NEWS Broncos back PNG for 18th team

Of course they would... we used to have an affiliation with them.

But I'm assuming they would back any bid that they're asked about... it's the Sydney clubs and any possible impact to their grants that might be kicking up a stink.

The only options should be Adelaide, Perth, NZ2 and Central Coast. 2 Sydney teams should be forced to move and I would genuinely make it the two with the lowest members/crowd numbers and tv viewers.

Not a single person wants to travel to PNG to play footy every 2nd week. We should be funneling those players into our already established clubs. They're just going to base themselves in Australia, the NRL will call it expansion and it's just going to be another East Coast club.

You certainly can't base the team in PNG and Cairns is a bit of a waste with the Cows and Townsville representing NQ so the team will likely end up being based in Brisbane anyway. I dno how you would even play games in PNG unless you had an agreement with the government to FIFO with an armed security esort to and from the stadium. Port Morseby is close to Mogadishu levels of dangerous.

The only options should be Adelaide, Perth, NZ2 and Central Coast. 2 Sydney teams should be forced to move and I would genuinely make it the two with the lowest members/crowd numbers and tv viewers.

Not a single person wants to travel to PNG to play footy every 2nd week. We should be funneling those players into our already established clubs. They're just going to base themselves in Australia, the NRL will call it expansion and it's just going to be another East Coast club.
I feel like PNG already has their own team... their national team.

Give that team more exposure and more games against Aus, NZ, Eng, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, etc.

I just don't see how a PNG based team can compete in the NRL. I can't see players relocating to PNG and I don't think a team comprising mostly PNG/Pasifika players will have the quality to compete in the NRL.

Is it also suggesting that it would be restrictive in who they recruit?

Is a team that's meant to comprise mostly PNG / Pasifika players not meant to go after the Munster, Ponga, Cleary, Turbo, etc. of the league because it's outside some criteria they're want to operate under.

It would be like the warriors only comprising Kiwis... it should be up to the club on who they want to recruit rather than the admin putting a restraint on them.

It just seems like a pipe dream that Vlando is throwing out as a marketting exercise ... is there even a PNG bid that is proposing to go down that line of thinking or is Vlando throwing it out there for someone to form one?

Give that team more exposure and more games against Aus, NZ, Eng, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, etc.

I just don't see how a PNG based team can compete in the NRL. I can't see players relocating to PNG and I don't think a team comprising mostly PNG/Pasifika players will have the quality to compete in the NRL.

Is a team that's meant to comprise mostly PNG / Pasifika players not meant to go after the Munster, Ponga, Cleary, Turbo, etc. of the league because it's outside some criteria they're want to operate under.

It would be like the warriors only comprising Kiwis... it should be up to the club on who they want to recruit rather than the admin putting a restraint on them.

It just seems like a pipe dream that Vlando is throwing out as a marketting exercise ... is there even a PNG bid that is proposing to go down that line of thinking or is Vlando throwing it out there for someone to form one?
I think there would also be a political aspect to a png or pacific based club. If so, the NRL would be looking to get some federal funding as well.

The PNG/Pasifika bid has a tonne of Aus Government money behind it, as some ploy to counter Chinese influence in the pacific, unless there is a guaranteed long term deal to keep the financial backing beyond change of governments it's way too risky for the NRL to pursue.

Perth haven't even put a bid in yet and either has a second NZ team where the 2 best options for expansion are, I don't know how much longer the bidding process is before a decision gets made though.

On pure footballing face value, this idea for a PNG / Pacifica ‘wanderers’ team based in Timbuktu & seemingly wherever the wind blows them is THE dumbest, most destined-to-fail idea that has ever leached out of the NRL.. it’s Hans Christian V’Landys fantasy island fable ridiculousness

No one would relocate to PNG, the deal from day 1 is to base it in Cairns.

No one would relocate to PNG, the deal from day 1 is to base it in Cairns.
So what's the point if they're not even based there?

Are they going to travel most weeks either to an away venue or back to PNG and play in Port Morseby... or is it going to be PNG by name only and effectively a Cairns team.

They can't even stick to it being one country by expanding it out to Pasifika... are they going to be playing in Tonga, Samoa and Fiji, as well as PNG?

Suddenly it would lose any sort of cultural aspect it's meant to have in the first place... those countries have international teams already. Give them more games instead.

PNG would fail. We might get a year or two of fun, a few good stories of players handing their jerseys to the crowd and then teams will start complaining about the distance traveled, the security needed etc.. You just need to look at SmartTraveller to see how dangerous the place is.

I guess teams do travel to Penrith pretty often.

So we get a PPNGCQP+ team in basically - how is that for being progressive!

And then players are asked, who do you play for? What area does your team represent?

Answer: Yes

Fair amount of Papua New Guineans have scoffed at the idea. We're not ready for one and don't want one with the amount of political issues we have back home that need resolving. QCup players have to take Malaria meds to travel up when they play the Hunters. Fucken pipedream, set up a team in WA or SA ffs

So what's the point if they're not even based there?

Are they going to travel most weeks either to an away venue or back to PNG and play in Port Morseby... or is it going to be PNG by name only and effectively a Cairns team.

They can't even stick to it being one country by expanding it out to Pasifika... are they going to be playing in Tonga, Samoa and Fiji, as well as PNG?

Suddenly it would lose any sort of cultural aspect it's meant to have in the first place... those countries have international teams already. Give them more games instead.
It's the only way to make a team like this because you can't base a team in PNG, no one will sign and it would be Dangerous anyway, I assume it will have a mixture of games being played in Cairns, PNG and whatever other pacific islands they plan on.

I don't think it's a cultural aspect club atleast for one culture but a way to give them top line NRL games they would never get and keep them in the Australian sphere of influence(the primary reason given this is Aus Government pushed).

The only way this is considered a top bid is because the money involved must be huge tbh.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Johnny92
  • Cavalo
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • RolledOates
  • jd87
  • Galah
  • ostin86
  • Fozz
  • MrRobot
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Behold
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Wolfie
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.