Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
There is some similar threads to this, but none completely on topic, I'd like to hear some opinions on what our squad should look like for 2015, who we should re-sign, who we should let walk, where we should play people, etc.

Off-Contract for 2015:

Dale Copley
Jake Granville
David Hala
Ben Hannant
Justin Hodges
Stewart Mills
Corey Parker

Unknown Contracts:

Ajuma Adams
Cameron Cullen
Mitchell Dodds
Jordan Drew
Jon Green
Lachlan Maranta
Francis Molo
Kodi Nikorima
Joe Ofahengaue
Duncan Paia'aua
Jarrod Wallace

I've coloured the players I'd put priority on re-signing, the rest can be let go, in my honest opinion. This is subject to change however, Maranta, Drew, Mills, Cullen all still have a chance to impress this year.

Predicted Gains & Losses for 2015 -

Gains ~ Anthony Milford, Cameron Smith
Losses ~ Ben Hannant, Josh Hoffman, Jake Granville, Stewart Mills, Lachlan Maranta

Predicted 2015 Line-up -

1. Anthony Milford
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Dale Copley
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jordan Kahu
6. Ben Barba
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Martin Kennedy
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker (vc)

14. Andrew McCullough
15. Sam Thaiday
16. Todd Lowrie
17. David Hala

This line-up is also extremely subject to change, I've omitted Jack Reed based on what I saw last night, he has seemingly decreased in skill since his rookie year. McCullough coming off the bench isn't ideal, but if we land Cameron Smith (a 2 year deal would be perfect, to give Smith plenty of time to teach him the ways, yet keeping McCullough on board for after Smith retires). I've got Milford at Fullback instead of Barba as I think Milford is more raw at this stage, and would benefit much more from the free reign, whereas Barba showed last night that he's got organisational skills and a very good football brain. Either Glenn or Gillett could also be replaced by Thaiday on the bench, depending on form this year.

Optionally, if we don't land Cameron Smith, start McCullough at Hooker & bring Corey Oates on to the bench, would also probably replace Lowrie with Molo for added impact off the bench.

tl;dr - What team would you have for 2015, and who would you prioritize to re-sign at this stage.

I suppose I should also mention that Ben Hunt at Halfback is far from a done deal as well, Kodi Nikorima, Cameron Cullen & Ashley Taylor could all get first shot, depending on how Ben plays for the rest of this season (If he lasts that long)

No way they'd play milford at fb over barba, I'm pretty sure they have bought him in to play 5/8

No way they'd play milford at fb over barba, I'm pretty sure they have bought him in to play 5/8

I strongly disagree, Milford may have more upside in terms of ball handling and kicking, but at this stage he's far better suited to fullback, and Barba showed on Friday night that him at Five-Eighth is an option.

There is some similar threads to this, but none completely on topic, I'd like to hear some opinions on what our squad should look like for 2015, who we should re-sign, who we should let walk, where we should play people, etc.

Off-Contract for 2015:

Dale Copley
Jake Granville
David Hala
Ben Hannant
Justin Hodges
Stewart Mills
Corey Parker

Unknown Contracts:

Ajuma Adams
Cameron Cullen
Mitchell Dodds
Jordan Drew
Jon Green
Lachlan Maranta
Francis Molo
Kodi Nikorima
Joe Ofahengaue
Duncan Paia'aua
Jarrod Wallace

I've coloured the players I'd put priority on re-signing, the rest can be let go, in my honest opinion. This is subject to change however, Maranta, Drew, Mills, Cullen all still have a chance to impress this year.

Predicted Gains & Losses for 2015 -

Gains ~ Anthony Milford, Cameron Smith
Losses ~ Ben Hannant, Josh Hoffman, Jake Granville, Stewart Mills, Lachlan Maranta

Predicted 2015 Line-up -

1. Anthony Milford
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Dale Copley
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jordan Kahu
6. Ben Barba
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Martin Kennedy
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker (vc)

14. Andrew McCullough
15. Sam Thaiday
16. Todd Lowrie
17. David Hala

This line-up is also extremely subject to change, I've omitted Jack Reed based on what I saw last night, he has seemingly decreased in skill since his rookie year. McCullough coming off the bench isn't ideal, but if we land Cameron Smith (a 2 year deal would be perfect, to give Smith plenty of time to teach him the ways, yet keeping McCullough on board for after Smith retires). I've got Milford at Fullback instead of Barba as I think Milford is more raw at this stage, and would benefit much more from the free reign, whereas Barba showed last night that he's got organisational skills and a very good football brain. Either Glenn or Gillett could also be replaced by Thaiday on the bench, depending on form this year.

Optionally, if we don't land Cameron Smith, start McCullough at Hooker & bring Corey Oates on to the bench, would also probably replace Lowrie with Molo for added impact off the bench.

tl;dr - What team would you have for 2015, and who would you prioritize to re-sign at this stage.

What makes you think we will get smith?

I can't understand not re-signing Drew when he has looked fantastic in limited opportunities and letting guys like him go will just lead back to rubbish depth in the backs

So your leaving reed out based on the other nights performance but not putting maranta in on the same basis?

There is so much to happen between now and 2015. Given we've only played 1 round it is ridiculous to predict what our team will look like next year. If this had of been done last year would anyone have predicted that we would have Ben Barba or Martin Kennedy or we would have lost Wallace and Prince (even Norman).

If we were going to put Milford at fullback next season I think we would have put Barba in the 6 this year. It will be very interesting to see what happens with the team. I think we will keep Hannant but it'll be on a reduced contract.

I would also let Hala go and I suspect we could start with one of our younger halves in place of Hunt next year

Last edited:
You'd think this is the final year for McCullough and Hunt to prove themselves. McCullough to work hard on his service (both speed and accuracy) and decision making (which does seem to be improving over most of last year), and for Hunt to just show he is, well, above average and worth keeping.

I have nothing but respect for justin hodges, but we must start to plan for his departure. Another strike centre to partner Copley should be on the shopping list. Having said that, I can't wait to see JH back in the current side with some genuine speed outside him.

I have nothing but respect for justin hodges, but we must start to plan for his departure. Another strike centre to partner Copley should be on the shopping list. Having said that, I can't wait to see JH back in the current side with some genuine speed outside him.

Like Tautau Moga, he is off contract this year.

I don't understand the clean out of second teir contracted guys that are playing ISC and not taking up top 25 cap space, you need them and you're just going to have to replace them anyway.

I don't understand the clean out of second teir contracted guys that are playing ISC and not taking up top 25 cap space, you need them and you're just going to have to replace them anyway.

I guess you didn't really read it, that's fair enough, I said I'd put priority on re-signing those names highlighted, the other names on the list still have a whole season to impress.

If we were going to put Milford at fullback next season I think we would have put Barba in the 6 this year. It will be very interesting to see what happens with the team. I think we will keep Hannant but it'll be on a reduced contract.

Yeah that's kinda what I was getting at, if we play Barba at Fullback for all of this season and then move him to Five-Eighth next year, that would be completely unproductive, if we plan on doing it, he should have a full season at Five-Eighth.

What makes you think we will get smith?

I can't understand not re-signing Drew when he has looked fantastic in limited opportunities and letting guys like him go will just lead back to rubbish depth in the backs

So your leaving reed out based on the other nights performance but not putting maranta in on the same basis?

Smith - Gut feeling

Drew - He's played 1 first grade game and looked average, was also extremely average in the nines, however he's still got this whole season to impress in u20's.

Reed - Not just based on the other night, based on the last couple of years, he hasn't improved, he's regressed.

Maranta - Played great the other night, if he plays like that for the whole season he'll be first on my priority re-signing list.

Last edited:
I guess you didn't really read it, that's fair enough, I said I'd put priority on re-signing those names highlighted, the other names on the list still have a whole season to impress.

I guess you didn't really read what you wrote, that's fair enough.

The rest can be let go.

But you're right- let go can sometimes mean stay.

What's your team for 2015 [MENTION=8272]1910[/MENTION]?

Is Yow Yeh still on a pretty good contract? I hate to say it, but it might be time to let him go. He was on about $250-300k before his injury wasn't he?

Active Now

• Browny
  • mitch222
  • BroncosAlways
  • Morkel
  • theshed
  • Manofoneway
  • Horseheadsup
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • Fitzy
  • MrMoore
  • Alec
  • Mister Wright
  • kiwibronco
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • Spooky1013
  • Dash
  • Bongo
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.