OPINION Broncos Backrower Bench hole

These two should not be on the regressed list .

I wouldn't say 'stagnated or regressed' is a good description for a few of those players. 'Stagnated' in particular has quite negative connotations, but not progressing is not equivalent to regressing, and not necessarily a bad thing.

Coates is arguably at about the same level he was at when he left, which is adequate to be an incumbent Origin winger. Does anyone think he'd have significantly improved had he stayed? Fifita has played something like five Origins since going to the Titans. Su'A debuted and played four Origins after he left us.

Even someone like McCullough - when he left, he was what he was, and no one could of expected him to suddenly become Cam Smith following a change of jerseys. He maintained his particular level of quality for as long as he could before regressing with age. Same goes for a guy like McGuire.

I would say last season and to begin this season Coates has improved .
Kodi has gone on to play a lot of 1st grade at a high level .

Does Oates solve this role for now that is the big question, I do feel like every time he has came on we have noticed it in the 2 games soo far that said I think going forward it needs to happen earlier, in the Cowboys game Kevvie just benched Hunt but in the Storm game He moved him to the middle when Oates came on.

Either way at this stage I think there is some solid basis for having Oates as that Second row option, but Imo he shouldn't be ruled out for middle either if needed earlier in the game, he runs fucking hard and has the body for it.

Our squad would be helped alot though if Kobe learned to be an edge player, he is our smallest middle by a margin(outside the hookers obviously) and you would think it's a role he should have the ability to adapt to quite easily due to that, it hurts our ability to cover positions while he is unable to do it.

I would say last season and to begin this season Coates has improved .
Kodi has gone on to play a lot of 1st grade at a high level .
I mean Coates scored of a high catch for the first time in ever but it was once not sure yet if I can say this is a consistent measure, he still often refrains from doing it favouring the bat back knowing how shit he is at it usually.

I would say to be fair this is probably his best season thus far at this stage.

Although his defence at 2nd row is still yet to be put to the test, Oates has impressed me with his stints.

His run and quick play the ball largely led to te kura's try. He ran a great line at a gap and forcing a legs tackle by a smaller man which left Melbourne scrambled at the ruck

As 2nd row and outside back cover, he has been doing a reasonable job.

Even if the likes of Baker, Tapau, Hunt, etc. play horribly, and get exposed weekly, I get the feeling that we will just stick with them anyway. I feel like the only way we will go out and buy a player mid-season if we get an extended injury list and have no one left to fill in.
This comment was pre-emptive, with both back rowers, haas and even hoetier out. A young blokecoming through the rsnks would be ideal about now.
The only option i can see is to push staggs in a spot or carrigan out a spot. Neither is ideal but i would prefer it of staggs as carrigan in the middle is far more important to the team, or perhaps push baker to 2nd row.
Is ben te kura back now? I hope he has been working on his defemce.

Working with what we've got, I think as a short term solution, Staggs would be able to handle being in the backrow for 80mins. We also have more backline depth and more options to work with to cover Staggs, despite the Hoeter injury.

Carrigan can do a job in the backrow, but then we lose all his work through the middle. I hope we don't do that, especially with Haas out, and Baker starting.

Willison could probably do short stints out wide, but he is possibly more important to us in the front row.

Though, I think we need to give Hetherington time in the backrow to see if he can handle it. I don't see why he couldn't. With Willison and Te Kura in the squad to cover front row, Hetherington probably does not need to exclusively play through the middle anymore. If he can learn to play on an edge, then he is the perfect modern day utility that can play lock, front row, backrow and hooker.

I mean Coates scored of a high catch for the first time in ever but it was once not sure yet if I can say this is a consistent measure, he still often refrains from doing it favouring the bat back knowing how shit he is at it usually.

I would say to be fair this is probably his best season thus far at this stage.

He was Melbournes best player award winner last season ...

I actually wonder if Piakura would be better served coming off of the bench for the time being. Don't get me wrong, he is extremely talented and is worthy of starting. However it does seem like he gets injured a fair bit.

So would he be better served for the time being playing the SR/C role off the bench for the time, being even at full strength with Hunt staying at second row?

I actually wonder if Piakura would be better served coming off of the bench for the time being. Don't get me wrong, he is extremely talented and is worthy of starting. However it does seem like he gets injured a fair bit.

So would he be better served for the time being playing the SR/C role off the bench for the time, being even at full strength with Hunt staying at second row?
No. Whenever piakura is ready he should he straight back into the starting side. I'd take him 80% fit over hunt

Who would you start instead?

No. Whenever piakura is ready he should he straight back into the starting side. I'd take him 80% fit over hunt
I agree that he is a better player than Hunt, but with the way the teams are structured these days, would we get more impact out of his line running if his role allowed him to swap sides?

When fully fit defensive lines are gonna have to decide who to tackle during our sweeping plays. The ball could be going to Mam, Walsh, cobbo, piakura or Arthars...

Goodluck working out which weapon ends up with the ball and goodluck stopping it.

Active Now

• heartly87
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • rj9
  • broncsgoat
  • maddo
  • Fozz
  • Lurker
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.