Badel Warning Brisbane fighting Warriors for David Fifita

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast

Brisbane facing huge battle to fend off Warriors’ interest in David Fifita

Peter Badel and Chris Honnery,
The Courier-Mail
an hour ago

The Broncos are facing the salary cap fight of their lives to retain David Fifita, with the Warriors joining the Eels in a big-money bid to poach the Queensland Origin sensation.Having failed to secure Brisbane teammates Matt Lodge and Jake Turpin, the Warriors are cashed-up and ready to outbid the Broncos for Fifita, one of the club’s hottest back-row prospects of the past 20 years. It is understood the Warriors and Parramatta are prepared to pay between $700,000 to $1 million a season for the rampaging 19-year-old — offers the Broncos currently cannot match under the salary cap.

Brisbane can’t afford to lose a player of Fifita‘s potential. Photo: AAP Image/Michael Chambers

Brisbane can’t afford to lose a player of Fifita‘s potential. Photo: AAP Image/Michael Chambers

It means Fifita will have to accept less to stay at Red Hill, or the Broncos will have to clear cap space to fund a bidding war, possibly by squeezing out veteran back-rower Alex Glenn and negotiating a severance package with struggling skipper Darius Boyd.

Fifita is off-contract at the end of next year, meaning he can begin formal talks with NRL rivals from November 1. The Broncos will look to begin extension talks with the 107kg wrecking ball at the end of this month, giving them an eight-week headstart before the Warriors and Eels attempt to blow Brisbane out of the water. Melbourne champion Cameron Smith last week warned Brisbane face having their roster ripped apart and former Queensland lock Billy Moore said the prospect of losing Fifita would be a savage blow to their title ambitions.

The teenager should be the future of Red Hill. Photo: AAP Image/Jono Searle

The teenager should be the future of Red Hill. Photo: AAP Image/Jono Searle

“It’s absolutely essential they keep David,” Moore said. "If you look at the journey they are on, the Broncos have mortgaged their house on these young stars in the forwards. “They have kept Lodge, (Payne) Haas and Tevita Pangai Jr, so if Fifita quits, it would be a disaster. “It really hurt them when they lost Josh McGuire (to the Cowboys) and now they can’t afford to lose Fifita. “He has played Origin this season and he is just about to bear fruit, so it would be a shame if another club pinched Fifita and bore the fruits of what the Broncos have developed.”

Fifita has already proved himself in Origin. Photo: Adam Head

Fifita has already proved himself in Origin. Photo: Adam Head

Fifita, who plays his 31st NRL game on Friday night against Penrith, is on course to be one of the stars of the code. In the space of 12 months, the hard-running back-row brute went from playing under-18s Mal Meninga Cup to a Queensland Origin senior debut in June. Brisbane legend Darren Lockyer, a member of the club’s recruitment-and-retention committee, admits the Broncos must fight hard to keep Fifita.

It would be hard to turn down that kind of offer though. Photo: AAP Image/Darren England

It would be hard to turn down that kind of offer though. Photo: AAP Image/Darren England

“That’s the thing with the salary cap, you can’t keep them all,” he said. “David Fifita came through our system and we want to keep him here long-term.” Moore believes Brisbane will struggle to win a bidding war. “If the Warriors are prepared to pay $1 million a season, then Brisbane is in real trouble,” he said. “They simply couldn’t compete with an offer like that and Fifita would have to go. “Fifita is a future international. I see him being a 10-year Origin player and I hope it’s at the Broncos and not elsewhere, because Brisbane have put in the hard yards.”

Last edited:

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Warriors are the new GC going after all our players.......if there's any truth to this story. Something tells me it's just made up crap to tie in with the other media bombshell that Warriors didn't even want any of the players of ours they already went after. Fifita was the plan all along.:rofl

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
Warriors are the new GC going after all our players.......if there's any truth to this story. Something tells me it's just made up crap to tie in with the other media bombshell that Warriors didn't even want any of the players of ours they already went after. Fifita was the plan all along.:rofl
Everyone should be after Fifita.

JAHHW

NRL Player
Everyone knew he was good by his staggering trajectory since debuting. But what has really impressed me lately is how he stands in tackles, sometimes with 2 or 3 defenders, and keeps seasoned NRL players, blokes 10 years older than him, at bay with one arm like he’s still playing U18’s.

I was impressed last year, but he’s getting better as this season goes on.

A totally different player to Haas, but equally as scary and freakish.

The Strapper

QCup Player
We need to sign Fifita before he goes on the open market on Nov 1.
Even if its just a short term deal until McCullough and Boyd go when he can then get full freight.
Just get him for 1yr with a further 1yr option in his favour of something like that.
If he is not tied up before Nov 1 I think we will lose him.

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
We need to sign Fifita before he goes on the open market on Nov 1.
Even if its just a short term deal until McCullough and Boyd go when he can then get full freight.
Just get him for 1yr with a further 1yr option in his favour of something like that.
If he is not tied up before Nov 1 I think we will lose him.
We need to sign him for three years and backload the last one.

The Strapper

QCup Player
We need to sign him for three years and backload the last one.
Yeah that would be ok but I can't see him taking unders for 2 yrs and then full money just for 1 year. The warriors will say we will give you full money for the whole 3 years.
Otherwise we could say just wait until part way into next season and then we try and move some players on (aka boyd). If we can do that we'll have a lot more room to maneuver but I think he'll want to do something before then.

Gaz

NRL Player
Typical Courier-Mail and Badel trying to get a winning back page. Of course the Warriors are after him as well as every other club. Last week it was Parramatta and the fortnight before the Storm. Bronco bashing in another form - they can’t help themselves.

Caniffe

NRL Player
Fifita will surely stay; gets along great with the team and if they need cash they’ll just let Bird go when his contract is done!

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
Didn't Hodgo retire with a year remaining on his contract to help us keep the likes of Glenn & Kahu after the 2015 GF?

Now that's a real Broncos captain, someone who knows they're past their best, and their body is failing them, making the ultimate sacrifice. If Boyd retired this off-season, I'd nearly forgive him for the last 24 months of hell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter