NEWS Bronco Taupau targets new deal ahead of milestone game

BHQArticleImageLarge98

Brisbane prop Martin Taupau is without a deal for 2025, but ahead of his 250th match has no intention of retiring at season's end.

The 34-year-old wants to remain at the Broncos, where he has played since 2023, but AAP has been told the club is yet to open negotiations for an extension.

Taupau has played just seven games for the Broncos this year, but has been strong in the last month since returning against the Warriors in round 17 following a nine-week absence.

He will come off the bench against former club Canterbury at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Taupau answered "one hundred per cent" twice when asked if he wanted to continue playing next year, and at Brisbane.

"I've invested a lot of time and money into keeping my body in good nick," he said.

"People say I've wound back the clock, but the clock hasn't stopped ticking.

"The only thing I can control is playing great football and things will work out."

Taupau played 20 games last year but was not included in the squad that played in the grand final. He proved a lot of people wrong when he left Manly at the end of 2022.

"Coming here to the Broncos was definitely a risky move," Taupau said.

"But without risks there are no rewards and this has been one of the biggest rewards, playing my 250th game here at such an amazing club. The foundation and history of this club is enormous.

"It is a pretty huge milestone for myself and especially my family, given the last couple of months.

"It's been pretty tough in terms of not being able to play and a few things in the background."

Taupau ran for 161m and made 23 tackles, without missing one, in 44 minutes of power against the Warriors.

"Prior to that it was pretty hard," he said. "I had to turn up and train really hard and be patient and wait for the opportunity to come.

"With the Warriors being my first game back in a while, I felt like I didn't miss a beat.

"The Broncos brought me here to lead from the front and do my job."

Brisbane must win five of their last six matches to play finals. They welcomed back captain Adam Reynolds last week in a 30-14 win over Newcastle, and all of the side's Origin players have returned for the Bulldogs clash.

"It's great to have the band back together," Taupau said.

"They're a bit battered and bruised, but there were enormous efforts from our Origin players to back up.

"We all did our part and came away with a win.

"(Coach) Cameron Ciraldo has done really well with the Bulldogs. He's created a really resilient squad. They never turn away.

"I believe we've got some great talent in our squad to tear sides apart and create opportunities. It's going to be a great spectacle."

Canberra Times

The question was not in relation to Marty, per se. It was a general question. But I can see how you interpreted it. I did, at the time, think it would have been funny if Marty had played for like every NRL club at one stage. Four is actually quite a lot.

Ahhhhhhh! Haha, you left me absolutely scratching my head.

Can he play 2nd row? That has to be a priority next season to address, I feel we will need every spare dollar to enter the market for one too...

Wise old head. Really hard trainer from what I hear. A monster in the gym with great work ethic.
That’s the kind of bloke you want to have around your young blokes coming through. Sign him on minimum.
We need him, when we have shit c**ts like Baker on our roster.

Did I mention, FIRE BAKER INTO THE SUN?!
Goooooooonnneee

Ennis and Mason are also noteworthy but Blake Greens calendar gets pretty busy towards the end of the season with reunions.

Dr Taumata would have to be the player that has been at the most clubs in one career, only he got sacked from half of them before pulling on the jersey

I don’t know if we’ve got the spots available to keep him. He’s playing well enough but he is 35. Very few 35 year old props still running around.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • bb_gun
  • Behind enemy lines
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Xzei
  • Strop
  • Stix
  • Gaz
  • Scorchie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Redfern_1980
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BruiserMk1
  • Browny
  • broncos4life
  • Spoon
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.