up 500k per season over the next 3 years with an increasing salary cap, I think it will honestly prove to be pretty good value.

Last edited:
I did a post a while back using NRL stats (not that there's a lot available which is shameful..) and Offa is right up there for a few key metric for middle forwards. So from a statistical viewpoint he is definitely doing his job, the thing that started to show however was as the season went on Flegs and Carra started to close the gap as they were afforded more minutes after TPJ suspension...

So for me its pretty obvious that 1 of them will have to be moved on. The gap between the three is starting to narrow so no need for us to carry excess...

I did a post a while back using NRL stats (not that there's a lot available which is shameful..) and Offa is right up there for a few key metric for middle forwards. So from a statistical viewpoint he is definitely doing his job, the thing that started to show however was as the season went on Flegs and Carra started to close the gap as they were afforded more minutes after TPJ suspension...

So for me its pretty obvious that 1 of them will have to be moved on. The gap between the three is starting to narrow so no need for us to carry excess...
Why do we need to move one of them on?

Middle Forwards are the most heavily used position in the side. Virtually all teams carry at least 4-5 middle Forwards at all times, and some teams even carry 6 depending on their personnel.

Lodge/ Haas / Ofahengaue/ Flegler / Carrigan gives us a perfect 5 and that's assuming we had zero injuries or suspensions, which is obviously impossible, so we need depth outside that too rather than looking to cut one of them.

If you consider TPJ a middle Forward, then perhaps we'd need to re-evaluate, but at this stage I think he's arguably a worse middle Forward than all 5 of those guys, but he's obviously quite a strong edge Forward.

Last edited:
Staff return to work next week I believe. Expect news then.

They should never have been allowed to go on leave until all our current players who we wanted to re-sign were finalised.
If we lose fafita because someone was on leave I will be extremely angry.

Fifita wont go anywhere. He will stay long term. Future captain.

Man, we're going to be knee-deep in captains in a few years. Fifita, Carrigan, Haas, Lodge will probably still be around, Staggs might even put his hand up. Half the team will be co-captains!

They should never have been allowed to go on leave until all our current players who we wanted to re-sign were finalised.
If we lose fafita because someone was on leave I will be extremely angry.

If the Broncs lose Fifita because someone was on leave, he was never going to stay in the first place.
[automerge]1571715653[/automerge]
Man, we're going to be knee-deep in captains in a few years. Fifita, Carrigan, Haas, Lodge will probably still be around, Staggs might even put his hand up. Half the team will be co-captains!

Do not underestimate the value of having leadership in the side, look who a leadership vacuum worked this year. When even your captain struggles at leadership, having a group of leaders would be a nice dream at this point.

Last edited:
Do not underestimate the value of having leadership in the side, look who a leadership vacuum worked this year. When even your captain struggles at leadership, having a group of leaders would be a nice dream at this point.

I know, mate, I just think it's funny that every other day there's another future captain being bandied about. Can't agree more that it's a good position to be in.

Haas realistically can't play 80 every week. Even if he could, it doesn't necessarily mean he should.

Lodge too seems to go better when he plays around 50 minutes as a ceiling.

You also point out that Flegler and Carrigan are better, which isn't even really true, but besides that, you're taking them on debut seasons and like a lot of young middle Forwards we may find they struggle to back it up in year two or on a consistent basis.

Joe may not have as many great games as those guys, but he also rarely has too many bad games. He's consistent and he's done his time at the club from reserve grade to State of Origin and was in my opinion fairly entitled to a new contract.

I think you're being way too harsh on him. He's done an excellent job for us off the Bench and seems to really excel in that role and when you weigh up 500k per season over the next 3 years with an increasing salary cap, I think it will honestly prove to be pretty good value.

Good post, but we have to remember Gillett and Glenn will still be on the books, so I include them when im counting the forward rotations; when all fit we do have excess first grade relevant middle forwards....

Why do we need to move one of them on?

Middle Forwards are the most heavily used position in the side. Virtually all teams carry at least 4-5 middle Forwards at all times, and some teams even carry 6 depending on their personnel.

Lodge/ Haas / Ofahengaue/ Flegler / Carrigan gives us a perfect 5 and that's assuming we had zero injuries or suspensions, which is obviously impossible, so we need depth outside that too rather than looking to cut one of them.

If you consider TPJ a middle Forward, then perhaps we'd need to re-evaluate, but at this stage I think he's arguably a worse middle Forward than all 5 of those guys, but he's obviously quite a strong edge Forward.

I'll rage if we don't run Fifi and TPJ as our 80 minute edge forwards next year. We could potentially have the strongest second row combo in the comp and one of the best centre pairings (Bird and Staggs). However, you just know someone like Gillett or Boyd will be forced into the starting side and ruin it.

Last edited:
I'd be ok if Boyd was forced to play 2nd row. It would be a worthwhile investment for all concerned parties. I think he would retire by Round 3.

I'll rage if we don't run Fifi and TPJ as our 80 minute edge forwards next year. We could potentially have the strongest second row combo in the comp and one of the best centre pairings (Bird and Staggs). However, you just know someone like Gillett or Boyd will be forced into the starting side and ruin it.

You realise that assuming he doesn’t retire, Gillo will always start. Unless he’s legit Boyd-ing it. He provides very little off the bench in his current playing style.

love to see how he’d go playing next to a decent halfback for a change

It is starting to annoy me how no signings have been made... We have lost Seggy, Fensom, Taga and some others. Still have Oates, Glenn and a couple others we expect to renew, and nothing has been done.

Probably because this stuff takes time.. There is a lot to do in contract negotiations.

You realise that assuming he doesn’t retire, Gillo will always start. Unless he’s legit Boyd-ing it. He provides very little off the bench in his current playing style.

love to see how he’d go playing next to a decent halfback for a change

He’s still not in our best starting pack regardless. Look at TPJ’s impact in the second row (virtually single handily winning us games on occasions) compared to Gillett’s last year. Chucking TPJ at lock to play less mins and have less of an impact for a guy who looks past it and is only getting older isn’t the direction the club should take.

I like Gillett, but I’m sure manly fans also like Watmough.

Have faith Broncos fans, I have been a fan since 88 and there is always growth and regrowth , so stick it out and see what happens. Too many what if's atm.

I'm not opposed to TPJ coming on after 25-30 minutes and playing the rest of the game. Start With Glenn and then get Glenn to come off, or even move in to lock. I actually think Glenn could be good at lock. Solid guy, good leg speed, solid in defence and is pretty vocal on the field.

Unread

Active Now

• Volvo Driver
  • Wolfie
  • Scorchie
  • Battler
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Justwin
  • Brotherdu
  • Strop
  • Midean
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • porouian
  • Organix
  • simplythebest
  • broncsgoat
  • Mustafur
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mighty Bronx
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 36 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.