Brisbane Broncos vs Illawarra National Panasonic Cup Final 1989

Damn, they really hated us back then. I mean the hate is there now but god damn.

Also love Wally saluting the crowd after.

Damn, they really hated us back then. I mean the hate is there now but god damn.

Also love Wally saluting the crowd after.

They sure did, Wally copped the worst of it, hell he even copped it down there captaining for Australia. The Broncos were booed all night, the crowd chanted wally's a wanker all night long, they threw stuff at Terry Matterson when he was attempting conversions. The Crowd booed them when accepting the Trophy and that was enough for Wally saying "Winners can Smile" when presented the Trophy. Despite the Broncos winning and Terry Matterson getting the player of the series award from Panasonic. The selectors from within the NSWRL ranks gave the man of the match award to Andy Gregory.

To be fair Ken Arthurson apparently went into the dressing room to apologise for the crowds behaviour. The Broncos returned to red hill to celebrate and when the players got on stage and Wally said "And to all of those people who booed us down there all night long they can kiss our" (they all turned around including Bennett and pointed to their ass). The media got into a frenzy and down south there were calls for the Broncos to be kicked out of the competition, which was becoming a regular fashion.

They were always going to hate a Brisbane side but having Wally in it just increased it 10 fold.

Last edited:
Our crowds have a hard enough time getting into a match as it is these days, takes a lot for a very vocal one.

maybe its just rose coloured glasses coming with age, but after watching that game again, I remember why I fell in love with the game. You always felt it was David versus Goliath, the Broncos against a competition that was happy to see them fail. The fact that the crowd booed the Broncos, I think fed into that parochial almost combative (sometimes truly combative) attitude of being a Broncos supporter. You always felt they were out to get your heroes, but the likes of Wally and Alf would find ways of showing them up. As a kid watching that, you didn't need to read comics or watch marvel movies because there were these huge personalities that seemed to embody everything you wanted to be.
Of course, now I looked at the game from a different perspective, but I struggle to see the next wally, or alf, or even kevvie walters (although sam thaiday runs a good race). We live in the era of professional sportsmen, where everyone knows everyone, and your opposition today will be your teammate tomorrow. The players are trained the same way, play the same way, and even answer media questions like they were born from carbon copy paper (another relic of the past).
That's not to say the game hasn't improved. It has. It's just that there's a sense the game has gotten so big, so wealthy, that the humanity of the common man has gotten lost.

They sure did, Wally copped the worst of it, hell he even copped it down there captaining for Australia. The Broncos were booed all night, the crowd chanted wally's a wanker all night long, they threw stuff at Terry Matterson when he was attempting conversions. The Crowd booed them when accepting the Trophy and that was enough for Wally saying "Winners can Smile" when presented the Trophy. Despite the Broncos winning and Terry Matterson getting the player of the series award from Panasonic. The selectors from within the NSWRL ranks gave the man of the match award to Andy Gregory.

To be fair Ken Arthurson apparently went into the dressing room to apologise for the crowds behaviour. The Broncos returned to red hill to celebrate and when the players got on stage and Wally said "And to all of those people who booed us down there all night long they can kiss our" (they all turned around including Bennett and pointed to their ass). The media got into a frenzy and down south there were calls for the Broncos to be kicked out of the competition, which was becoming a regular fashion.

They were always going to hate a Brisbane side but having Wally in it just increased it 10 fold.

HAHAH I love that story. It's so much more fun when they really hate us down there.

On this day 30 years ago back in 1989 the Brisbane Broncos won their first title the Panansonic Cup.

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/201...EKHsXjg_247k3s-d4f6NVWr7S_vDQFfQ7JYk-rDPoCEgE
[automerge]1559881880[/automerge]

TEAMS
Brisbane : 1. Shane Duffy, 2. Michael Hancock, 3. Tony Currie, 4. Peter Jackson, 5. Joe Kilroy, 6. Wally Lewis (c), 7. Allan Langer, 13. Terry Matterson, 12. Gene Miles, 11. Brett Le Man, 10. Sam Backo, 9. Kerrod Walters, 8. Greg Dowling. Reserve: James Donnelly.
Coach: Wayne Bennett.
Illawarra : 1. Steve Hampson, 2. Rod Wishart, 3. Brett Rodwell, 4. Jeff Hardy, 5. Jason Moon, 6. Tony Smith, 7. Andy Gregory, 13. Ian Russell, 12. Les Morrisey, 11. Dean Hanson, 10. Michael Carberry, 9. Dean Schifilliti, 8. Chris Walsh (c). Reserves: Cavill Heugh, Craig Keen, Michael Bolt, Trevor Kissell.
Coach: Ron Hilditch
MATCH RESULT: Brisbane Broncos 22 (Peter Jackson, Joe Kilroy, Sam Backo, Gene Miles tries; Terry Matterson 3 goals) defeated Illawarra 20 (Steve Hampson, Rod Wishart, Brett Rodwell tries; Rod Wishart 4 goals).
Crowd: 16,968

Last edited:
Was celebrated at the Broncos Old Boys event today. Was a decent event at Gambaro’s.

Seibold attended and was well received.

Was celebrated at the Broncos Old Boys event today. Was a decent event at Gambaro’s.

Seibold attended and was well received.

Highlight for me was Siobhan Jackson being there.

Bernie Power spoke well too. Nice to see all the staff like Cullen, Springer Kenny, Elder that made the win possible.

Last edited:
Highlight for me was Siobhan Jackson being there.

Bernie Power spoke well too. Nice to see all the staff like Cullen, Springer Kenny, Elder that made the win possible.

Definitely. Bennett’s video on Jackson, Souths gear aside, was pretty great too.

Do you know why none of the current playing group were there this year? There was a full table of them last year?

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Waynesaurus
  • BruiserMk1
  • BroncsNBundy
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Xarr
  • Ffs...
  • phoenix
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BRC088
  • johnny plath
  • Allo
  • Confidor
  • Yellowfella
  • NSW stables
  • Strop
  • jd87
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mr Fourex
  • kwomo
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.