Brisbane turned Brodie Croft away before Melbourne signed him for free

March 14, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Nobody expected Hunt to leave

Norman was average for us at best most of the time

Taylor again nobody saw Hunt leaving

Ponga well did we really miss out? No way we match the Knights offer and he obviously went for money. All that happened here is the Cowboys developed him for the Knights and not us.

Croft meh even Croft himself admits he was nothing special. What we are meant to hold on to even the average players now just in case.

I hope we fire soon so we can stop hearing all this crap.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Nobody expected Hunt to leave

Norman was average for us at best most of the time

Taylor again nobody saw Hunt leaving

Ponga well did we really miss out? No way we match the Knights offer and he obviously went for money. All that happened here is the Cowboys developed him for the Knights and not us.

Croft meh even Croft himself admits he was nothing special. What we are meant to hold on to even the average players now just in case.

I hope we fire soon so we can stop hearing all this crap.

It's the fact that we couldn't see the potential in him, but Storm could. Even Cronk could. Whether you like to admit it or not, we screwed up there. The scouts are supposed to be able to spot these things. We also did the same with a few other players such as Smith, Munster etc.

Maybe if we kept Ponga, he would have stayed with us. He wanted to be in first grade, Cowboys couldn't offer that.

Norman was quite good for us in the halves. He didn't start stinking it up until we signed Prince after saying Norman will be our 5/8 after Locky.

We wouldn't be in the situation we're in now where we don't have a genuine halfback if the scouts were better at their job..

We wouldn't be in the situation we're in now where we don't have a genuine halfback if the scouts were better at their job..

Agree...that's the bottom line

Scouts are supposed to have the foresight to see the potential in young players. It would appear as though our scouts have been getting around to games with their heads up their arse.

This story doesn’t mean much to me, but I think there is a real issue with our scouts or at least with our ability to develop players.

The last gun we developed through our system was Oates, 5 years ago. Kahu debuted the same year, and as much as I love him as a player, let’s be honest, talent wise he is fairly replaceable.

We had Parcell (who doesn’t even really count as a player the broncos developed) and Taylor. Sure there are circumstances around both those players for why they left but other than them we really don’t have much to show. Considering that in the years before them we established Yow Yeh, Gagai, Moose, Macca, Gillett, Norman, Hunt, and even Hoffman (great winger for a period there), our production seems to have really slowed down.

Haas and Fifita may change my tune in a few years but we’ll see. I’m not convinced Offa is a star forward just yet either. Allen is another player who has he heap of hype but apparently his attitude stinks and he is looking like leaving.

Someone is doing a poor job compared to whatever it was that worked so well for us uncovering the last generation of players.

That’s the problem though all the young players want to play first grade they want their chance and we don’t give them that. What’s wrong with just having a potentially great young half on the bench for a few games, I mean come on we are using pointless backs on ours.

That Churchie side was a great school boy side- back to back with Ponga, Croft and TPJ.

Who are our current scouts? Do we have one that we look up to who is good, or are they all just people who are nothings in league, and clearly nothing when it comes to finding talent for the team they're employed by?

If only we could run out with all these blokes every week. I think that's what the media and some of our fans expect. Let me know if I've left out anyone that we missed through our system, let go of or just couldn't get across the line with. What's a salary cap?

1 Josh Dugan, Billy Slater, Kalyn Ponga, Karmichael Hunt, Ben Barba
2 Antonio Winterstein, Josh Hoffman, Nathan Ross
3 Ricky Leutele, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau
4 Dane Gagai, Will Chambers, Tautau Moga
5 Dale Copley, Nick Cotric, Jordan Rapana
6 Gareth Widdop, Luke Keary, Cody Walker, Cameron Munster, Billy Walters, Corey Norman, Quade Cooper
7 Ben Hunt, Cooper Cronk, Jonathan Thurston, Ashley Taylor, Peter Wallace, Brodie Croft, Daly Cherry-Evans,
8 Dylan Napa, James Gavet, Sam Burgess, Russell Packer, Daniel Alvaro
9 Jake Granville, Isaac Luke, Cameron Smith, Brandon Smith, Matt Parcell
10 Matt Scott, Adam Blair, Jarrod Wallace, Sam Kasiano, Dunamis Lui, Herman Esese
11 Tariq Sims, Josh Papalii
12 Ethan Lowe, Aidan Guerra
13 Greg Eastwood, Jai Arrow, Trent Merrin

If only we could run out with all these blokes every week. I think that's what the media and some of our fans expect. Let me know if I've left out anyone that we missed through our system, let go of or just couldn't get across the line with. What's a salary cap?

1 Josh Dugan, Billy Slater, Kalyn Ponga, Karmichael Hunt, Ben Barba
2 Antonio Winterstein, Josh Hoffman, Nathan Ross
3 Ricky Leutele, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau
4 Dane Gagai, Will Chambers, Tautau Moga
5 Dale Copley, Nick Cotric, Jordan Rapana
6 Gareth Widdop, Luke Keary, Cody Walker, Cameron Munster, Billy Walters, Corey Norman, Quade Cooper
7 Ben Hunt, Cooper Cronk, Jonathan Thurston, Ashley Taylor, Peter Wallace, Brodie Croft, Daly Cherry-Evans,
8 Dylan Napa, James Gavet, Sam Burgess, Russell Packer, Daniel Alvaro
9 Jake Granville, Isaac Luke, Cameron Smith, Brandon Smith, Matt Parcell
10 Matt Scott, Adam Blair, Jarrod Wallace, Sam Kasiano, Dunamis Lui, Herman Esese
11 Tariq Sims, Josh Papalii
12 Ethan Lowe, Aidan Guerra
13 Greg Eastwood, Jai Arrow, Trent Merrin

I think that's what you want them to expect to advance some odd argument.

The issue isn't that we don't have all of them, the issue is the amount of talent that left / was overlooked by our system. Compare your list to our actual team, pay special attention to the halves, and that's the issue most people have. We have damned good players not playing for us, while we have barely hanging on players playing for us.

I think that's what you want them to expect to advance some odd argument.

The issue isn't that we don't have all of them, the issue is the amount of talent that left / was overlooked by our system. Compare your list to our actual team, pay special attention to the halves, and that's the issue most people have. We have damned good players not playing for us, while we have barely hanging on players playing for us.
The issue is that every time someone does something good we get an article saying how we missed out on them, but every time we sign someone we get an article saying how we have every advantage under the sun.

I don't think it's possible to hoard all of those talented young players when the Titans and other teams are willing to throw millions at them. And we all know the story of how the Storm somehow kept the big three and half of the NRL wanted to play with them. They're still reaping the benefits of cheating the cap to this day.

It's not the 90s anymore and we can't sign every good player from Central Queensland to the Gold Coast. There's a salary cap and other teams scouting the areas. Our squad isn't bad overall but it's impossible to have superstars in every position. I obviously wish we could though.

This will make some people happy but it's Bennetts fault. He shouldn't have left us with Henjak and Hook who brought in such mediocre players for all those years.

What were we supposed to do? Keep some blokes at the club even though we had other young guys showing more talent at the time? We are the club that finds these players, has them in our system and then the vultures swoop in. We are one of the richest clubs but because the NRL force us down to the level of every other club we can't compete at a level we should be able to.the salary cap is a joke

Just out of curiosity, which players were actually hyped up around here as youngsters that we missed out on? Because it's bloody easy to sit here now and say that these guys turned out alright after 6 NRL games or whatever.

Kalyn Ponga- Signed elsewhere for millions
Cameron Munster- apparently was a ****. Apparently still is a ****
Corey Norman- see above
Ash Taylor- we all know about this
Brodie Croft- I do remember something being said but I'm fairly sure he was already at the Storm

The issue is that every time someone does something good we get an article saying how we missed out on them, but every time we sign someone we get an article saying how we have every advantage under the sun.

I don't think it's possible to hoard all of those talented young players when the Titans and other teams are willing to throw millions at them. And we all know the story of how the Storm somehow kept the big three and half of the NRL wanted to play with them. They're still reaping the benefits of cheating the cap to this day.

It's not the 90s anymore and we can't sign every good player from Central Queensland to the Gold Coast. There's a salary cap and other teams scouting the areas. Our squad isn't bad overall but it's impossible to have superstars in every position. I obviously wish we could though.

This will make some people happy but it's Bennetts fault. He shouldn't have left us with Henjak and Hook who brought in such mediocre players for all those years.

What were we supposed to do? Keep some blokes at the club even though we had other young guys showing more talent at the time? We are the club that finds these players, has them in our system and then the vultures swoop in. We are one of the richest clubs but because the NRL force us down to the level of every other club we can't compete at a level we should be able to.the salary cap is a joke

Two or three of them wouldn’t be too much though would it? If Broncos see potential in Keary at Ipswich and Munster at Capras it changes the team completely now.

Cap doesn’t come into it when you’re playing for the Capras and on nothing and would sign for nothing or school boy playing in Ipswich. That’s where they’re missing them- you're looking at the wrong end.

You're always going to have your misses, every club does but I do believe when one guy looks at Munster and says no good and one guys says we will take him for $5000 and that type of story is repeated several times over you have to review.

Two or three of them wouldn’t be too much though would it? If Broncos see potential in Keary at Ipswich and Munster at Capras it changes the team completely now.

Cap doesn’t come into it when you’re playing for the Capras and on nothing and would sign for nothing or school boy playing in Ipswich. That’s where they’re missing them- you're looking at the wrong end.

You're always going to have your misses, every club does but I do believe when one guy looks at Munster and says no good and one guys says we will take him for $5000 and that type of story is repeated several times over you have to review.
I have been told people looked at Munster and said other things, but Keary I agree with. Should have been all over him

How could a talent scout not see that Munster was a gun. That's just incompetence.

Active Now

• Adammacca
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Brocko
  • Ras
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Bish
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Browny
  • Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • Gympie devil
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • Tim K
  • The Don
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.